Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

✨ Polaris (& PP) Retrofits: Schedule, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2017, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: kirkwoodj
Check the current status of aircraft reconfigured (or delivered) with new Polaris seats: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris...-desktop-4/p/3.

A Polaris Update and Polaris Mod Schedule to indicate the status of specific aircraft are maintained by those that manage the United Airlines Fleet Website.

Except for 773- and 781-operated flights, and those markets selling Premium Plus, Polaris-equipped planes have not been allocated to specific routes. You won't know until approx. 36-48 hours before departure if you'll have a newly reconfigured aircraft, and even then, it may be replaced with a non-retrofitted aircraft.

777-300ER - All 22 aircraft have Polaris (60 seats) and installation of Premium Plus cabins (24 seats) is complete.

767-300ER - As of September 2020, 31 of the 38 aircraft have been reconfigured with the Polaris seats.
- Retrofit is from 3-cabin to 2-cabin with direct-aisle-access seats. No 3-cabin 767s remain in service.
- 76A configuration is 30J/50Y+/134Y, total of 214; fleet to consist of 17 ships (former 3-cabin 767s).
- 76L configuration is 46J/22PE/47Y+/52Y; fleet to consist of 21 ships (18 former 2-cabin 76C and 3 used ships from Hawaiian).

767-400ER - [16 aircraft] None updated yet; modifications put on hold due to Covid-19.

777-200ER - As of September 2020, 46 of the 50 aircraft have been reconfigured with Polaris and Premium Plus seats.
- Configuration is 50 Polaris seats, 32 in the front cabin and 18 in the second cabin (behind 2L/R)
- Configuration is 10 across in economy, with 24 Premium Plus seats, 46 86 E+ seats and 156 E seats, with E+ in front economy cabin plus exit rows and bulkhead at 3L/R, i.e., almost the same as current pmCO planes, except with 4 seats in middle section.
- Seat map (v5) on united.com

787-8, 787-9 - As of November 2022, all 787-8/9 are converted or in mod. No chance of flying old configuration anymore.
- 788 configuration has 28 Polaris seats (20 in front cabin, 8 in rear mini-cabin), and 21 Premium Plus seats (2-3-2).
- 789 configuration has 48 Polaris seats (32 in front cabin, 16 in rear mini-cabin), and 21 Premium Plus seats (2-3-2).

787-10 - 13 787-10s have been delivered in 2020. All come with Polaris and Premium Plus cabins factory-installed. Another 19 should be added by 2024.

FAQ:
Q: Does a Polaris ticket mean the aircraft has the new Polaris seat?

A: No, Polaris is the label UA uses for long haul international business class. It is also the label UA uses for the new seats, so this does create some confusion.
All the 773s and 787-10s are 100% the new seat.
The rest of the long haul fleet in various stages of conversion, see http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris...-desktop-4/p/3

Q: How to tell if my aircraft is the new style Polaris seats?
A: If the unassigned business class section is showing orange seats or all the seats are side-by-side or there is a section for 4 adjacent seats in the middle, this is an old style lie-flat aircreaft
If the unassigned bussines class seats are dark blue seats or the all the seats appear to have direct aisle access, then you aircraft is the new Polaris seat.
You can also look at the FT maintained, United Fleet Site and crosscheck the tail number or check thePolaris Update tab

Q: How to tell if my aircraft has the new PremiumPlus (PP) / Premium Economy seats?
A: If the unassigned seats just behind business class are purple seats or the aircraft is 773 or 787-10, then yes. However, the purple color seat will only show on routes where PP is being sold.
Aircraft with PP seats are being used on some routes but are not being sold as PP. In those cases, the seats are considered to be a part of E+. In those cases, an indicator of PP sold as E+ will be if the first few rows of economy, there are just 2 seats on the sides (with the rest of E+ showing 3 seats).

Q: Will the aircraft I see at booking be the same configuration at flight time?
A: Unfortunately with the fleet in transit, aircraft swaps happen. UA tends to use placeholders until 2 days before travel and even after that last minute swaps do happen.

Q: My flight seat map shows 772 with polaris seats is it a retrofit?
A: Possibly. The flight status page shows the most accurate scheduled aircraft. If a 77W is swapped in, it will list the aircraft as 777-300ER. However, if the 772's seatmap shows blue rectangular boxes in the business class cabin instead of orange "pointy rounds", this would indicate that a retrofit aircraft has been swapped.

See also: United Future/Changed Routes w/ Polaris seats

Print Wikipost

✨ Polaris (& PP) Retrofits: Schedule, ....

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2017, 5:11 pm

Now Kirby and Munoz are to blame for losing F? That's a new one.

This decision was made back in 2012 and to state anything other wise is just a mispresentation of the facts. The product was kept around this long due to a lack of a suitable global business class product, not to mention the fact that 777s were still being outfitted with Smisek took over.

I am sure Kirby can see the value in F - he comes form an airline that right-sized it under it's previous regime. Unfortunately for UAL, the 2-cabin only project is far too far down the line to modify it at this stage. This is far from an inditment that 3-class could ever have value at UAL, as you're trying to establish.

And as far as trying to smear 3-class United First as "bankruptcy era product", how about we realize it for what it truly was - a vestige of when UAL was the only carrier with both Bermuda II and 5th freedom NRT rights, and offered a flat bed seat a good 8 years before when any of the smaller regional US airlines launched their lie flat business class. There's a reason why Global Services existed at UAL.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Rumor has it the first 767 for the Polaris mod is at HAECO. The aircraft is N642UA, a 1991-build with about 105k hours and 16k cycles. It's not the highest-time 767 in the fleet, but it's up there. I'm hard-pressed to think of another example of a major cabin retrofit program going into an older fleet, at least among US carriers.

Waiting for confirmation that an interior mod is the reason for its XMN trip... we can reasonably expect it to take well into the Spring before it is back in service.

Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
While I know EWR764 will ridicule me for saying this, but the sCO J seat is not a 'solid' seat for $7.5K on a 14 hour flight. Especially when you are not in a bulkhead.
I'd only ridicule you for paying for a seat you didn't find acceptable ... $$$ talks and BS walks!

Last edited by EWR764; Feb 6, 2017 at 6:35 pm
Old Feb 6, 2017, 5:59 pm

N642UA is posted on another site as headed to XMN 2/8/17, which may mean regular maintenance.

All that history is great, but times have surely changed and the facts show that UA has a very small number of GF seats. I would say way to0 small to market in any fashion especially when widebodies have between just 6, 8 and 12 GF seats per aircraft.

Out of 130,090 total seats in the current UA mainline fleet, only 614 are active GF seats, or 0.47% of all seats in the fleet.

Of the 614 GF seats, 216 744 seats will be gone in under 8 months and Polaris conversion of the 126 total seats on 3 class 763s and 264 seats on the sUA 772ERs will start shorly.

It's past time to move on as quickly as possible.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 6:45 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UASleeper
I actually have been hoping for a more formal and transparent roll out schedule with respect to the retrofits. I can't see how a custom designed seat deal can be stopped contractually, if for example customer feedback based upon 777ER hub-to-hub flights are somehow different than the "over 12,000 hours of research with 350 customers" that lead to the new seat design. It doesn't have to be a progress chart on United's webpage that shows conversion percentages for each plane type like Continental did when it introduced its flatbed seat or United has been doing to track inflight wifi (although that would be nice) but some announcement that shows a somewhat equally ambitious retrofit schedule that matches Polaris' aggressive Polaris marketing since June 2016 would underline United's seriousness to transform the company into a competitive airline that cares about its customers. How about an announcement this month that the first 763 is being retrofitted? ��
Not from UA, but there is an excellent site run by enthusiasts here.

https://sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/home

Click on the Mainline Tab and the type of aircraft you are tracking, in your case 63/4.

It has been very helpful to me over the years.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bunky
N642UA is posted on another site as headed to XMN 2/8/17, which may mean regular maintenance.

All that history is great, but times have surely changed and the facts show that UA has a very small number of GF seats. I would say way to0 small to market in any fashion especially when widebodies have between just 6, 8 and 12 GF seats per aircraft.

Out of 130,090 total seats in the current UA mainline fleet, only 614 are active GF seats, or 0.47% of all seats in the fleet.

Of the 614 GF seats, 216 744 seats will be gone in under 8 months and Polaris conversion of the 126 total seats on 3 class 763s and 264 seats on the sUA 772ERs will start shorly.

It's past time to move on as quickly as possible.
your last comment applies to high value fliers quite well...

i think the kevanyalowitz and tuolomne comments are well taken that the current Polaris hard product plans are a step behind what will be league leading in 2020 if not now. And that is the very best UA will have to offer. Up to now the backstop to a lesser C has been IFC. Now the backstop to the tired 789 C seat is ...???

why wouldn't anyone pick SQ/CX to Asia or EK eastbound?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
From what it looked like on the Facebook video LH has their current 2-2-2 J seat on their new A350. One would think they're like UA and finally due for aisle access.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
Took a stab at 772 seat configuration

Originally Posted by Bunky
So the sUA 772...that makes sense, since the sCO are all 2-class. And sUA772 presumably would be more flexible to interchange with 77W (in SFO, and presumably ORD later).

Not sure if it's been bothering anyone else, but I tried working out how 50 seats could fit, and came up with this possibility:

This assumes sUA doesn't have a flight crew rest pod (I don't think they do, since I always see the relief pilot in J). So 1DG can be moved forward, which makes room for 7DG/8DG. Also assumes they don't want to move the lavs by Door 2. (The lavs by Door 1 are not correct, but I didn't want to spend time fixing the drawing.) Note the dead space by the last window seat on either side.

I like this layout better:

But I doubt they want to redo lavs for 20-year old birds, especially if it doesn't increase seat density.

And I don't see crew rest pods for the same reason...so it seems probable that they will often need to block one of these precious seats for crew rest.

Again, this is a total guess on my part. Won't even call it speculation.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by tuolumne
Now Kirby and Munoz are to blame for losing F? That's a new one.

This decision was made back in 2012 and to state anything other wise is just a mispresentation of the facts. The product was kept around this long due to a lack of a suitable global business class product, not to mention the fact that 777s were still being outfitted with Smisek took over.
Kirby and Munoz accelerated the demise, moving the 747 retirement up a full year.

We don't know where Kirby stands on 3 cabin, other than his team gutted its traditional presence on JFK / LHR in favor of ultra long haul / Latam. Who knows what the order would have looked like had it been made post 2013.

Originally Posted by tuolumne
And as far as trying to smear 3-class United First as "bankruptcy era product", how about we realize it for what it truly was - a vestige of when UAL was the only carrier with both Bermuda II and 5th freedom NRT rights, and offered a flat bed seat a good 8 years before when any of the smaller regional US airlines launched their lie flat business class. There's a reason why Global Services existed at UAL.
I'm referring to the GS program, an institution created during bankruptcy, cementing upgrades from biz to first as a carrot for people to pay for biz.

UA had a surplus of int'l widebody capacity around post 2001 thanks to Stephen Wolf's grandiose order, and that was a patch to get the utilization up by effectively discounting F.

It was an option for HVF before GS, but the program reinforced that benefit. Going forward I'd anticipate GS to be less of a discount mechanism for the premium cabin and deliver expanded high touch service / convenience benefits.

Last edited by cerealmarketer; Feb 6, 2017 at 9:00 pm
Old Feb 15, 2017, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, M Life Gold, SIXT Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum, Global Entry
I am not sure if any of the following has been posted elsewhere on FT, but Flight Global has a very good article about the retrofit schedule for the 763 and 772.

According to FG's article, United plans to retrofit 14 of its (pmUA IPTE?)763 starting in April of this year with the first retrofitted 763 entering service sometimes in the third quarter of 2017.

The first of 55 772 is supposed to receive Polaris seats in the fourth quarter of 2017 and will enter service "early 2018."

The article even includes an announcement that even the 788 and 789 will receive Polaris starting in 2018 ("").

There is more details in the article about seat configuration, density, width, and length of the Polaris seat depending on the aircraft type, as well as a mentioning about UA's fleet restructuring thoughts that may (or may not) include the search for a replacement of the 763. (Note that only 14 of the existing 35 763 aircraft are earmarked for retrofitting. I assume that the remaining 762 are pmCO equipment already fitted with CO flatbed seats and not pmUA IPTE seats which will remain unchanged at least for now until UA has decided for how much longer it wants to keep in the 763 in its fleet.)

Here is a link to the article: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...ris-re-434124/
Old Feb 15, 2017, 12:59 pm

The article says 787s would start getting retrofitted when they went through D checks. I was under the impression that the 787 does not have a D check as part of its maintenance program.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:20 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
If what the article is correct, I could speculate that they're doing the 763s first since they are the oldest, and then will do the 788s and 789s last since they will be around the longest, all while avoiding removing too many planes from service at once.

Honestly, given the reputation of fleet inconsistency, it may be better not to be working on too many types of aircraft at once.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by phkc070408
Honestly, given the reputation of fleet inconsistency, it may be better not to be working on too many types of aircraft at once.
+1,000,000
Old Feb 16, 2017, 6:55 am

Good article. Also of note the 787 seat will be 1-2-1 and they'll make each seat unit longer to handle the cabin width which sounds like a win.

Interesting the first D checks are next year so at least those planes won't wait as long as feared to start getting the seats.

Originally Posted by UASleeper
I am not sure if any of the following has been posted elsewhere on FT, but Flight Global has a very good article about the retrofit schedule for the 763 and 772.

According to FG's article, United plans to retrofit 14 of its (pmUA IPTE?)763 starting in April of this year with the first retrofitted 763 entering service sometimes in the third quarter of 2017.

The first of 55 772 is supposed to receive Polaris seats in the fourth quarter of 2017 and will enter service "early 2018."

The article even includes an announcement that even the 788 and 789 will receive Polaris starting in 2018 ("").

There is more details in the article about seat configuration, density, width, and length of the Polaris seat depending on the aircraft type, as well as a mentioning about UA's fleet restructuring thoughts that may (or may not) include the search for a replacement of the 763. (Note that only 14 of the existing 35 763 aircraft are earmarked for retrofitting. I assume that the remaining 762 are pmCO equipment already fitted with CO flatbed seats and not pmUA IPTE seats which will remain unchanged at least for now until UA has decided for how much longer it wants to keep in the 763 in its fleet.)

Here is a link to the article: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...ris-re-434124/
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
At the risk of returning this thread back to its original intent, i.e., the refit schedule, and not the continuing laments about the speculated nature of the J seats, let me repose the question that I (and most people actually flying UA) find important -- what is the presumed schedule for 772 refits?

The reason why this is the most important is not to do with J, it is to do with Y. By going to 10-abreast on the 772, Y is unquestionably taking a severe downgrade -- no speculation about it. (787, 767 and 757 Y should be relatively unscathed.) So back to the question -- what is the schedule for 772 refits -- and will pmUA birds be refit before pmCO birds? Or the reverse? Or both together. I am booking some leisure trips 9 to 12 months in advance, and would like to know what to avoid.

BTW, there are factors beyond J seat comfort that will only become known after some experience with the 773s. For example, how easy will it be for FAs to serve PAX in the J window seats? Will they be continually handing trays over the top of the aisle seat PAX to reach the tucked-away window PAX? This could get old rather fast for the FA, for the window seat PAX who now has to hand up and down his tray, and for the unlucky aisle seat PAX who will be underneath passed trays that are almost surely going to be dropped from time to time.

Last edited by seenitall; Feb 16, 2017 at 7:40 am
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Also of note the 787 seat will be 1-2-1 and they'll make each seat unit longer to handle the cabin width which sounds like a win.
What does cabin width have to do with a longer seat unit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.