Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

United Airlines | MileagePlus

✨ Polaris (& PP) Retrofits: Schedule, ....

✨ Polaris (& PP) Retrofits: Schedule, ....

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 28, 22, 5:35 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: dkc192
Wiki Link
Check the current status of aircraft reconfigured (or delivered) with new Polaris seats: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris...-desktop-4/p/3.

A Polaris Update and Polaris Mod Schedule to indicate the status of specific aircraft are maintained by those that manage the United Airlines Fleet Website.

Except for 773- and 781-operated flights, and those markets selling Premium Plus, Polaris-equipped planes have not been allocated to specific routes. You won't know until approx. 36-48 hours before departure if you'll have a newly reconfigured aircraft, and even then, it may be replaced with a non-retrofitted aircraft.

777-300ER - All 22 aircraft have Polaris (60 seats) and installation of Premium Plus cabins (24 seats) is complete.

767-300ER - As of September 2020, 31 of the 38 aircraft have been reconfigured with the Polaris seats.
- Retrofit is from 3-cabin to 2-cabin with direct-aisle-access seats. No 3-cabin 767s remain in service.
- 76A configuration is 30J/50Y+/134Y, total of 214; fleet to consist of 17 ships (former 3-cabin 767s).
- 76L configuration is 46J/22PE/47Y+/52Y; fleet to consist of 21 ships (18 former 2-cabin 76C and 3 used ships from Hawaiian).

767-400ER - [16 aircraft] None updated yet; modifications put on hold due to Covid-19.

777-200ER - As of September 2020, 46 of the 50 aircraft have been reconfigured with Polaris and Premium Plus seats.
- Configuration is 50 Polaris seats, 32 in the front cabin and 18 in the second cabin (behind 2L/R)
- Configuration is 10 across in economy, with 24 Premium Plus seats, 46 86 E+ seats and 156 E seats, with E+ in front economy cabin plus exit rows and bulkhead at 3L/R, i.e., almost the same as current pmCO planes, except with 4 seats in middle section.
- Seat map (v5) on united.com

787-8, 787-9 - As of September 2020, 6 out of 12 788s and 9 out of 32 789s (2 modded, 7 new deliveries) are in the Polaris configuration. 6 more 789s are on order and will come with Polaris and Premium Plus.
- Retrofits/mods were paused in spring 2020 to conserve capex, reports that they will resume in fall 2020.
- 788 configuration has 28 Polaris seats (20 in front cabin, 8 in rear mini-cabin), and 21 Premium Plus seats (2-3-2).
- 789 configuration has 48 Polaris seats (32 in front cabin, 16 in rear mini-cabin), and 21 Premium Plus seats (2-3-2).

787-10 - 13 787-10s have been delivered in 2020. All come with Polaris and Premium Plus cabins factory-installed. Another 19 should be added by 2024.

FAQ:
Q: Does a Polaris ticket mean the aircraft has the new Polaris seat?

A: No, Polaris is the label UA uses for long haul international business class. It is also the label UA uses for the new seats, so this does create some confusion.
All the 773s and 787-10s are 100% the new seat.
The rest of the long haul fleet in various stages of conversion, see http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris...-desktop-4/p/3

Q: How to tell if my aircraft is the new style Polaris seats?
A: If the unassigned business class section is showing orange seats or all the seats are side-by-side or there is a section for 4 adjacent seats in the middle, this is an old style lie-flat aircreaft
If the unassigned bussines class seats are dark blue seats or the all the seats appear to have direct aisle access, then you aircraft is the new Polaris seat.
You can also look at the FT maintained, United Fleet Site and crosscheck the tail number or check thePolaris Update tab

Q: How to tell if my aircraft has the new PremiumPlus (PP) / Premium Economy seats?
A: If the unassigned seats just behind business class are purple seats or the aircraft is 773 or 787-10, then yes. However, the purple color seat will only show on routes where PP is being sold.
Aircraft with PP seats are being used on some routes but are not being sold as PP. In those cases, the seats are considered to be a part of E+. In those cases, an indicator of PP sold as E+ will be if the first few rows of economy, there are just 2 seats on the sides (with the rest of E+ showing 3 seats).

Q: Will the aircraft I see at booking be the same configuration at flight time?
A: Unfortunately with the fleet in transit, aircraft swaps happen. UA tends to use placeholders until 2 days before travel and even after that last minute swaps do happen.

Q: My flight seat map shows 772 with polaris seats is it a retrofit?
A: Possibly. The flight status page shows the most accurate scheduled aircraft. If a 77W is swapped in, it will list the aircraft as 777-300ER. However, if the 772's seatmap shows blue rectangular boxes in the business class cabin instead of orange "pointy rounds", this would indicate that a retrofit aircraft has been swapped.

See also: United Future/Changed Routes w/ Polaris seats

Print Wikipost

Old Oct 19, 22, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Speaking of High J configuration, PMUA had a track record of it. Here is an example in 747-400 OP (747-200 also had similar configuration).

You can see 36 of former spacious United First seats. 123 seats of former Connoisseur Class/ United Business.

I remember flying JFK-NRT, ORD-NRT, SFO-PVG, SFO-PEK, LAX-HKG and HKG-DEL in this configuration.

wxguy, EWR764, aindfan and 1 others like this.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Oct 20, 22 at 10:04 am
Old Oct 20, 22, 7:44 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM/Lifetime UC, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer View Post
Speaking of High J configuration, PMUA had a track record of it. Here is an example in 747-400 OP (747-200) also had similar configuration.

You can see 36 of former spacious United First seats. 123 seats of former Connoisseur Class/ United Business.

I remember flying JFK-NRT, ORD-NRT, SFO-PVG, SFO-PEK, LAX-HKG and HKG-DEL in this configuration.

As long as I get my wall phone...
MysteryTour likes this.
Old Oct 20, 22, 8:03 am

Programs: UA MM 1K
Speaking of High J configuration, PMUA had a track record of it. Here is an example in 747-400 OP (747-200) also had similar configuration.

By today's standards, this would be a cruel joke. F seats without aisle access? We don't tolerate that for J anymore. And middle seats in J? Horrors! Of course one could say the old J is the new PE, but stil....
EWR764 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 22, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
By today's standards, this would be a cruel joke. F seats without aisle access? We don't tolerate that for J anymore. And middle seats in J? Horrors! Of course one could say the old J is the new PE, but stil....
It is quite amazing airlines have significantly improve the seat comfort and innovative on the cabin layout to provide maximum space over the years.

The 747-400OP confiuration was a leader at the time (over 25 years ago). The United Business seats were wider than the IPTF seats. The United First seats, although lack all aisle access feature and today's hi-tech IFE, are flat and so comfortable (I would argue more comfortable than Polaris seats) with thick padding. Catering was better 25 years ago. United International F was a seven-couse meal with vodka, caviar, lobster bisque, salad made to order, chateaubriad/rack of lamb carved in front of the F passengers and a fine wine list. I often get a complimentry bottle of wine or champange from the purser upon deplaning.

Old Oct 20, 22, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
It is quite amazing airlines have significantly improve the seat comfort and innovative on the cabin layout to provide maximum space over the years.

The 747-400OP confiuration was a leader at the time (over 25 years ago). The United Business seats were wider than the IPTF seats. The United First seats, although lack all aisle access feature and today's hi-tech IFE, are flat and so comfortable (I would argue more comfortable than Polaris seats) with thick padding. Catering was better 25 years ago. United International F was a seven-couse meal with vodka, caviar, lobster bisque, salad made to order, chateaubriad/rack of lamb carved in front of the F passengers and a fine wine list. I often get a complimentry bottle of wine or champange from the purser upon deplaning.

I have a lot of nostalgia for that era to me, the 90s were really peak United.

Premium cabin food service on United these days makes even the post-merger catering look positively decadent by comparison.
Old Oct 20, 22, 12:09 pm

Programs: churning and burning
Yes, the good old days of 747 F class:
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Oct 20, 22, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
Premium cabin food service on United these days makes even the post-merger catering look positively decadent by comparison.
the first year of Polaris soft product was absolutely spectacular compared to what is served now.
Xyzzy, ll22949, EWR764 and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 20, 22, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120 View Post
the first year of Polaris soft product was absolutely spectacular compared to what is served now.
It really was. I hope United is thinking ahead on how to wow customers.
Old Oct 20, 22, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by halls120 View Post
And then, as with everything else, the costs became far too irresistible to middle managers looking to pinch pennies, and the cuts began. Not to mention FAs complaining about workload...
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Oct 20, 22, 7:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
I have a lot of nostalgia for that era… ....
Yes BUT this is the Polaris (of today) Retrofit thread. If folks want to continue the walk thru nostalgia, contact a Mod and we can pull the past 10+ posts into a new thread.

Now returning to the advertised subject.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
EWR764 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 22, 4:59 pm

For the 767-400 fliers, aircraft 3061 back in service with Polaris/PP.
ContinentalFan and kirkwoodj like this.

Search this Thread