Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

✨ Polaris (& PP) Retrofits: Schedule, ....

Old May 29, 17, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: kirkwoodj
Check the current status of aircraft reconfigured (or delivered) with new Polaris seats: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris...-desktop-4/p/3.

A Polaris Update and Polaris Mod Schedule to indicate the status of specific aircraft are maintained by those that manage the United Airlines Fleet Website.

Except for 773- and 781-operated flights, and those markets selling Premium Plus, Polaris-equipped planes have not been allocated to specific routes. You won't know until approx. 36-48 hours before departure if you'll have a newly reconfigured aircraft, and even then, it may be replaced with a non-retrofitted aircraft.

777-300ER - All 22 aircraft have Polaris (60 seats) and installation of Premium Plus cabins (24 seats) is complete.

767-300ER - As of September 2020, 31 of the 38 aircraft have been reconfigured with the Polaris seats.
- Retrofit is from 3-cabin to 2-cabin with direct-aisle-access seats. No 3-cabin 767s remain in service.
- 76A configuration is 30J/50Y+/134Y, total of 214; fleet to consist of 17 ships (former 3-cabin 767s).
- 76L configuration is 46J/22PE/47Y+/52Y; fleet to consist of 21 ships (18 former 2-cabin 76C and 3 used ships from Hawaiian).

767-400ER - [16 aircraft] None updated yet; modifications put on hold due to Covid-19.

777-200ER - As of September 2020, 46 of the 50 aircraft have been reconfigured with Polaris and Premium Plus seats.
- Configuration is 50 Polaris seats, 32 in the front cabin and 18 in the second cabin (behind 2L/R)
- Configuration is 10 across in economy, with 24 Premium Plus seats, 46 86 E+ seats and 156 E seats, with E+ in front economy cabin plus exit rows and bulkhead at 3L/R, i.e., almost the same as current pmCO planes, except with 4 seats in middle section.
- Seat map (v5) on united.com

787-8, 787-9 - As of November 2022, all 787-8/9 are converted or in mod. No chance of flying old configuration anymore.
- 788 configuration has 28 Polaris seats (20 in front cabin, 8 in rear mini-cabin), and 21 Premium Plus seats (2-3-2).
- 789 configuration has 48 Polaris seats (32 in front cabin, 16 in rear mini-cabin), and 21 Premium Plus seats (2-3-2).

787-10 - 13 787-10s have been delivered in 2020. All come with Polaris and Premium Plus cabins factory-installed. Another 19 should be added by 2024.

FAQ:
Q: Does a Polaris ticket mean the aircraft has the new Polaris seat?

A: No, Polaris is the label UA uses for long haul international business class. It is also the label UA uses for the new seats, so this does create some confusion.
All the 773s and 787-10s are 100% the new seat.
The rest of the long haul fleet in various stages of conversion, see http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris...-desktop-4/p/3

Q: How to tell if my aircraft is the new style Polaris seats?
A: If the unassigned business class section is showing orange seats or all the seats are side-by-side or there is a section for 4 adjacent seats in the middle, this is an old style lie-flat aircreaft
If the unassigned bussines class seats are dark blue seats or the all the seats appear to have direct aisle access, then you aircraft is the new Polaris seat.
You can also look at the FT maintained, United Fleet Site and crosscheck the tail number or check thePolaris Update tab

Q: How to tell if my aircraft has the new PremiumPlus (PP) / Premium Economy seats?
A: If the unassigned seats just behind business class are purple seats or the aircraft is 773 or 787-10, then yes. However, the purple color seat will only show on routes where PP is being sold.
Aircraft with PP seats are being used on some routes but are not being sold as PP. In those cases, the seats are considered to be a part of E+. In those cases, an indicator of PP sold as E+ will be if the first few rows of economy, there are just 2 seats on the sides (with the rest of E+ showing 3 seats).

Q: Will the aircraft I see at booking be the same configuration at flight time?
A: Unfortunately with the fleet in transit, aircraft swaps happen. UA tends to use placeholders until 2 days before travel and even after that last minute swaps do happen.

Q: My flight seat map shows 772 with polaris seats is it a retrofit?
A: Possibly. The flight status page shows the most accurate scheduled aircraft. If a 77W is swapped in, it will list the aircraft as 777-300ER. However, if the 772's seatmap shows blue rectangular boxes in the business class cabin instead of orange "pointy rounds", this would indicate that a retrofit aircraft has been swapped.

See also: United Future/Changed Routes w/ Polaris seats

Print Wikipost

✨ Polaris (& PP) Retrofits: Schedule, ....

Old May 5, 22, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by coolbeans202 View Post
Same. I actually prefer the old seats.
they are a better way to work on a domestic flight - Much more perceived space and airy during a day flight.

don't want them when I'm going to SIN.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old May 5, 22, 2:48 pm

Sure enough, 45956 is on SFO-SIN tomorrow. So ridiculous.

I'm flying UA1 SFO-SIN solo in J, in two weeks. The fact that I have to worry about having to do that 17 hours in old config is absurd. The longest flight in the network, only running 3 or 4 days a week, and they can't protect it? Look, I get it - first world problems and it's a stupid seat on a plane. But it was part of the reason I booked with UA for this trip. Had I known there was uncertainty, I would have booked with SQ. MX happens. Weather happens. etc. But you can't convince me United cares about brand or customers when they leave every 789 passenger across their network guessing on what product will be delivered. It's not even like you could re-route, as 4 flights a week in total nothing to change to.
Old May 5, 22, 2:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by phranticaw View Post
Sure enough, 45956 is on SFO-SIN tomorrow. So ridiculous.

I'm flying UA1 SFO-SIN solo in J, in two weeks. The fact that I have to worry about having to do that 17 hours in old config is absurd. The longest flight in the network, only running 3 or 4 days a week, and they can't protect it? Look, I get it - first world problems and it's a stupid seat on a plane. But it was part of the reason I booked with UA for this trip. Had I known there was uncertainty, I would have booked with SQ. MX happens. Weather happens. etc. But you can't convince me United cares about brand or customers when they leave every 789 passenger across their network guessing on what product will be delivered. It's not even like you could re-route, as 4 flights a week in total nothing to change to.
Just criminal to do this in this route at this time.
Milwaukee likes this.
Old May 5, 22, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Twice in nine days (on a non-daily route) is terrible. Don't forget that PP pax get hosed too, as they get downgraded to E+.

Has anyone found out why they've not brought in any of the remaining four 789s into XMN for retrofit? There is at least one mod/maint line open right now, with ship 3907 (a 788) in for heavy MX and only ship 3973 in for retrofit.
uastarflyer likes this.
Old May 6, 22, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by dkc192 View Post
Twice in nine days (on a non-daily route) is terrible. Don't forget that PP pax get hosed too, as they get downgraded to E+.

Has anyone found out why they've not brought in any of the remaining four 789s into XMN for retrofit? There is at least one mod/maint line open right now, with ship 3907 (a 788) in for heavy MX and only ship 3973 in for retrofit.
With China's COVID-19 crackdown, the planes might get stuck?

David
Old May 6, 22, 4:46 am

Programs: UA 4.2MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by dkc192 View Post

It could also be that the continued delay of 777-200HD reintroduction means they need all of the ships they can get to meet anticipated schedule needs. Don't forget, some of the 789s already converted may be scheduled for other maintenance and unavailable, and the 789 is the only type that can fly some of the ultra-longhaul routes. So UA could be proactively keeping the Diamond seat 789s available until they see enough slack in the system to schedule them for mods.
JimInOhio likes this.
Old May 6, 22, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by wxguy View Post
It could also be that the continued delay of 777-200HD reintroduction means they need all of the ships they can get to meet anticipated schedule needs. Don't forget, some of the 789s already converted may be scheduled for other maintenance and unavailable, and the 789 is the only type that can fly some of the ultra-longhaul routes. So UA could be proactively keeping the Diamond seat 789s available until they see enough slack in the system to schedule them for mods.
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
. ... Right now, demand in all markets save for Asia is screaming back, and United was planning to be reintroducing its PW 777s by now. It hasn't been able to do so, and the 777/787 fleet is consequently stretched very thin. I understand Polaris mods for the last 4 789s are being temporarily held (we are talking weeks, not months) to enable UA to fly its schedule until the PW 772s reenter service. This also factors into the delayed launch of 764 Polaris mods and Premium Plus adds to the 76A fleet (that was also due to be underway by now)...
That seems to be the main reasoning.

I'm just hoping they're able to get a few more in before our trip in Mid-July. I don't mind an equipment swap itself, since I agree the Diamond seat it pretty nice, however it's the seat assignment lottery that comes with an equipment swap that is inconvenient.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 6, 22, 4:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
The main reasoning is UA prioritized the wrong planes for early refit. This begins with Smisek and ends with Kirby.

Now we have to hope we dont see ghetto 789s on 17 hour trips. Unconscionable.
PACLipper likes this.
Old May 6, 22, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Perhaps we can pivot this thread back to sharing relevant information about Polaris retrofits?
SPN Lifer, EmailKid, wxguy and 5 others like this.
Old May 6, 22, 5:30 pm

I'm sure UA had also thought Boeing could have figured {this} out by now and gotten 78X deliveries to resume to give them more slack elsewhere. It looks to me that the focus is getting the 772s back into revenue service to buy that slack now instead, rather than cosmetic upgrades.
EWR764 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 6, 22 at 6:02 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old May 6, 22, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Cris View Post
I'm sure UA had also thought Boeing could have figured {this} out by now and gotten 78X deliveries to resume to give them more slack elsewhere. It looks to me that the focus is getting the 772s back into revenue service to buy that slack now instead, rather than cosmetic upgrades.
Not sure what the 772 returns to service have to do with Polaris seat retrofits on 787s and 767s.

David
uastarflyer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 6, 22 at 6:04 pm Reason: Quote updated with Moderator edit
Old May 6, 22, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Not sure what the 772 returns to service have to do with Polaris seat retrofits on 787s and 767s.

David
As EWR764 said earlier. UA is so short of aircraft right now, relative to demand, that they can't afford to let any more planes go into MOD. Getting a few PW 772s back in service will ease the capacity crunch and allow enough slack to get the last 4 planes done.

Originally Posted by DELee View Post
But what is "cosmetic" about installing Polaris seats?

David
Considering that anything above and beyond the FAA minimums (a seat with a seatbelt, life vest, O2 mask, probably a lav, etc). ) is cosmetic, the change from Diamond to Polaris is definitely a cosmetic change. Personally, I'd prefer to have an ugly plane than no plane at all.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and Cris like this.
Old May 7, 22, 2:17 pm

I dont get it why UA permanently retired those 28J 752s early in the pandemic, those used to fly to Europe and could help right now.
Old May 7, 22, 3:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UAFAM View Post
I dont get it why UA permanently retired those 28J 752s early in the pandemic, those used to fly to Europe and could help right now.
UA kept the ERs, the 28J were not ETOPS and were not used to Europe. They could have helped domestically but had a major AD costs
Old May 7, 22, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
UA kept the ERs, the 28J were not ETOPS and were not used to Europe. They could have helped domestically but had a major AD costs
Right on. A few examples of the fleet had already retired pre-pandemic, too. I think the plan was for all of them to be gone by now, anyway. Of course the MAX10 was expected to be in service by now, too.

Pre-merger UA never flew the 757s to EU in regular service. Only a few of the 75K fleet had ETOPS, and I dont think any of them were certified to fly in RVSM airspace (all of Europe).

The problem right now is not narrowbody capacity, though UA could use all it can get, with the pilots to fly them. The problem is a lack of large, long haul widebodies.
SPN Lifer and FlyerBeek like this.

Search this Thread