Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

✨ Polaris (& PP) Retrofits: Schedule, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2017, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: kirkwoodj
Check the current status of aircraft reconfigured (or delivered) with new Polaris seats: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris...-desktop-4/p/3.

A Polaris Update and Polaris Mod Schedule to indicate the status of specific aircraft are maintained by those that manage the United Airlines Fleet Website.

Except for 773- and 781-operated flights, and those markets selling Premium Plus, Polaris-equipped planes have not been allocated to specific routes. You won't know until approx. 36-48 hours before departure if you'll have a newly reconfigured aircraft, and even then, it may be replaced with a non-retrofitted aircraft.

777-300ER - All 22 aircraft have Polaris (60 seats) and installation of Premium Plus cabins (24 seats) is complete.

767-300ER - As of September 2020, 31 of the 38 aircraft have been reconfigured with the Polaris seats.
- Retrofit is from 3-cabin to 2-cabin with direct-aisle-access seats. No 3-cabin 767s remain in service.
- 76A configuration is 30J/50Y+/134Y, total of 214; fleet to consist of 17 ships (former 3-cabin 767s).
- 76L configuration is 46J/22PE/47Y+/52Y; fleet to consist of 21 ships (18 former 2-cabin 76C and 3 used ships from Hawaiian).

767-400ER - [16 aircraft] None updated yet; modifications put on hold due to Covid-19.

777-200ER - As of September 2020, 46 of the 50 aircraft have been reconfigured with Polaris and Premium Plus seats.
- Configuration is 50 Polaris seats, 32 in the front cabin and 18 in the second cabin (behind 2L/R)
- Configuration is 10 across in economy, with 24 Premium Plus seats, 46 86 E+ seats and 156 E seats, with E+ in front economy cabin plus exit rows and bulkhead at 3L/R, i.e., almost the same as current pmCO planes, except with 4 seats in middle section.
- Seat map (v5) on united.com

787-8, 787-9 - As of November 2022, all 787-8/9 are converted or in mod. No chance of flying old configuration anymore.
- 788 configuration has 28 Polaris seats (20 in front cabin, 8 in rear mini-cabin), and 21 Premium Plus seats (2-3-2).
- 789 configuration has 48 Polaris seats (32 in front cabin, 16 in rear mini-cabin), and 21 Premium Plus seats (2-3-2).

787-10 - 13 787-10s have been delivered in 2020. All come with Polaris and Premium Plus cabins factory-installed. Another 19 should be added by 2024.

FAQ:
Q: Does a Polaris ticket mean the aircraft has the new Polaris seat?

A: No, Polaris is the label UA uses for long haul international business class. It is also the label UA uses for the new seats, so this does create some confusion.
All the 773s and 787-10s are 100% the new seat.
The rest of the long haul fleet in various stages of conversion, see http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris...-desktop-4/p/3

Q: How to tell if my aircraft is the new style Polaris seats?
A: If the unassigned business class section is showing orange seats or all the seats are side-by-side or there is a section for 4 adjacent seats in the middle, this is an old style lie-flat aircreaft
If the unassigned bussines class seats are dark blue seats or the all the seats appear to have direct aisle access, then you aircraft is the new Polaris seat.
You can also look at the FT maintained, United Fleet Site and crosscheck the tail number or check thePolaris Update tab

Q: How to tell if my aircraft has the new PremiumPlus (PP) / Premium Economy seats?
A: If the unassigned seats just behind business class are purple seats or the aircraft is 773 or 787-10, then yes. However, the purple color seat will only show on routes where PP is being sold.
Aircraft with PP seats are being used on some routes but are not being sold as PP. In those cases, the seats are considered to be a part of E+. In those cases, an indicator of PP sold as E+ will be if the first few rows of economy, there are just 2 seats on the sides (with the rest of E+ showing 3 seats).

Q: Will the aircraft I see at booking be the same configuration at flight time?
A: Unfortunately with the fleet in transit, aircraft swaps happen. UA tends to use placeholders until 2 days before travel and even after that last minute swaps do happen.

Q: My flight seat map shows 772 with polaris seats is it a retrofit?
A: Possibly. The flight status page shows the most accurate scheduled aircraft. If a 77W is swapped in, it will list the aircraft as 777-300ER. However, if the 772's seatmap shows blue rectangular boxes in the business class cabin instead of orange "pointy rounds", this would indicate that a retrofit aircraft has been swapped.

See also: United Future/Changed Routes w/ Polaris seats

Print Wikipost

✨ Polaris (& PP) Retrofits: Schedule, ....

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I do wonder if the delay will have any impact on the 14 77Ws getting delivered this year, or it will only impact the start of the retrofits.

I also wonder what the source of the delay is, but I suspect that will only come out if Zodiac really screws the pooch and can't deliver anywhere close to schedule. Hopefully UA is in talks with other providers for a backup plan...
I'm sitting on a 744 now, and the FA serving PF just mentioned talk among pilots it would delay the 744 retirement; in addition she said they are behind training 744 pilots on the 773. But, it's just FA talk...
Old Mar 18, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Saw this in a review of the Polaris seat on 77W SFO-EWR. This may speak to QA issues with Zodiac seats. Anyone else notice these issues?

In fact, the delay on both the inbound and outbound was due to malfunctioning Polaris seats throughout the cabin. A couple of seats on the opposite aisle got stuck in the bed position. Meanwhile, the gentleman in 1D sat down to find the power crapped out in his. And my controller didn’t work. The fact that the seats already face electronic gremlins concerns me. Remember, this plane entered service just 16 days prior to my flight.
Source: https://www.travelcodex.com/2017/03/...-seat-sfo-ewr/
Old Mar 18, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by wxguy
I'm sitting on a 744 now, and the FA serving PF just mentioned talk among pilots it would delay the 744 retirement; in addition she said they are behind training 744 pilots on the 773. But, it's just FA talk...
Interesting. UA does have until end of 2018 before the fuel tank modification deadline.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

behind training 744 pilots on the 773...
How long is the transition from the 744 to the 773? How about 744 to 772 or 772 to 773? Isn't the certification very close between the 772 and 773?

I guess it is a good thing they are using this on SFOEWR for a while. Certainly want no electrical gremlins on the plane on TPAC flights...

Thanks.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 7:39 pm

I'm assuming the 777 pilot pool is common, but still need to train pilots from the 74 to the 77
Old Mar 18, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by oopl
Saw this in a review of the Polaris seat on 77W SFO-EWR. This may speak to QA issues with Zodiac seats. Anyone else notice these issues?

Source: https://www.travelcodex.com/2017/03/...-seat-sfo-ewr/
I had the same experience during their Polaris events. The rocker switch for the seat refused to work and I was stuck laying flat. The staff were a bit embarrassed but it eventually started working again.

Not sure if those seats differed from the production models, but it happened when I was trying to use the seat in a 'normal' way.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
i'm sitting on a 744 now, and the fa serving pf just mentioned talk among pilots it would delay the 744 retirement; in addition she said they are behind training 744 pilots on the 773. But, it's just fa talk...
^

Originally Posted by oopl
interesting. Ua does have until end of 2018 before the fuel tank modification deadline.
^^

Originally Posted by ari
but it will impact the update of the current 3-class 777. @:-)
^^^
Old Mar 19, 2017, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I had the same experience during their Polaris events. The rocker switch for the seat refused to work and I was stuck laying flat. The staff were a bit embarrassed but it eventually started working again.

Not sure if those seats differed from the production models, but it happened when I was trying to use the seat in a 'normal' way.
The media flight had one seat similar stuck for a bit. Eventually it worked again. That was on the first frame and the first flight with the public on board.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: UA GS
Mind boggling how little testing they were doing. For sure not HALT.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Austin787
And long live 772 with 9 across Y.
+1

I was thinking -and have already posted- the same thing.

Likely will prefer the Polaris seat (haven't tried it yet) to the "old" CO business seat, but 8E on 13+ hour flights is acceptably comfortable, especially now with the Polaris soft product.
About 30-50% of my flights over the next 15 months will be in Y, not J, so the 9 across that I am used to I can live with.

I will be content in flying the exCO 772 (777-200 version 3) for a few years yet.

Still hoping that once UA retrofits these 772s they will stick to 3-3-3 in Y. Or possibly even better: offer Polaris Business in 1-2-1; Premium Economy in 2-3-2; and 3-4-3 in Y.

Regarding the electrical issues with the new Polaris seats: seems to me that Zodiac UK has the same issues with these seats as British Leyland did with their cars in the 1970's!!
Old Mar 19, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Just signed up after reading the forum for awhile.

I was able to experience the new Polaris seats on my EWR-SFO and return flight last week. Both trips went smoothly and I had no issues with the product.

Really enjoyed the extra bit of privacy over the typical first seat.

On a side note, the cabin crew on the return flight were very excited as it was their first trip on this aircraft.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 11:48 am

Looks like 3 773s are in service (31/32/33), 2 are in final checks about to be in service (36/37).

2 are at Boeing waiting for seats (34/35).

So 9 airframes to go out of the 14 total.

As much as I like 747s I'm not holding my breath this is going to do much to prolong their life at UA beyond October.

They just retired one end of Feb, and not even to Victorville for storage. It went straight to scrap at Tupelo, MS.

https://sites.google.com/site/united...nline-aircraft
Old Mar 19, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
This is the part that raises concern.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Looks like 3 773s are in service (31/32/33), 2 are in final checks about to be in service (36/37).

So 9 airframes to go out of the 14 total.

As much as I like 747s I'm not holding my breath this is going to do much to prolong their life at UA beyond October.

They just retired one end of Feb, and not even to Victorville for storage. It went straight to scrap at Tupelo, MS.

https://sites.google.com/site/united...nline-aircraft
Exactly. Last 747 will exit the fleet end of October this year. Likely what the FAs and pilots said on that flight was wishful thinking. Nothing has been announced internally about keeping the 747s beyond its October 2017 exit date.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
This is the part that raises concern.
Indeed. Sounds like someone at UA didn't do their due diligence in selecting a seat maker.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.