Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

✨ Polaris (& PP) Retrofits: Schedule, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2017, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: kirkwoodj
Check the current status of aircraft reconfigured (or delivered) with new Polaris seats: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris...-desktop-4/p/3.

A Polaris Update and Polaris Mod Schedule to indicate the status of specific aircraft are maintained by those that manage the United Airlines Fleet Website.

Except for 773- and 781-operated flights, and those markets selling Premium Plus, Polaris-equipped planes have not been allocated to specific routes. You won't know until approx. 36-48 hours before departure if you'll have a newly reconfigured aircraft, and even then, it may be replaced with a non-retrofitted aircraft.

777-300ER - All 22 aircraft have Polaris (60 seats) and installation of Premium Plus cabins (24 seats) is complete.

767-300ER - As of September 2020, 31 of the 38 aircraft have been reconfigured with the Polaris seats.
- Retrofit is from 3-cabin to 2-cabin with direct-aisle-access seats. No 3-cabin 767s remain in service.
- 76A configuration is 30J/50Y+/134Y, total of 214; fleet to consist of 17 ships (former 3-cabin 767s).
- 76L configuration is 46J/22PE/47Y+/52Y; fleet to consist of 21 ships (18 former 2-cabin 76C and 3 used ships from Hawaiian).

767-400ER - [16 aircraft] None updated yet; modifications put on hold due to Covid-19.

777-200ER - As of September 2020, 46 of the 50 aircraft have been reconfigured with Polaris and Premium Plus seats.
- Configuration is 50 Polaris seats, 32 in the front cabin and 18 in the second cabin (behind 2L/R)
- Configuration is 10 across in economy, with 24 Premium Plus seats, 46 86 E+ seats and 156 E seats, with E+ in front economy cabin plus exit rows and bulkhead at 3L/R, i.e., almost the same as current pmCO planes, except with 4 seats in middle section.
- Seat map (v5) on united.com

787-8, 787-9 - As of November 2022, all 787-8/9 are converted or in mod. No chance of flying old configuration anymore.
- 788 configuration has 28 Polaris seats (20 in front cabin, 8 in rear mini-cabin), and 21 Premium Plus seats (2-3-2).
- 789 configuration has 48 Polaris seats (32 in front cabin, 16 in rear mini-cabin), and 21 Premium Plus seats (2-3-2).

787-10 - 13 787-10s have been delivered in 2020. All come with Polaris and Premium Plus cabins factory-installed. Another 19 should be added by 2024.

FAQ:
Q: Does a Polaris ticket mean the aircraft has the new Polaris seat?

A: No, Polaris is the label UA uses for long haul international business class. It is also the label UA uses for the new seats, so this does create some confusion.
All the 773s and 787-10s are 100% the new seat.
The rest of the long haul fleet in various stages of conversion, see http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris...-desktop-4/p/3

Q: How to tell if my aircraft is the new style Polaris seats?
A: If the unassigned business class section is showing orange seats or all the seats are side-by-side or there is a section for 4 adjacent seats in the middle, this is an old style lie-flat aircreaft
If the unassigned bussines class seats are dark blue seats or the all the seats appear to have direct aisle access, then you aircraft is the new Polaris seat.
You can also look at the FT maintained, United Fleet Site and crosscheck the tail number or check thePolaris Update tab

Q: How to tell if my aircraft has the new PremiumPlus (PP) / Premium Economy seats?
A: If the unassigned seats just behind business class are purple seats or the aircraft is 773 or 787-10, then yes. However, the purple color seat will only show on routes where PP is being sold.
Aircraft with PP seats are being used on some routes but are not being sold as PP. In those cases, the seats are considered to be a part of E+. In those cases, an indicator of PP sold as E+ will be if the first few rows of economy, there are just 2 seats on the sides (with the rest of E+ showing 3 seats).

Q: Will the aircraft I see at booking be the same configuration at flight time?
A: Unfortunately with the fleet in transit, aircraft swaps happen. UA tends to use placeholders until 2 days before travel and even after that last minute swaps do happen.

Q: My flight seat map shows 772 with polaris seats is it a retrofit?
A: Possibly. The flight status page shows the most accurate scheduled aircraft. If a 77W is swapped in, it will list the aircraft as 777-300ER. However, if the 772's seatmap shows blue rectangular boxes in the business class cabin instead of orange "pointy rounds", this would indicate that a retrofit aircraft has been swapped.

See also: United Future/Changed Routes w/ Polaris seats

Print Wikipost

✨ Polaris (& PP) Retrofits: Schedule, ....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37

Will the high-density J 763s take longer given the amount of work that is needed?
Probably not, since they already have the life extension package, winglets, IFE and interior mods finished already (save for the Polaris seating). It just depends on what kind of maintenance is scheduled at the same time. The former Hawaiian 767s are a different case, though.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by EWR764
Probably not, since they already have the life extension package, winglets, IFE and interior mods finished already (save for the Polaris seating). It just depends on what kind of maintenance is scheduled at the same time. The former Hawaiian 767s are a different case, though.
There would be some rearranging for P+ and Y+/Y- seat configuration as well, though. Not sure that adds meaningful time but it is a different layout...
Old Apr 19, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
N57016, 77Y (3016) is supposed to be in HKG for Polaris retrofit according to United Mainline Fleet, but it appears to be flying around as usual.
Is this bird retrofitted or not?

Answer; not retrofitted it seems, still old 50J layout.

Last edited by narvik; Apr 19, 2019 at 6:32 am Reason: answered
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
United Mainline Fleet

And for Polaris-specific inquiries: Mainline Fleet: Polaris Update

btw, a huge thanks to those who maintain the fleetsite. what an awesome resource.
Thanks for the links, especially the second. It's a little bit confusing though.. It shows 14/14 76A converted, 1/17 76L converted, and 0/7 76C converted. Since there are no more 3-class 763s, I assume the 14/14 76As are the former 3-class. 763s. The 76Cs are still flying but won't be converted, is that correct? My question is motivated by wanting to know the % of 763s that have been converted out of the total available aircraft for low-density J 763 routes. If I'm reading this correctly, it's1 4/37?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37

There would be some rearranging for P+ and Y+/Y- seat configuration as well, though. Not sure that adds meaningful time but it is a different layout...
It not nearly as significant a mod installing all new interiors (bins, sidewalls, galley, lavs), winglets, avionics upgrades or new IFE. I doubt we are talking about 8-week mods once the line is running smoothly (usually after the first 2-3 frames). Of course, if the mod is carried out concurrently with a HMV, then that brings a lot of other maintenance work into the fold and will increase each stay, but that's downtime the airplane would incur regardless of Polaris installs.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by narvik
N57016, 77Y (3016) is supposed to be in HKG for Polaris retrofit according to United Mainline Fleet, but it appears to be flying around as usual.
Is this bird retrofitted or not?

Answer; not retrofitted it seems, still old 50J layout.
Mystery solved: was a typo on date for entering HKG (3/16/2019 listed instead of actual 4/16/2019): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31012563-post276.html
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
I'm on a 772 going to Shanghai Monday from ORD... Seatmap shows UA772 (three class) so does this mean I have a 60% chance of Polaris? (on upgrade list, would end up in PE if not upgraded and it ends up as a V5)?

Whoever put together the GSheet: thank you
EWR764 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
I'm on a 772 going to Shanghai Monday from ORD... Seatmap shows UA772 (three class) so does this mean I have a 60% chance of Polaris?
It does not. Many of those aircraft are assigned to specific routes. Your odds on a non-Polaris route are much lower.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Looking at the routes with dedicated Polaris 772s (based off of P+ routes), UA has about 8 polaris aircraft committed to certain routes. You might even make that 9 or 10 after you factor in protect aircraft. That lowers your odds to about 50%.

And the will be 2 or 3 more 772's committed to dedicated routes starting on 29-April-19
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:53 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by Kacee
It does not. Many of those aircraft are assigned to specific routes. Your odds on a non-Polaris route are much lower.
Thanks.. Yes.. Ended up that way..
Old May 7, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
Is there a schedule for the conversion of 777-200's to the Polaris/P+/E+/E- layout? Asking as I'm looking to book a r/t SFO-EWR in Jan 2020 and they are currently showing flights on the current 777-200 Version 4, with 28 F/102 E+/234 E-. My assumption (my hope?) is that the flight would end up on a converted plane with P+ and I'd be able to move to those seats but don't want to assume without some basis. Can't find a progress tracker on the United site unless I"m not using the right search terms.

Actually, can't find any reference at all to P+ anywhere on the site - you'd think they would at least have some information on the seat and services and a description of the flights on which it's available.

Thanks in advance!
Old May 7, 2019, 2:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Brucemcdou
Is there a schedule for the conversion of 777-200's to the Polaris/P+/E+/E- layout? Asking as I'm looking to book a r/t SFO-EWR in Jan 2020 and they are currently showing flights on the current 777-200 Version 4, with 28 F/102 E+/234 E-. My assumption (my hope?) is that the flight would end up on a converted plane with P+ and I'd be able to move to those seats but don't want to assume without some basis. Can't find a progress tracker on the United site unless I"m not using the right search terms. ...
The 3-class 722 are 2/3s done (will finish by Q3 2019?) and the 2-2-2 722s are just starting (will go into mid? 2020), You can look at the Polaris seat schedule as to when that is done, PP is also done.

Polaris tracker

Actually, can't find any reference at all to P+ anywhere on the site - you'd think they would at least have some information on the seat and services and a description of the flights on which it's available.
Premium Plus package

Is not intended for all SFO-EWR flights to offer PP -- for now UA will not be selling PP for domestic routes. If you happen to get a plane with PP domestically, it will be considered E+ and standard E+ access.

On TATL or TPAC or deep South America, if PP is offered for sale, then you have a high level of confidence it will be available (pending irrops). But if not offered for sale, no guarantees except that the plan is to be converted by end of 2020.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 7, 2019 at 2:29 pm Reason: domestic comment
Old May 7, 2019, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Do we know if they are committed to finish the sUA 772 before the sCO 772? They have 3-class 772 seatmaps stretching out quite a ways in the schedule on non-PE routes.
Old May 7, 2019, 2:28 pm

Is there a schedule for the conversion of 777-200's to the Polaris/P+/E+/E- layout? Asking as I'm looking to book a r/t SFO-EWR in Jan 2020 and they are currently showing flights on the current 777-200 Version 4, with 28 F/102 E+/234 E-. My assumption (my hope?) is that the flight would end up on a converted plane with P+ and I'd be able to move to those seats but don't want to assume without some basis. Can't find a progress tracker on the United site unless I"m not using the right search terms.

Thanks in advance!
That particular airplane is the 77G, which are not planned for Polaris seating. Your best bet for January 2020 travel is to choose one of the 787-10 flights in the schedule and hope they stick.

Originally Posted by findark
Do we know if they are committed to finish the sUA 772 before the sCO 772? They have 3-class 772 seatmaps stretching out quite a ways in the schedule on non-PE routes.
Schedules beyond the current season (S19, through end of October) are more or less placeholders and shouldn't be used to extrapolate information on Polaris installations.
Old May 7, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764
That particular airplane is the 77G, which are not planned for Polaris seating.
Ah, thanks for that, I assumed that all 777-200's would eventually be converted but now I understand that some of the current configuration will be with us for a long time. I must say that that particular model with the smallest premium cabin is exactly the one that I would have thought should be converted but then I don't run the airline!

Last edited by Brucemcdou; May 7, 2019 at 3:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.