Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: narvik
Recent changes to United's policy on pajamas and slippers increased the official availability from flights '12+ hours' to flights '14+ hours'.
There are currently (October/November 2023) mixed reports about actual availability, with some shorter than 14-hour flights still being provisioned with pajamas and slippers.

The printed on-board menu reads:

"Sleep soundly in the sky
Slippers are available by request on all international flights, along with pajamas for flights scheduled 14+ hours.
Ask your flight attendant if you'd like them."

Previous Wiki updated February 22, 2023, left here until final eligible routes can be established:

"On flights longer than 12 hours, we also offer 100% cotton pajamas upon request." (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...laris-FAQ.aspx )
Pajamas are provisioned for about half of the eligible seats.
Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, TPE , AKL , HKG , CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - TLV, NRT, PEK , DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG, CPT, JNB
ORD - NRT, PEK, PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLWEAAQV7X
New flights have been added, and some flights ended)

Note: United employee shop sells pajamas for $9.99 a pair as of 12/10/20

Print Wikipost

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA GS/3MM; American EXP; Hilton Diamond; Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
No pajamas today on HKG-EWR. Flight attendant said there were non on her inbound from ORD. Twitter support directed me to contact Global Services when I asked if I had missed the announcement of anothrr downgrade in Polaris services.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
No pajamas yesterday on UA955 TLV-SFO. Purser said they weren't supplied, and that overall they were running short. FWIW, no slippers on 2/17 SFO-CDG.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:08 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Premier Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
None on SFO-HKG yesterday. Flight attendant said she has not seen them in stock for awhile.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
If you have 1A, you are flying the plane....

"Channel 9 for everyone!"

David
StuckinITH likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by actonma
No pajamas today on HKG-EWR. Flight attendant said there were non on her inbound from ORD. Twitter support directed me to contact Global Services when I asked if I had missed the announcement of anothrr downgrade in Polaris services.
Originally Posted by tomsundstrom
No pajamas yesterday on UA955 TLV-SFO. Purser said they weren't supplied, and that overall they were running short. FWIW, no slippers on 2/17 SFO-CDG.
Originally Posted by ozone16
None on SFO-HKG yesterday. Flight attendant said she has not seen them in stock for awhile.
These are huge misses! Unforgivable. Well, $200 credit probably helps.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Pajama compensation

Originally Posted by uastarflyer

These are huge misses! Unforgivable. Well, $200 credit probably helps.
I wrote in and got $150 ETC each person. Cheers!
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:31 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
FWIW: https://thepointsguy.com/news/united-pj-shortage/
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by 1984SW

“A United spokesperson confirmed the issue, explaining that the problem is partially due to increased port activity related to Chinese New Year, even though the PJs are manufactured in India.”

Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

“A United spokesperson confirmed the issue, explaining that the problem is partially due to increased port activity related to Chinese New Year, even though the PJs are manufactured in India.”

The Lunar New Year is celebrated throughout Asia so it's no surprise it can have a ripple effect on the closest ports that DON'T shut down for the celebration.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Originally Posted by FoxFlyer
So, I am flying SFO-HKG tomorrow (3/1/19) and wondering... do I pack my own PJs or do we think United will provide given the "supplier issues"?

Tweeted yesterday to @UNITED asking the same question and no response...
So... flew yesterday and when I initially asked for PJs the FA said she didn’t think they had any... however, after looking, so brought me back a pair and in the size I needed (S/M). I seemed to be the only one who asked/received and/or wore them... I didn’t see anyone else in the cabin with a pair.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 2:19 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

And, it's not like this is the first year ever to have a CNY. If there is "increased port activity related to Chinese New Year," it probably happens every year, no? And, if so, PLAN AROUND IT!
Old Mar 2, 2019, 2:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Remember, this is the airline that catered economy meals in F from DEN for six months rather than arrange for alternative F catering.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:38 pm

No PJ on UA872

Just boarded UA872 and asked a CA for a medium PJ. She told me they don’t have PJs on short 10 hours flight like these and that they never have. When I told her I’ve had them every time I flew 872, she shrugged and walked away.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
I find it ironic that there's a shortage, I was in Row 20 (Premium +) on a IAD NRT on 2/26 and as everyone was getting settled up in Polaris an FA was walking around that cabin with a stack of PJs asking if anyone wanted them, no doubt turning more people on to their availability and setting up more pax for disappointments on future flights.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
Just boarded UA872 and asked a CA for a medium PJ. She told me they don’t have PJs on short 10 hours flight like these and that they never have. When I told her I’ve had them every time I flew 872, she shrugged and walked away.
Haha! UA872 TPE-SFO is an 11h 45m flight and is supposed to offer PJs to Polaris pax.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.