Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: narvik
Recent changes to United's policy on pajamas and slippers increased the official availability from flights '12+ hours' to flights '14+ hours'.
There are currently (October/November 2023) mixed reports about actual availability, with some shorter than 14-hour flights still being provisioned with pajamas and slippers.

The printed on-board menu reads:

"Sleep soundly in the sky
Slippers are available by request on all international flights, along with pajamas for flights scheduled 14+ hours.
Ask your flight attendant if you'd like them."

Previous Wiki updated February 22, 2023, left here until final eligible routes can be established:

"On flights longer than 12 hours, we also offer 100% cotton pajamas upon request." (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...laris-FAQ.aspx )
Pajamas are provisioned for about half of the eligible seats.
Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, TPE , AKL , HKG , CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - TLV, NRT, PEK , DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG, CPT, JNB
ORD - NRT, PEK, PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLWEAAQV7X
New flights have been added, and some flights ended)

Note: United employee shop sells pajamas for $9.99 a pair as of 12/10/20

Print Wikipost

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2017, 10:25 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Lately, I've just been changing into my PJs in the lounge before boarding. I used to feel slightly ridiculous in the boarding area, but now I've gotten over it. Every second of comfort is worth it.

Originally Posted by 5khours
That said, TG are my favorite so I've kept a few pair here and there.
TG is by far my favorite too. I've got 4 pairs which I use when flying. The "Thai Royal First" emblazoned on the shirt is especially amusing when I'm flying lie-flat economy (when I have 3 empty seats).
Old Feb 7, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
I understand PJs on DEN-NRT and EWR-TLV, but does anyone have any insight as to the logic for SFO-KIX (if they are not also doing SFO-NRT/HND) and IAH-MUC (why not SFO-FRA?). I wonder if UA will eventually just decide to offer PJs on all TATL and TPAC routes, save maybe EWR/IAD/ORD-EU (even though I would still appreciate PJs on those routes). As I reported earlier in this thread, when I flew EWR-FRA in Polaris First last month I was pleased that I was offered PJs (they were mistakenly loaded) and I believe they made it much easier for me to sleep comfortably. Of course, being in First, getting to the lav to change wasn't an issue.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
People are fascinated by PJ's. I never really understood that. Bring your own pjs or sweats or whatever you wear to bed.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 4:38 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Lately, I've just been changing into my PJs in the lounge before boarding. I used to feel slightly ridiculous in the boarding area, but now I've gotten over it. Every second of comfort is worth it.

TG is by far my favorite too. I've got 4 pairs which I use when flying. The "Thai Royal First" emblazoned on the shirt is especially amusing when I'm flying lie-flat economy (when I have 3 empty seats).
I find the TG PJs slightly ridiculous. They certainly are not the most comfortable around. The only thing they have going for them is you get to advertise to everyone that your in First Class Personally, once I'm in my Pajamas I don't leave the F cabin as IMO the people in J & Y are not only not impressed, but look at me like I'm ridiculous. I'm happy keeping my unopened PJs for my mother & cold winter nights & use a comfortable pair of sweatpants with a XXL T shirt. (Except on EK who's PJs I love
Old Mar 9, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Just wanted to update regrading pajama availability TPAC SFO/LAX - NRT- UA carries them often apparently, but don't announce to passengers. (both 2 and 3 cabin). Initially I didn't bother asking as others stated this wasn't the case but recently on-board I found out otherwise and got a pair both ways.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by ermintrude
Just wanted to update regrading pajama availability TPAC SFO/LAX - NRT- UA carries them often apparently, but don't announce to passengers. (both 2 and 3 cabin). Initially I didn't bother asking as others stated this wasn't the case but recently on-board I found out otherwise and got a pair both ways.
Good to know! I think what's happening is that they have leftovers from previous PJ-eligible flights but don't generally announce it since they don't have enough for everyone. That being said when I flew EWR-FRA in January in Polaris First I was proactively offered PJs that the flight attendants had found on the plane. However, much easier to individually offer in three-cabin First than to announce to the whole Polaris cabin when only a few are available.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
Good to know! I think what's happening is that they have leftovers from previous PJ-eligible flights but don't generally announce it since they don't have enough for everyone. That being said when I flew EWR-FRA in January in Polaris First I was proactively offered PJs that the flight attendants had found on the plane. However, much easier to individually offer in three-cabin First than to announce to the whole Polaris cabin when only a few are available.
Have they began to announce the PJs?
I have never heard one and have always asked with my PreDeparture Drink.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA MM, Marriott LT Plat
I flew KIX-SFO in January. Three class 777. I got a pair of PJ's, but only because the person next to me was a popular recently retired FA and they brought her a pair. Certainly not "standard issue" in Business. I was in the row closest to GF and heard no announcement, but they certainly could have made one that I just didn't hear or pay attention to.

For what its worth, I like the PJ's!
Old Mar 17, 2017, 1:40 pm

Location: Westchester with HPN (LGA, JFK, EWR possible but...)
Programs: AA EXP, UA PP, HHonor Diamond, etc.
Is Pajama available upon request?
I was on NRT-EWR a few weeks ago, and I didn't see anyone to wear pajamas (may be because I was sitting on 1F...)

Food was pretty much same as before... no improvements for Japanese food.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by uecsome
Is Pajama available upon request?
I was on NRT-EWR a few weeks ago, and I didn't see anyone to wear pajamas (may be because I was sitting on 1F...) ...
PJs are on request and only on flights over 24 hours RT. See the thread's wiki for list of PJ offered flights. Reports they may be available on shorter flights if there is extra stock.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: United - 1K, Southwest - Companion & AList Preferred, Hilton - Diamond, Hertz - President's Circle
I've gotten the PJs on IAH-NRT and DEN-NRT. Like the seat pad and gel pillow, you have to ask for them, they are not pro-actively offered.

I have yet to get them on an Atlantic run, I've asked on EWR-HAM and IAH-MUC. The EWR-HAM FAs didn't even know they existed, while the IAH-MUC FAs said that they are only available for Trans-Pacific runs.

My wife constantly makes fun of me when I wear them at home because of the silly vestigial buttons on the collar. Why are they even there?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TexasVC
... I have yet to get them on an Atlantic run, I've asked on EWR-HAM and IAH-MUC. The EWR-HAM FAs didn't even know they existed, while the IAH-MUC FAs said that they are only available for Trans-Pacific runs. ....
Only available on routes where the average RT flight time is greater than 24 hours -- added a list or routes in this thread's wiki
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
Love the jammies!
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: None anymore
Pj's are comfortable enough, I didn't have too many problems changing but then again I'm not a huge guy.

OZ Pj's on the other hand are out of this world comfortable. I even wear them at home they're so comfortable.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by In2ishn
Love the jammies!
I don't know why I must be the only person who finds the jammies material very itchy. So, I don't love them. I do wear the top as a sweatshirt above my shirt. I did try to read all the comments but never read anyone commenting about the itchiness factor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.