Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: narvik
Recent changes to United's policy on pajamas and slippers increased the official availability from flights '12+ hours' to flights '14+ hours'.
There are currently (October/November 2023) mixed reports about actual availability, with some shorter than 14-hour flights still being provisioned with pajamas and slippers.

The printed on-board menu reads:

"Sleep soundly in the sky
Slippers are available by request on all international flights, along with pajamas for flights scheduled 14+ hours.
Ask your flight attendant if you'd like them."

Previous Wiki updated February 22, 2023, left here until final eligible routes can be established:

"On flights longer than 12 hours, we also offer 100% cotton pajamas upon request." (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...laris-FAQ.aspx )
Pajamas are provisioned for about half of the eligible seats.
Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, TPE , AKL , HKG , CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - TLV, NRT, PEK , DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG, CPT, JNB
ORD - NRT, PEK, PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLWEAAQV7X
New flights have been added, and some flights ended)

Note: United employee shop sells pajamas for $9.99 a pair as of 12/10/20

Print Wikipost

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
If there is time for anyone who wants to take a shower on EK OR EYs 380's, I can't imagine there not being enough time to just slip in or out of a pair of PJ's on a United flight???

Forget showers & A380s, most foreign airlines have been giving out PJs for over 20 years. I've never heard or seen problems with people not having enough time or room to change on those flights - many operated w 777 & 744s but just as many with A330 & 340s which have notoriously small lavs
Not that many foreign airlines have been doing it in business class though.

50 seats, 3 lavs, 5 minutes per person (though I see some taking a whole lot longer than that) -- in theory the first person needs to start 2 hours or so before landing for that to work.

That said, I've yet to have a problem with my routine. Change into pajamas right after take-off, and change back whenever I happen to wake up. Where this would get interesting would be on an east coast to europe flight... but wait, no pajamas there!
Old Feb 3, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: United, Turkish
Originally Posted by JetAway
Using the bathroom to make a telephone call mid-flight?
the case I had was on the ground before take off.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 1:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, United Club, IHG Ambassador/Spire
The PJs are super comfy in my opinion and hold up well to regular/delicate wash. But they do shrunk even if you put it in delicate dry cycle. I ended up line dry my 2nd PJ now.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 3:20 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by cricketer
Not that many foreign airlines have been doing it in business class though.

50 seats, 3 lavs, 5 minutes per person (though I see some taking a whole lot longer than that) -- in theory the first person needs to start 2 hours or so before landing for that to work.

That said, I've yet to have a problem with my routine. Change into pajamas right after take-off, and change back whenever I happen to wake up. Where this would get interesting would be on an east coast to europe flight... but wait, no pajamas there!
Virgin Atlantic.......they don't have an F class & have been giving out PJ's for years as well in J. Even BOS-LHR which is about as short a trans Atlantic flight as you can get. They seem to do it with ease. But all in all your correct, I think of PJs as a First class amenity & 8 pax using 2 laws is no problem. I can see the NIGHTMARE in my head of a zillion UA biz pax all trying to change at the same time. God help the poor passenger that REALLY needs to use the lav
Old Feb 4, 2017, 3:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
I still cannot understand the phobia of accidentally standing in dried urine with socks on. Do you plan to lick your feet?
Old Feb 4, 2017, 5:52 am

I can see the NIGHTMARE in my head of a zillion UA biz pax all trying to change at the same time. God help the poor passenger that REALLY needs to use the lav
Won't happen. A lot of pax think wearing PJs on a plane is weird (I can't imagine my parents changing into pjs) so they'll just take their pjs home and stay in their travel clothes.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
On a slightly different tangent but to avoid another Pajama thread, does anyone know if they stock Pajamas on LAX - NRT (It's right on the time limit).
Old Feb 4, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I havent flown polaris yet but I often may want to change to fresh clothes. Especially on those annoying morning arrivals with no arrival lounge and no hotel to check into.

I just wear my socks in the lav and make sure to have a clean pair to change to. Plus if I have slippers I can stand on those. It may be a tight squeeze but its doable. I suppose a very large person may have issues.

I suppose PJ's is a different story. You run into the issue you speak of with not being able to change back into regular clothes. I'd say worst case, you could at least change your pants under your blanket without attracting too much attention. Then put on something over the shirt. Depending on how acrobatic you are, you can also change out of your inner PJ shirt once your outer shirt is on. That would at least get you through the airport and to your hotel without looking too strange.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by ermintrude
On a slightly different tangent but to avoid another Pajama thread, does anyone know if they stock Pajamas on LAX - NRT (It's right on the time limit).
From the Polaris Flight Experienes wiki:
From the United Twitter feed
** Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT
I guess the answer is no. It's way under 12hrs
Old Feb 4, 2017, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by eng3
I guess the answer is no. It's way under 12hrs
Yeah it's not even close. Even the westbound in the winter is blocked under 12 hrs. The eastbound is blocked under 10 (and frequently comes in around 9).
Old Feb 4, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: United 1K
I ask for them as soon as I get to my seat and put them on before departure.
These PJs are good enough quality to use again and again....I really like them.

Now that I have 2 pair that I keep for outbound and return. I put them on before getting on the plane.

I try to change back to my regular clothes before they make the announcement for everybody to get up and use the bathroom one more time. I put my used PJs in one of those cellophane bags used for the slippers or blanket and wash them to reuse on my next trip...You never know when they will stop giving these PJs out.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
I get 4-6 assorted PJ's a monthx from EK, EY & SQ and have not opened or wore one in at least 2 years. I have a really comfortable pair of PJ bottoms from ANA (before they started giving PJs out, they "loaned high quality pajamas that you were supposed to give back after the flight (I didn't once). I mix that w a real comfortable long sleeve t-shirt and that's what I fly in. Much more comfortable then any airline PJ's these days. Now if I only knew what to do with my 87 pair of unopened PJ's from assorted carriers. eBays not worth the time or hassle
Old Feb 4, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
This is so easy. Just seven little steps.

1. Put on pajamas
2. Go to the airport
3. Get on plane
4. Fly somewhere
5. Get off plane
6. Leave airport
7. Take off pajamas.

Even better when traveling with the boss.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
I still cannot understand the phobia of accidentally standing in dried urine with socks on. Do you plan to lick your feet?
Socks don't provide enough of a buffer... I need at least .5cm of non-porous material between my feet and any public bathroom surface.

I need a buffer Jerry, I need a buffer.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I get 4-6 assorted PJ's a monthx from EK, EY & SQ and have not opened or wore one in at least 2 years. I have a really comfortable pair of PJ bottoms from ANA (before they started giving PJs out, they "loaned high quality pajamas that you were supposed to give back after the flight (I didn't once). I mix that w a real comfortable long sleeve t-shirt and that's what I fly in. Much more comfortable then any airline PJ's these days. Now if I only knew what to do with my 87 pair of unopened PJ's from assorted carriers. eBays not worth the time or hassle
Then why even accept them or take them off the plane?
Take them to a shelter or drop off somewhere like Goodwill.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.