Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: narvik
Recent changes to United's policy on pajamas and slippers increased the official availability from flights '12+ hours' to flights '14+ hours'.
There are currently (October/November 2023) mixed reports about actual availability, with some shorter than 14-hour flights still being provisioned with pajamas and slippers.

The printed on-board menu reads:

"Sleep soundly in the sky
Slippers are available by request on all international flights, along with pajamas for flights scheduled 14+ hours.
Ask your flight attendant if you'd like them."

Previous Wiki updated February 22, 2023, left here until final eligible routes can be established:

"On flights longer than 12 hours, we also offer 100% cotton pajamas upon request." (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...laris-FAQ.aspx )
Pajamas are provisioned for about half of the eligible seats.
Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, TPE , AKL , HKG , CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - TLV, NRT, PEK , DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG, CPT, JNB
ORD - NRT, PEK, PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLWEAAQV7X
New flights have been added, and some flights ended)

Note: United employee shop sells pajamas for $9.99 a pair as of 12/10/20

Print Wikipost

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Old Mar 4, 2023, 6:45 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by susiesan
Does anyone have a picture of what the pajamas look like now, has UA changed the style? The ones I have are a light gray t shirt top, pullover , and elastic waist bottom loose pants. They are around 4 years old.
Basically the same. The back of the top has POLARIS writ large across it. The material feels a tad thinner than when they first came out.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Has UA heard the pajama complaints? Or maybe we just got lucky

Reporting live from UA 101:
  • I asked for the pjs and mattress pad during the PDB service, indicating that later would be fine. The FA was friendly about it, but got a bit of a worried look on her face, and insisted on getting them right away. That did predictably start a bit of a PJ rush, about which I felt bad.
  • But it turned out there was an entire large bin full of them -- I had an excellent view of it from my seat.
  • After the initial scurrying around to fulfill requests the FAs later walked the aisles offering them to those who hadn't gotten them. specifically requested (although I think by that time there may have only been large remaining). And J is completely full.
  • It seems like there are about 10 other ways to arrange distribution of these to make it less stressful for the FAs, eg. have them take written orders for PJs when taking meal orders, to be delivered later. Or put larges on everyone's seat as a default, and have a supply of smalls in the bin for people who want to swap.
  • But of course it all starts with provisioning enough to begin with. Here's hoping it's part of a trend!
Old Mar 4, 2023, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
You should be able to pre-order your pajama size.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 5:03 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by SS255
You should be able to pre-order your pajama size.
Yes, but the new ones are a bit baggier!
Old Mar 5, 2023, 5:16 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
Reporting live from UA 101:
  • I asked for the pjs and mattress pad during the PDB service, indicating that later would be fine. The FA was friendly about it, but got a bit of a worried look on her face, and insisted on getting them right away. That did predictably start a bit of a PJ rush, about which I felt bad.
  • But it turned out there was an entire large bin full of them -- I had an excellent view of it from my seat.
  • After the initial scurrying around to fulfill requests the FAs later walked the aisles offering them to those who hadn't gotten them. specifically requested (although I think by that time there may have only been large remaining). And J is completely full.
  • It seems like there are about 10 other ways to arrange distribution of these to make it less stressful for the FAs, eg. have them take written orders for PJs when taking meal orders, to be delivered later. Or put larges on everyone's seat as a default, and have a supply of smalls in the bin for people who want to swap.
  • But of course it all starts with provisioning enough to begin with. Here's hoping it's part of a trend!
Cost, cost and cost.
Unfortunately, UA won't adopt your suggestion.
Only people want PJs and get them. There are many people who do not read the meal menu. So, they won't order any PJ on eligible flights, which save UA money.
Old May 27, 2023, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Cost, cost and cost.
Unfortunately, UA won't adopt your suggestion.
Only people want PJs and get them. There are many people who do not read the meal menu. So, they won't order any PJ on eligible flights, which save UA money.

was on IAD-HND flight and asked for pajamas after the first meal service. The stash was in the overhead bin next to me and was sealed. I want to say I was probably the only person on that 14hr flight to request them unless they had another stash elsewhere! Didnt see anyone else wearing pajamas either!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 27, 2023, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Platinum Preferred
Originally Posted by Eneka
was on IAD-HND flight and asked for pajamas after the first meal service. The stash was in the overhead bin next to me and was sealed. I want to say I was probably the only person on that 14hr flight to request them unless they had another stash elsewhere! Didnt see anyone else wearing pajamas either!
I like the pajamas, but on the planes that do not have air vent nozzles (I think they are the continental triple sevens) I have to sleep in shorts and a T-shirt or it gets too hot.
Old May 27, 2023, 11:05 am

Programs: UA, AA
Thanks for spending all that time in the lav changing whilst I want to use it for urination.
Old May 27, 2023, 11:10 am

Programs: AA Gold
I just came off CPT- IAD today, a 16 hour flight. I asked for pajamas and slippers for myself and DH. The purser said they were not loaded on. She said that was unacceptable, gave me a $50 e voucher and my husband got 2500 miles as compensation. She told me to send an email to customer service to let them know I was unhappy. I will follow up. It is unacceptable not to have the pajamas and slippers for such a long and expensive flight. I'm glad I brought along a very old pair that I planned to toss and replace with the new pajamas so I had something comfortable to wear.

Last edited by susiesan; May 28, 2023 at 7:45 am
Old May 27, 2023, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Welltended3
Thanks for spending all that time in the lav changing whilst I want to use it for urination.
So you think it would be better for everyone to change into PJs outside the lav?
susiesan likes this.
Old May 28, 2023, 10:13 am

Programs: UA, AA
I'm saying it was not well thought out by United. A changing cubby with no lav would have been better.
Old May 28, 2023, 10:26 am

Programs: UA
I'm saying it was not well thought out by United. A changing cubby with no lav would have been better.
Do any airlines have such a thing?
Old May 28, 2023, 10:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Where would the space for a changing cubby come from? It would not be significantly smaller. Likely would mean 1 less lav, which in the end would be worse than a lav occasionally being used for changing.
nwflyboy and OhioBoiler like this.
Old May 28, 2023, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold
What's the problem with changing in the lab? Most people use it while changing into their pajamas. Then they brush their teeth to get ready to sleep.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 28, 2023, 2:00 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by angetenar
Do any airlines have such a thing?
Air France used to have one of those in F on their now retired A380.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.