Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles

NEW as of 11/9/18:
App now includes MP Dining and MP Shopping in addition to eGift cards.

Dining: Once you log in and enable location sharing the app will tell you what MP Dining restaurant options are in your area. The app appears to know if you are a base or VIP dining member, and shows the appropriate earn rate you can expect (3 for base member or 5 miles per $ for VIP). Restaurants show in an incomplete "Nearby" list or are further visible under the "Cuisine Types" tab.

Shopping: You can browse the same list of stores you'd find on the main MileagePlus shopping website. There are tabs to show which stores are offering elevated offers as well as another with a searchable list of all stores who participated in the program. Tapping on the store will give you the option take you to that store's site so you can shop in your device's browser just as you would on a laptop or desktop.

Maximizing this app opp:
As per the app, you can double or triple dip. You get the UA miles from the app (+25% bonus if the app is attached to a MP acct), you get the miles (or CB, or whatever the deal is with your CC) from the CC attached to the app (via .bomb), and if you use the GC that is generated by the App and apply it online to a purchase via the MP shopping portal, you get the UA miles for that as well.
Ex: Buy $50 Staples MP-X credit with the app and get:
A. 2x on the app at Staples=100 UA (if you have a MP CC attached to the app, you get 25% more = 125 UA), PLUS
B. 2% CB with your BA+ card for example = $1 CB (but then no extra 25% bonus shown in A., above), PLUS
C. 1x on MP portal = 50 UA

Total would be 150 UA + $1CB in the example above (a UA double dip, e.g. A and C, but a non-UA dip added).

More scenarios:
-If you used a 1x UA MP card in the above example, it would be 125 UA+50 UA+50 UA=225 UA (a UA triple dip, e.g. A, B, and C).

-If you used a 5x INK card in the above example, it would be 100UA+*MAYBE 250UR+50UA = 150U+*MAYBE 250UR (a UA double dip, e.g. A and C, but a non-UA dip added and IMHO the best value: effectively 8x! *assuming the INK codes correctly as office supplies**).

**This is probably not the case, see post 513- no triple dipping

Conversions
Some MPX merchants allow for the purchase of a gift card with a gift card. This may allow you to use MPX to indirectly purchase a gift card to shop at a merchant otherwise not offered on MPX. As always, YMMV as you may encounter some merchants that may not allow this practice, rogue cashiers/managers who think it might not be allowed, or POS systems that are designed to not allow this (understandable as they make little to no money on the sale).

These merchants *may* include:

Best Buy - Does not allow purchase of Visa/Amex/MC gift cards, other merchant GCs OK.
GameStop
Sears

MPX Merchants that sell other merchants' GCs, but do not allow the purchase of GC with GC (MPX or otherwise):

Staples - Not allowed per policy, but may go through on their POS if cashier ignores prompt.
Barnes and Noble - No official policy - cashiers are trained that it's not allowed although it will go through on their POS
Office Depot
Lowes
eBay

Note: There appears to be a $3000.00 per 24 hours spend limit

MPX only works within the US - as per T&Cs! If you try to use the app outside the US, error code 126 will pop up.

Your MPX account name and password are the same as the united.com / MP account name and password. And your mile earned are locked to that MP account.
If using MPX to get a few miles to prevent mileage expiration, you need to be logged in as that account whose miles are approaching expiration.

In your account info is "Member since " date

customer service email address, [email protected]

Archived posts - MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:56 am

All of my pending charges have posted as of this morning. Time to call UA back and see what they can do to fix this.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
The further this thread develops, the more I am glad to have avoided MileagePlus X all together.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:13 pm

Just got off the phone with mileageplus support. A case has been created with the mileageplus x department who has to research my charges with a gift card services team. It could take 4-6 weeks for a credit to be issued back to my credit cards.

I'm also going to file a dispute with my credit card company about the extra charges...
Old Sep 2, 2015, 5:53 pm

2x$50 amazon gift card purchases posted on my sister's account two days ago, still no credit; will keep you guys updated.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by cloney
Does anyone have trouble adding a credit card to the app? I tried so many times but just got the loading circle and then nothing. Added the amex plat card on the desktop website but doesnt show up in my app under the same mileage #!!!

Anyone experienced this? Using the android app. I tried uninstall and reinstalling
I had similar issues adding cards on the app and ended up doing it on United's site. After adding cards on the site, try signing out of the app and sign back in. It fixed the glitch for me.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Update: I tried purchasing another gift card from Amazon last night around 9:45 and was once again declined. This time, however, no charge shows pending on my Citibank card. Hopefully, whoever managers this app, got smart and shut down the charges being processed to users' cards while this bug is sorted out.

I'm giving the people who process payments for the app until late Saturday to reverse the charges on my credit card before I contact Chase to dispute them. MP X rep told me, "It could take up to 30 days to see the charges reverse." Not that it probably made any difference, but I told her that was unacceptable.

I have had nothing but a positive experience using this app until I updated to the current version on 8/27. Any of you notice the same?
Old Sep 5, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton, Priority Club, USAir, American Express Membership Rewards, Ultimate Rew, United
Originally Posted by wowsza
2x$50 amazon gift card purchases posted on my sister's account two days ago, still no credit; will keep you guys updated.
Have you received the airline credit for this yet? I made a purchase a few days before that and still no credit. Thanks.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by exarkun
Just got off the phone with mileageplus support. A case has been created with the mileageplus x department who has to research my charges with a gift card services team. It could take 4-6 weeks for a credit to be issued back to my credit cards.

I'm also going to file a dispute with my credit card company about the extra charges...
Refunds from United MPX for my extra charges posted today.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by exarkun
Refunds from United MPX for my extra charges posted today.
Do you still have MPX's phone number? I in the same situation and have sent them two messages but they never replied.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by agarfield
Do you still have MPX's phone number? I in the same situation and have sent them two messages but they never replied.
Originally Posted by eibboh
Called UA, went through these options (My Account>Other Account Questions) and got a rep in under 2 minutes.
There isn't a MPX number, it's just MP support. YMMV on getting a rep that can help or is familiar with the app.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by agarfield
Read further up in this thread for the menu navigation I followed.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA DL
I bought some amazon gift cards from MPX for the first time and didn't run into any issues.
used PRG for payment and miles posted instantly
Old Sep 9, 2015, 7:45 am

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton, Priority Club, USAir, American Express Membership Rewards, Ultimate Rew, United
I made a purchase of a $200 Amazon gift certificate. I used my platinum card as payment . It has been about 12 days and I haven't gotten the United airline credit. Is anyone else having luck. I do have united as my airline choice for my Amex platinum. Should I call Amex?
Old Sep 9, 2015, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Carter29072
I made a purchase of a $200 Amazon gift certificate. I used my platinum card as payment . It has been about 12 days and I haven't gotten the United airline credit. Is anyone else having luck. I do have united as my airline choice for my Amex platinum. Should I call Amex?
No, you shouldn't call Amex. Getting gift card reimbursements is not a stated benefit of the card. That people got them in the past was a bug, not a feature. Calling them about it will just alert them to the fact that it is a gift card purchase and not an airline incidental charge.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:15 pm

Got an official email from MP regarding my 8/31 purchase.
We discovered an issue with the MileagePlus® X app and customers were charged for gift card purchases, but unable to retrieve the gift card.
You purchased a gift card through the MileagePlus X app during the time we were experiencing this issue. As a result, we have refunded your purchase. Please allow 7-10 days for this refund to be posted.
I already got my money back a few days ago but if anyone else hasn't, it should be coming soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.