Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at IAH [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at IAH [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2012, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA mm, Marriott PLT, Hilton Dia
UAX also uses gates D1-D3, but the odds are strong you won't get them. I agree with the others: you have to be a bit lucky to make the connection in 36 minutes.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 6:35 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
I owe HUGE thanks to the folks answering the Platinum line. When I called and she looked at the connection she said "You would need little wings on your feet and a prayer and you might make it." She then reworked the flights and I now have a reasonable connection through Chicago. At no charge to boot!
Old May 6, 2012, 11:05 am

IAH domestic to international tight layover

Opposite situation from most of this thread -- Our 17 year old son (i.e. a brisk walker) is scheduled to arrive IAH from Denver at 5:52PM (I assume terminal C) and leave at 6:50PM for Nicaragua (terminal E), all on United. Since he's leaving the country I assume he'll be able to check his bag all the way through and simply not have to deal with it at IAH, right? And the walk from C to E looks pretty doable, unless his DEN/IAH flight is pretty late. Does this sound pretty doable or should we try to make other arrangements?
Old May 11, 2012, 2:33 pm

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
35 Minute Connection in IAH?

Ontario (ONT) to Houston (IAH) - Fri, May 18
United 162 Dep: 6:49AM Arr: 11:55AM 3h 6m Boeing 737 First (A)
Layover in IAH 0h 35m

Houston (IAH) to Philadelphia (PHL) - Fri, May 18
United 1155 Dep: 12:30PM Arr: 4:53PM 3h 23m Boeing 737 First (A)

Is this 35 min layover doable and a legal connection time (what is the min connection time)

Please move if posted in wrong place unfamiliar here

Thanks
Old May 11, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Yes to both questions. You have no time to waste, but as long as your first flight is on time, you should be able to make it.
Old May 11, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
It's the lower limit of legal, but doable. Ideally you'll be coming and going from C/E. If that's the case you'll be fine.
Old May 11, 2012, 2:36 pm

You will pre-clear immigration in Ontario, so yes, it is doable. 30 mins is the minimum. 737 to 737 means you will probably be within terminal C both times. Clearly it is cutting it tight, but this is the best case scenario for a transfer in IAH (same terminal) mainline to mainline.
Old May 11, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
You will pre-clear immigration in Ontario, so yes, it is doable.
Ontario in this case is Ontario California..

All Canadian airports start with a Y (IE: Toronto = YYZ)
Old May 11, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Originally Posted by wcalvert
You will pre-clear immigration in Ontario
I don't think so, unless OP is using the incorrect airport code. ONT is Ontario, CA.
Old May 11, 2012, 2:49 pm

Programs: AC E, BA Bronze, HHonors Gold
You can do it if stars are aligned

I had a similar short connection from Montreal to Mexico via Houston (in my case the first leg was with Air Canada). I made it to the plane but not my bags (even I had the priority tag on them). So be prepared for that. Also, it helped that I was sitting at the front of economy class and that I was one of the first to leave the plane. I had to run upstairs to catch the train to go to the other terminal (B I believe) so it also helps if you are in good shape and the train is right there. If none of these conditions are there, most likely you will miss the plane.
Old May 11, 2012, 3:04 pm

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
Its ONT Ca Thanks for the replies I am trying to decide between ONT and SNA-IAH-PHL which is only 30 mins, I will be connecting onto PHL-MAN same day
cal
Old May 11, 2012, 3:29 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by 6rugrats
I don't think so, unless OP is using the incorrect airport code. ONT is Ontario, CA.
Given that "CA" means both California and Canada, this confused the pants off me for several seconds.

Dear America, please be more original when naming all your towns and cities, kthx.
Old May 11, 2012, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Don't do a 35 minutes if there's bad consequences to not making it (like if you cared about losing your first class seat, or it means you don't make a connection in PHL). If there's a later flight you can slide over to, less of a big deal. Be aware:
  • Worst case you could be close to mile between farthest C gate to the farthest E gate. There are carts who will drive you between gates, but aren't always there and don't alawys leave right away.
  • Flights do leave up to 10 minutes early. I had a late min connection, and running between terminals, I got to the gate at 9:07 for a 9:15 flight. The flight had already pushed back.
  • Houston can give you a long taxi, messing up an otherwise on time arrival. Their gate areas can get clogged, too, your gate may be clear, but several other planes need to get out of the way first.
  • If you have bags and it's close, flip a coin.
  • If you do misconnect because of a late flight, so will several others which will mean lines at customer service. Be ready with phone, united club, and other options. Customer service lines can move slowly - like 10 minutes per person. Be aware what United will and won't help you with (like codeshare, other travel not part of United PNR). Realize there's lots of areas they can't/won't help.
  • Your seat on the arrving plane matters. Toward the back and waiting for lots of slow families - you can burn 15 minutes right there.

Given what you've described with an ongoing intl connection, I would NOT do a 35 minute connection, even though they will let you try.
Old May 11, 2012, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've had a 45 minute connection from E to B (had to take the train). Went through immigration, the dreaded agricultural inspection and made the flight with time to spare.

If your flight isn't late, 35 minutes is plenty of time. (I do walk fast.)
Old May 11, 2012, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by xcalx
Is this 35 min layover doable and a legal connection time (what is the min connection time)
I have routinely booked 35 min layovers through IAH, some even between terminals B and E, and have yet to miss one. (I'm sure it will happen some day, but the risk is worth it because there are no other good options for my routing.)

I have done a lot of running, though. Wear running shoes. And sit near the front.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.