Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at IAH [ARCHIVE]

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at IAH [ARCHIVE]

Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:16 am

1 hour is probably the minimum. I would say this is probably going to be not a good situation. International transit customers still have to clear US Customs although I believe they do not have to re-check their bags.

The one thing going for them is that IAH has cart service and they only employ the finest Nascar/F1 driving rejects, but they wouldn't have use of it until after customs. The distance from customs to their gate in E shouldn't be too bad.

No way to get them on the later CO IAH-LHR flight that day? CO is really good about flat tire stuff though.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: AX/Accor/IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Carlson Gold, BA Silver, KM Permanent, JJC (Retd)
I'll make sure that they request assistance when the check-in.

If things go wrong, I'd hope that CO would bump them to the later flight since their flights are on the same PNR.

I think they will be in the same terminal throughout, right?

Thanks again.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by gnarly
I'll make sure that they request assistance when the check-in.

If things go wrong, I'd hope that CO would bump them to the later flight since their flights are on the same PNR.

I think they will be in the same terminal throughout, right?

Thanks again.
No matter what terminal they land at (prob E) they will have to go through International Arrivals and then their flight will depart from E, so as you can see on the map below, this is basically a best case scenario.

Also, from CO.com:

If you are departing the same day on another international flight operated by Continental or Continental Express, your checked baggage will be directly transferred to your departing flight.
If they miss the first flight, then CO will have no problems/issues with putting them on the later one at no charge assuming there are seats open.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1k
IAH: 42 Mins to Connect (C to E Gates)

I'm on 1241 out of EWR connecting to 1055 to SJO this friday. I'm in Z and have 42 minutes to connect, I've never been to IAH so not sure how long it'll take me to haul it from C to E Terminals which flight aware lists as the arrival/departure gates. A quick search online says 10-15 mins, just wanted to make sure that's accurate.

I guess I'm just paranoid, since every other flight out that day to SJO is 100% booked.

If we are delayed out of EWR aside from letting FA know anything else i should do?
Old Feb 14, 2012, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
C-E is not bad at all becaue you can do it on foot and avoid the train.

You should be fine. Good luck.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Former CO Presidential Plat (for a day!)
Terminal C - E depends a lot on which gate you get in and out of.

Some of the gates are REALLY close, so you could do them in 5 - 10 mins. In the worst case scenario IAH is very well known for their Krazy Karts. If you're running short on time it's justified for you to jump on one of them and ask him to drive you to your gate.

If it makes you feel any better, I've done an Int'l connection in IAH gate to gate in 15 mins. (thank you Global Entry!) including inmigration, customs, and reclearing into security.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 2:55 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

If you are a brisk walker, you should be able to make it in about 10 minutes. If you're on time, the train is also doable.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Originally Posted by oblisk
I'm on 1241 out of EWR connecting to 1055 to SJO this friday. I'm in Z and have 42 minutes to connect, I've never been to IAH so not sure how long it'll take me to haul it from C to E Terminals which flight aware lists as the arrival/departure gates. A quick search online says 10-15 mins, just wanted to make sure that's accurate.

I guess I'm just paranoid, since every other flight out that day to SJO is 100% booked.

If we are delayed out of EWR aside from letting FA know anything else i should do?
I'm not sure why the above people have generally recommended against the train; I spend 8 out of 10 waking hours connecting through that danged airport, and if it were me, I'd probably hop on the train. Unless, of course, your gates happen to be very near each other, which is possible between C and E.
When you're on your inbound flight, take the Continental magazine with you, so that you can look at the terminal map. OR, if you're good at following directions (which some people seem to have missed out on in grade school), then simply follow the overhead signs.

IAH is a very easy airport to connect through.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by mdt76
Some of the gates are REALLY close, so you could do them in 5 - 10 mins. In the worst case scenario IAH is very well known for their Krazy Karts. If you're running short on time it's justified for you to jump on one of them and ask him to drive you to your gate.
Yup, you don't wanna be 'that guy' running down the terminal in a suit... smh
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
C14-27 to E12+ = train.
C14-27 to E10/11 = wash.
Other C-E connections = walk.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:21 pm

International Connection at IAH in 56 minutes?

United says I have a 56 minute connection from international to domestic. Can I do it?

I trust them, but will they hold the plane for me if there is a line at immigration?

Last edited by Delta767; Feb 27, 2012 at 11:30 pm
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by Delta767
United says I have a 56 minute connection from international to domestic. Can I do it?
Possible? Yes. Probable? Hmmm maybe. It all depends on where you are coming from, which terminal you are connecting to, what time of day you are arriving, and the number of other international flights coming in during the same time.

I have had experience arriving, deplaning, walking to immigration, standing in line, going to passport control and customs all in 20 minutes. I have also gone through that whole process in sometimes an hour or even an hour and a half.

Originally Posted by Delta767
I trust them, but will they hold the plane for me if there is a line at immigration?
You will be rebooked on the next available flight if you do not make your connection. If I were you I will check to see what the other connections are to you final destination and proactively contact UA and see if they can rebook you on that flight.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 2:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
At IAH you will probably make it. Immigration and Customs are generally pretty efficient. Since it looks like you are on United, you can expect to clear immigration at Terminal E.

This is an instance where having Global Entry would benefit you.

Sit as close to the front of the plane as you can and move it once the plane lands.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:27 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by Legend717
I'm not sure why the above people have generally recommended against the train.
Short answer:
study the map posted below

Medium answer:
Because the train runs towards the north side of the terminal complexes. Not counting CO-Express, most CO flights operate towards the south side.

Long answer:
Most mainline-to-mainline connections involving a terminal change would be E to/from C-South. It's misleading calling that a terminal change as it's really easy. Walking from E towards D to catch the train, getting off at C-North and walking to C-South, would double your connect time.

If time is short, then using the train for E to/from C-North is also questionable. By the time you go upstairs, wait for the train, follow the crowd downstairs, you could've walked a good ways. However, I'm biased on this one as I enjoy a good brisk walk, particularly after sitting on a plane.

Any connection involving going to/from either A and/or B requires the train (assuming you don't want to leave and re-clear TSA security).
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:11 am

1h 34m Layover from Costa Rica at IAH?

Hi Everyone-
Please forgive me if this is a basic question, but it's been a while since i've travelled abroad. I'm trying to book a roundtrip ticket from So Cal to Costa Rica in June, but could use some advice.

What's the minimum time you would allow to swap planes at IAH when international travel is involved? Do you think this itinerary would work or should i allow additional time?
SJO to IAH UA1099
Depart - 11:45 a.m.
Arrive - 4:36 p.m.

(time between flights - 1 hour, 34 minutes)

IAH to LAX UA1734
Depart - 6:10 p.m.
Arrive - 7:40 p.m.
Thanks for your help!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.