Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at IAH [ARCHIVE]

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at IAH [ARCHIVE]

Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:37 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by PVDProf
If you haven't accepted the schedule change yet, this might be a case where I'd ask nicely if they'd confirm the family on a later flight.
Well, the next UA codeshare flight is 4 hours later, getting to ORD way past kids bed time, so there was no real option. There is a couple of CO flights later that afternoon. CSR wouldn't confirm me on one of those (as they don't have UA flight numbers) but I hope that CO would accommodate us if we miss the connection.

Thanks for feedback, everyone. I don't have Global Entry, but it wouldn't help since there are 5 of us! What may help is being seated close to the front on CUN-IAH, but that 'benefit' may be negated by luggage delays.

Now my concern is that CO PNR does not reflect the new flight we were rebooked on. UA PNR is fine, but CO still shows the 'old' flight, with a much more comfortable, 2hr connection. But, that's a separate discussion.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:08 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by gates1580
There is no 1K -Premium line for security check for the domestic connection. I looked for one but couldn't find any. May I didn't spend more than 2 seconds searching for a premium security line.
Actually there is - I used it last month.

It's immediately to your right once you get to the top of the escalators after the luggage re-check area. There was a blue "Elite Access" carpet allowing qualified pax to cut the line.
Old May 26, 2011, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA1K, HH Gold
IAH 30 min dom/intl connection - can it be done?

I am flying from SMF to LHR via IAH in early June. Booked on UA's website and the connection between flights is only 30 minutes. I called UA and CO desk and they indicated the connection could be made and didn't see any problem with it.

The SMF leg supposedly arrives in Terminal C and the LHR leg departs from Terminal E. Fortunately, I'm in 1A on the SMF leg and will be first off the plane with only a small carryon. Regardless, I know I will be sprinting to the other terminal.

Question for the FT crowd familiar with IAH: is there another security check between C and E, or can I just hightail it down the concourses? It doesn't look that far on the IAH map...

Anyone else successfully make a similar 30 min sprint between flights?

Related question: As a backup plan, I asked the UA desk "what happens if I miss the LHR flight if the SMF leg is delayed?" The desk rep said I could take a BA flight later that night. When I indicated I wanted to make sure I would still get the UA EQM if I had to take the BA flight and the UA rep said it would work. It sounded a bit suspicious to me. Anyone have any similar experiences?
Old May 26, 2011, 10:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
1) BA flight might be difficult if delay is weather related.

2) Why put yourself through so much stress? 30 minutes in generally tight for any connection.
Old May 26, 2011, 11:04 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
If you walk reasonably fast, even a relatively distant mainline-to-mainline connection at IAH can be made in ten minutes of walking time. That still leaves a published 30-minute connection with very little margin for error. There is no additional security check required.
Old May 27, 2011, 7:11 am

I would try and change your flight to one with a better connection. Bcuz up may be unlucky and have one of those days where it can take upwards of 20+ minutes to reach the gate. Also your SMF flight will arrive in either Terminal C or E.
Old May 27, 2011, 10:35 am

Programs: QR platinum
UA/CO seems to be selling awfully tight connections as legal: I booked an award for Ms. CASAFlyer with 55min INT-DOM at EWR. I was very skeptical about likelihood of making the connection, but CO res agent assured me it is legal (and in fact e-ticket has been issued).

Still better this than a >6 hours layover in EWR given current lack of award space on the ideal flight, which I hope to be able to get for her eventually...
Old May 27, 2011, 11:34 am
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
The last time I had a 30-some minute dom-intl connex at IAH, my itin disintegrated before I even departed TUS because of a late inbound a/c.

You might make it under perfect conditions. But, your schedule is very vulnerable to disruption, from even a 10-min wait at the C gate prior to disembarkation for example.

Which IAH-LHR are you on? CO operate two daily 772s. If you're scheduled on the earlier one, you might try for reaccommodation on the following one. It's only 3 hrs later.

As for BA, if that happens you can still obtain Original Routing Credit on UA so no problem. BA is better than they were a few years ago.

How about a reroute on DL via ATL and their barebones 763?
Old May 27, 2011, 12:18 pm

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Accomodation?

Hello,

I am facing the same tight connection times with a DTW-SEA itinerary booked late june.
I was wondering: Do they pay for accomodation if needed in case of a missed connection?

Have a good week-end!

Olivier
Old May 27, 2011, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by olivedel
Hello,

I am facing the same tight connection times with a DTW-SEA itinerary booked late june.
I was wondering: Do they pay for accomodation if needed in case of a missed connection?

Have a good week-end!

Olivier
This question might be better answered in the DL forum as this seems to be a DL flight, unless your DTW-SEA is connecting in lets say ORD or DEN.
Old May 27, 2011, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by PCRFlyer
Related question: As a backup plan, I asked the UA desk "what happens if I miss the LHR flight if the SMF leg is delayed?" The desk rep said I could take a BA flight later that night. When I indicated I wanted to make sure I would still get the UA EQM if I had to take the BA flight and the UA rep said it would work. It sounded a bit suspicious to me. Anyone have any similar experiences?
You're asking the UA desk what CO would do in a misconnect situation. That's asking for trouble.

CO has had problems complying with Star Alliance rebooking rules. While the UA answer you got was correct under *A rules, it's not a given that 1) BA would have space; and 2) CO would follow *A rules in your circumstance.

Your only saving grace may be that UA issued your ticket, so you could work with UA should you run into a problem.

Personally, I would never have booked a 30 minute connection on CO given CO's poor handling of IRROPS that I've experienced. It's asking for trouble.
Old May 27, 2011, 1:47 pm

I knw IAH like the back of my hand and even I wouldn't book a flight with a 30 min conx. I always book flights with at least 90 minutes jus to be safe.
Old May 30, 2011, 12:36 pm

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
This question might be better answered in the DL forum as this seems to be a DL flight, unless your DTW-SEA is connecting in lets say ORD or DEN.
No, it is a CO-CO connection in IAH, otherwise I wouldn't post there.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 9:57 am

Programs: UA1K, HH Gold
Well, in case anybody cares, I successfully made the connection. Good input from everyone on the thread: there was no security, so it was easy to move through the terminal, but everything did go perfectly on the flight and it is easy to see how the connection could have been missed if the flight gods were not on my side.

Interestingly enough, I boarded with about 20 minutes to spare - the pilot came on about 5 min after the scheduled departure time and said we would be waiting for another 10 minutes for an inbound connecting passenger on another CO flight. I didn't know they would do that.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 10:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by channa
You're asking the UA desk what CO would do in a misconnect situation. That's asking for trouble.

CO has had problems complying with Star Alliance rebooking rules. While the UA answer you got was correct under *A rules, it's not a given that 1) BA would have space; and 2) CO would follow *A rules in your circumstance.

Your only saving grace may be that UA issued your ticket, so you could work with UA should you run into a problem.

Personally, I would never have booked a 30 minute connection on CO given CO's poor handling of IRROPS that I've experienced. It's asking for trouble.
IME, UA agents are far worse at complying with Star rebooking rules than CO agents, due to both a lack of training and the fact that as a founding member of the Alliance, United won't be held to task for its shortcomings in this regard.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.