Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Related threads
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions

Shortest flights on UA (useful to get low mileage offers) (anything under 500 miles should would just as well)

Previous years' threads
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2016]
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2015]
Print Wikipost

United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2017, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH Senator, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
TATL J: 6.5k/13k for 2cpm RDM +13cpm PQM (15cpm total)

No plans to pick it up, will hit 110k by July regardless.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Used a global upgrade for YYC-MEL and got the 15000 PQM added for 10cpm
will make the 1K using the 15000

First post got informed about FT from UA1FLYER travelling LAX-MEL
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Email for a sale on Award Accelerator

Just got an email advertising **Up to 20% off on award accelerator for my flight to Chicago next week

United® is offering you the opportunity to receive at least 20% off** your purchase of extra award miles on your upcoming flight to Chicago through Award Accelerator®. Now's the perfect time to get the miles you need to reach the travel destination of your dreams with this exclusive offer from MileagePlus® and United.

No big deal you say, well I agree, except for the fine print....

**Our everyday price for purchasing award miles is 3.5 cents/mile plus a 7.5% federal excise tax. Compare Award Accelerator offer (the prices shown include federal excise tax) with this rate to calculate the discount you are getting on your offer.

I'm not sure we have ever seen the "Normal price" of the award accelerator miles, at least I don't remember.

Then, this is my "Offer"
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...1&d=1502398735

WC - I know there is a thread on award accel pricing, if you want to put this in there, fine, wasn't sure if it deserved a new thread or not - not sure how widely known the pricing is.
Attached Images  
Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
Used a global upgrade for YYC-MEL and got the 15000 PQM added for 10cpm
will make the 1K using the 15000

First post got informed about FT from UA1FLYER travelling LAX-MEL
I thought you couldn't buy up to 1K? I thought you can only use purchased Elite miles up to Gold Elite.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by icydog
I thought you couldn't buy up to 1K? I thought you can only use purchased Elite miles up to Gold Elite.
I'm interested in this too... about to buy 4,000 PQM for $580 to make sure I requalify for 1K and would like the peace of mind...
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by ORDtoAnywhere
I'm interested in this too... about to buy 4,000 PQM for $580 to make sure I requalify for 1K and would like the peace of mind...
Last year I used Accelerator to go from Platinum to 1K, but I had significantly more than $12,000 PQD.

On-Topic: Accelerator rates are sitting at $.17 CPM across all my reservations up from $.12 CPM in July. I should have bought some when I had the chance...
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by ORDtoAnywhere
Purchased PQM definitely count for 1K. The purchase price doesn't add to PQD though, so you'll need that covered already. It's also almost always cheaper to get PQM by flying than by purchase.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 4:40 pm

I'm seeing 10.5 CPM on an award ticket ($525 for 5k PQM). Anybody seen 9 CPM this year? And is there any way to make this purchase using an e-cert? I presume not...but would be quite chuffed if so.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
I'll let you know mid December as I should be past the 100000 mark with the bought miles
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:02 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
If you have the PQD, it doesn't matter how you get the PQM

It is the PQD waiver from the CC that only works up to Platinum
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
If you have the PQD, it doesn't matter how you get the PQM

It is the PQD waiver from the CC that only works up to Platinum

Aha! That’s right. I got mixed up. That’s why I gave up buying PQMs. For the few trips I take these days it’s just not worth it. A better use of my Travel dollar would be to purchase FC seats.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:12 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
I'm new to the world of MileagePlus, and currently have a YTD total of 0 PQM/PQS/PQD. However, I have an upcoming trip (from 17Oct to 03Nov) which will accrue 41,842 PQM with four segments on UA metal. Because I live overseas and my MP account is registered here, PQD are not a factor.

In another thread (not knowing there was this one) I asked a general "How much do PQM miles cost?" and was advised:

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It depends. It will vary based on the individual, how close you are to a threshold and the time of the year you purchase.

First, you have to purchase the corresponding RDMs, but the lowest combined rate for RDMs + PQMs has been about 9 - 10 cpm, for some it has been 12-15 cpm but in December 20-25 cpm is not uncommon.
I'm considering "going for the Gold" and buying my way into MP Gold status. From the above quote, I'm inferring that the extra 8,158 PQMs would cost less after I have completed the trip with 41,842 PQMs than trying to do it now with zero PQMs. If I wait, and make the purchase in November, any idea how much the PQMs would cost via the Premier Accelerator?

I'm trying to decide if I should do some sort of mileage run while I'm in the USA. My time schedule is fairly tight, but I found a two-day mileage run which would give me 8,384 PQM for $690. If I could purchase the RDM+PQM for 10cpm ($816) I'd rather do that and keep the two days of the trip as originally intended.

Can I only purchase Premier Accelerator miles in conjunction with an unflown itinerary? If so, can I book an itinerary online in November, purchase the RDM+PQM, and then cancel the itinerary within 24 hours? I actually did that for RDMs when I booked the upcoming trip. I booked an itinerary, bought some miles, then found a better itinerary so canceled the original booking, and the RDMs remained intact.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:35 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 1984SW
.... I'm considering "going for the Gold" and buying my way into MP Gold status. From the above quote, I'm inferring that the extra 8,158 PQMs would cost less after I have completed the trip with 41,842 PQMs than trying to do it now with zero PQMs. If I wait, and make the purchase in November, any idea how much the PQMs would cost via the Premier Accelerator?...
I'm going to suspeculate that the needed PQMs are more likely to cost more in November than now and more likely to cost more if you are nearer Gold vs your presently no status situation. There are no absolutes here but that is my impression of the likely outcome.

.... My time schedule is fairly tight, but I found a two-day mileage run which would give me 8,384 PQM for $690. If I could purchase the RDM+PQM for 10cpm ($816) I'd rather do that and keep the two days of the trip as originally intended.

Can I only purchase Premier Accelerator miles in conjunction with an unflown itinerary? If so, can I book an itinerary online in November, purchase the RDM+PQM, and then cancel the itinerary within 24 hours? ....
Yes & Yes
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm trying to decide if I should do some sort of mileage run while I'm in the USA. My time schedule is fairly tight, but I found a two-day mileage run which would give me 8,384 PQM for $690. If I could purchase the RDM+PQM for 10cpm ($816) I'd rather do that and keep the two days of the trip as originally intended.
Well, it won't be $816, because you won't be able tp purchase exactly 8,158. UA likes to sell nice round numbers; you might get lucky and see 8,500, or you might get unlucky and see 10K or even 15K.

As a data point, I currently have two offers for 6K/8K at $0.205 ($1230/$1640), 7.5K/15K at $0.19 ($1425/$2850), two for 40K/60K at $0.20 ($8000/$12000), 9K/18K at $0.15 ($1350/$2700), and 30K/45K at $0.14 ($4200/$6300). The $0.14 offer is a TPAC P fare; the $0.15 offer is a reasonably complicated J award ticket.

So, as you can see, the offers are all over the map.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Well, it won't be $816, because you won't be able tp purchase exactly 8,158. UA likes to sell nice round numbers; you might get lucky and see 8,500, or you might get unlucky and see 10K or even 15K.

As a data point, I currently have two offers for 6K/8K at $0.205 ($1230/$1640), 7.5K/15K at $0.19 ($1425/$2850), two for 40K/60K at $0.20 ($8000/$12000), 9K/18K at $0.15 ($1350/$2700), and 30K/45K at $0.14 ($4200/$6300). The $0.14 offer is a TPAC P fare; the $0.15 offer is a reasonably complicated J award ticket.

So, as you can see, the offers are all over the map.
Those are high numbers. 20c for the PQMs is high in my estimation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.