Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2010, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Say 3 Hail Mary's and 2 Our Fathers, and you'll...

It is a token of "appreciation". Lots of businesses do it, even when there is nothing wrong. Just say thanks (the way they want you to say thanks is with more business) and move on. You were a good boy. Probably doesn't happen often so enjoy the perks.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 9:51 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by kravi
While I'm not an idiot, and took it, I do have a lingering sense of guilt. I love the fact that you get something when they can't help and feel you got shafted, but in this case, I don't want to burden an airline with an already shaky financial situation by taking something they don't owe me because nothing is wrong...

--Me
You make a fine lowly 2P. A bit of searching will find that's meant as a compliment. ^

More seriously, it will all either even out in the end, or things will begin to tip back in UA's favor. Don't worry about it; people are trying to do their jobs as best they know how. They're probably better off automatically doing some token gesture than spending too much time figuring things out on an individual basis. Wish that weren't the case, but that's the world we live in.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 9:57 am

Welcome to United. You'll find they do something like this a lot. They like to throw miles/certs at people rather than actually fix things.

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Don't worry about it; people are trying to do their jobs as best they know how.
With many United employees, that's often realllllllllllllllllllllly pushing it.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 16, 2010 at 1:28 pm Reason: merge
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1K
I know you didn't ask about it, but you should be able to get EQM in the form of original routing credit for the UA flight if you're persistent.

The discussion at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ng-merged.html and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l-eqm-eqs.html is pretty positive about EQM eventually posting if you happen to hit the right combination of "friendly people on the other side of the phone/fax" and "stars aligned".

If you've already given up on it and decided that an appreciation certificate for your hassle is thoughtful enough to make you stop trying, that's cool too But based on those threads, it looks like people have often been successful at getting original routing credit in situations that might have been like yours.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:08 am

Programs: WN Companion Pass, HH Gold
Originally Posted by PanHam
With many United employees, that's often realllllllllllllllllllllly pushing it.
Don't know. I used to fly NWA (despite what everyone says, I never had a bad experience, always flew nice planes, and ALWAYS got upgraded even as a lowly silver - probably because everyone avoided NWA like the plague). After Delta bought them and the merge finished, I flew Delta a couple of times and was miserable.

I put in a status transfer to United about 4 weeks ago, got it 3 weeks ago, have put on around 7k EQM since then, but have been very pleased with service. Maybe the bar was just set too low?

--Me
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Don't worry about it.

If you feel guilty about it, next time they mess you up a bit, don't complain and call it even.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.4MM; AA PLT 2.5MM; Hilton Diamond; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Amex MR; Chase UR, et al
Originally Posted by kravi
...I don't want to burden an airline with an already shaky financial situation by taking something they don't owe me because nothing is wrong...
If it was miles, I really wouldn't worry about it. If it is a discount certificate, feel free to rip it up (well, print the email and rip that up?)

I agree with most others, though - UA sent that to you to maintain a sense of goodwill. UAUA is actually making money right now (minus the volcano) and they want you to keep buying seats. If they build up some goodwill with you, especially a relatively new UA elite, then you're more likely to cut them some slack next time things go awry.

As far as the EQM, I've had 100% success with the recommended fax approach to claiming original routing credit and would encourage you to do that - only takes a few minutes.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 3:53 pm

I have a slightly tricky situation and would appreciate any feedback/thoughts...

I purchased a roundtrip on CO, with my MP number in the record. Outbound flights credited quickly, and with no problems. On the return trip, I was scheduled to fly LIM-IAH-LAX on CO, but due to a very delayed incoming aircraft, I was put on a non-stop LIM-LAX on LAN Chile instead. I was also denied any kind of lounge access, since my *G status meant nothing to LAN, and CO refused to let me use the (contract) lounge.

Can I still try to claim the original routing credit (LIM-IAH-LAX)? How would I do this, since I want to credit miles for a CO flight I was moved from, to my UA MP account, after having flown on LA? Do I contact MP, or OnePass? And would MP even consider this?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old May 25, 2010, 3:53 pm

Interrupted segment run: Original routing credit?

In brief, earlier this month I had a same-day DCA-ORD-MKE-ORD-DCA segment run booked. (Am shooting to make 1P the hard way -- Q1 travel involved a lot of east coast short hops -- and had an expiring credit cert to burn.)

Upon arrival in ORD, I discovered that my onward connection to MKE had been canceled by UA (not wx) and that the system had autorebooked me to return to DCA. (The system simply dropped my MKE-ORD res, leaving my original 4th segment.) After a lengthy adventure trying to get a live GA to help me, I managed to rebook on an earlier flight back to DCA.

Naturally, MP is crediting me only for the DCA-ORD-DCA r/t. And .bomb is showing 2 unused coupons as technically available for refund. (Oddly, it's MKE-ORD-DCA, even though I already flew ORD-DCA and never flew ORD-MKE.)

Obviously, I don't want a refund, which couldn't amount to much anyway (esp. since the total out-of-pocket cost was ~$70 on top of the travel credit). I faxed MP ten days ago requesting ORC, but have received no response. Should I

- kick myself for not simply rebooking onto a later ORD-MKE-ORD-DCA itinerary?

- pester MP some more for original routing credit?

- chalk it up to experience & console myself with the new $200 travel credit I was offered (which I didn't even ask for, and which I have not yet accepted online) when I first called to request ORC?

Last edited by beltway; Jun 2, 2010 at 12:39 pm Reason: corrected description of unused coupons
Old May 25, 2010, 4:05 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Pester MP for original routing credit. Fax them again a brief note explaining you're requesting the original routing credit since UA cancelled your original flights and involuntarily rerouted you; give them the original routing + photocopies of your BPs. Shouldn't be a problem.

You can also call and get it done over the phone... may have to talk to a few people to get someone to do it, though, IME.

And take the $200 as well and put it toward another flight later, too.
Old May 25, 2010, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
Pester MP for original routing credit. Fax them again a brief note explaining you're requesting the original routing credit since UA cancelled your original flights and involuntarily rerouted you; give them the original routing + photocopies of your BPs. Shouldn't be a problem.

You can also call and get it done over the phone... may have to talk to a few people to get someone to do it, though, IME.

And take the $200 as well and put it toward another flight later, too.
I did fax them a 1-page letter backed up with copies of all relevant docs (original itinerary; EasyUpdate notices of cancellation & auto-rebook; all BPs). That was 10 days ago; no reply by phone, email, or otherwise.

I also called last week & spoke with a line CSR & a supervisor who insisted that ORC would not be granted for unflown segments like this. I don't think she was denying the existence of ORC in general; rather, she seemed to be distinguishing between a re-route to same destination and my case, where I never reached MKE.

And I do indeed plan to act on the compensation offer (which, for the record, is $200; 9K RDM; or 20% off a future ticket) as soon as I get a definitive response re ORC.
Old May 25, 2010, 4:33 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by beltway
I did fax them a 1-page letter backed up with copies of all relevant docs (original itinerary; EasyUpdate notices of cancellation & auto-rebook; all BPs). That was 10 days ago; no reply by phone, email, or otherwise.
On a few occasions, it's taken me 2-3 tries via fax. They never seem to give feedback--the miles just show up in a few days if successful. But it's always worked eventually.

Originally Posted by beltway
I also called last week & spoke with a line CSR & a supervisor who insisted that ORC would not be granted for unflown segments like this. I don't think she was denying the existence of ORC in general; rather, she seemed to be distinguishing between a re-route to same destination and my case, where I never reached MKE.
The tried & true FT action is to try, try again until you get the right answer. I needed ORC to make 1P a few years ago, and had to call 3x times before I got someone who granted it as a "one-time exception" claiming "you can only get credit for miles flown; UA is not a 'frequent buyer' program but a 'frequent flier' program," etc. But I did get the credit.

You could also e-mail the Premier Voice and request ORC.
Old May 29, 2010, 5:06 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
My daughter had a Delta ticket last week SFO-MSP-ORD. The SFO-MSP was running late, so they put her on a direct United flight. But the United gate agent wouldn't accept her United Frequent Flyer number, telling her "Delta payed for the ticket." Luckily she kept the boarding pass.

Has anything like this happened to others?
Old May 29, 2010, 5:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sosafan
.... the United gate agent wouldn't accept her United Frequent Flyer number....
You might try the online Missing Flight Credit?
Old May 30, 2010, 8:33 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You might try the online Missing Flight Credit?
Wow, that worked instantly!

Even though the number didn't start with 016.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.