Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2015, 9:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Just request "Original Routing Credit" from UA.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
I believe this is one of the situations where "double dipping" is allowed. Since AA isn't part of the Star Alliance, you can request ORC from UA, as well as AA/Oneworld miles.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
Poll: Should United Credit PQMs for Cancelled First Class Flight?

So I had scheduled my final UA flight of the year this weekend and purchased a First Class return ticket, with the knowledge that the PQM bonus of the First Class flight would nudge be just above 25,000 PQM for the year, and re-qualification of Elite Status.

The flight out of Tyler, Texas was ultimately cancelled due to weather, and there were no First Class seats available on any flights over the next few days, so we returned in Economy Class. United DID say they would refund me the difference between the First Class and Coach fare.

I contacted United and advised them of the situation, and that I had specifically planned this last trip of the year to nudge me above 25,000 miles, and asked that since the cancellation situation was out of my control, would they offer a courtesy 1,000 PQM? Their response is below. Note I have been a 1K for many years until recently, with a move to NYC and Delta being a little more convenient.

Question - should UA offer the courtesy PQM? Would other airlines, as a gesture of good will? .. I have to imagine now that I am looking at no status on UA for 2016, moving over to Delta (where I am rapidly becoming Platinum) would be a no brainer.

** Response from UA **

Hello Mr. ****,

We’re always glad to hear from Premier Gold members like you. Thanks for writing.

We are unable to add Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) as a courtesy, due to a canceled flight. Our Customer Care uses other forms of goodwill, to include travel certificates and award miles.

If, in January, you are still short of the required PQM, please contact MileagePlus to see what other options we may have available for you to obtain your desired status.

We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

Regards,

Gavin M*****
MileagePlus® Lead Representative
Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rgrunnah
So I had scheduled my final UA flight of the year this weekend and purchased a First Class return ticket, with the knowledge that the PQM bonus of the First Class flight would nudge be just above 25,000 PQM for the year, and re-qualification of Elite Status.

The flight out of Tyler, Texas was ultimately cancelled due to weather, and there were no First Class seats available on any flights over the next few days, so we returned in Economy Class. United DID say they would refund me the difference between the First Class and Coach fare.

I contacted United and advised them of the situation, and that I had specifically planned this last trip of the year to nudge me above 25,000 miles, and asked that since the cancellation situation was out of my control, would they offer a courtesy 1,000 PQM? Their response is below. Note I have been a 1K for many years until recently, with a move to NYC and Delta being a little more convenient.

Question - should UA offer the courtesy PQM? Would other airlines, as a gesture of good will? .. I have to imagine now that I am looking at no status on UA for 2016, moving over to Delta (where I am rapidly becoming Platinum) would be a no brainer.

** Response from UA **

Hello Mr. ****,

We’re always glad to hear from Premier Gold members like you. Thanks for writing.

We are unable to add Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) as a courtesy, due to a canceled flight. Our Customer Care uses other forms of goodwill, to include travel certificates and award miles.

If, in January, you are still short of the required PQM, please contact MileagePlus to see what other options we may have available for you to obtain your desired status.

We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

Regards,

Gavin M*****
MileagePlus® Lead Representative
As suggested by the topic merge, it seems like this would be a situation in which to request original routing credit. Granted it sounds as if you did fly the same route, but the same principle should apply I'd think.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rgrunnah
... Question - should UA offer the courtesy PQM? ....
This may be an issue of how the the questions was phrased. Generally courtesy PQMs are not offered by UA or other airlines and NO is the standard answer.

Try again and ask for original routing credit (ORC) for an involuntary change. See the wiki for help on this issue.

However part of the issue will be, you get the refund or you get the ORC -- but not both usually.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 5:46 am

Can I get ORC on my United FF account, for involuntarily rerouted LH flights?

I booked a holidays trip in business class on LH, where I gave my UA FF# to credit when I booked online on LH (outbound on LH metal SFO-MUC-CPT in December 2015, return will be on LH metal back to SFO in January 2016). The EQM I expected to earn on UA with the 2015 part of the trip on LH were planned to get me comfortably above silver status for 2016. Unfortunately when I got to SFO I found I had been involuntarily rerouted to BA metal (which is One World and not Star Alliance), SFO-LHR-CPT, on the outbound December 2015 because of a LH mechanical problem that delayed the SFO-MUC several hours, past the time that would have allowed me to connect on the MUC-CPT flight and get to CPT on time. Although I was appreciative of the reroute, so I got to CPT on time, I do not have much use for BA miles -- I want my UA EQM miles, if at all possible. Is this something I could realistically pursue with UA, or am I just out of luck because the mechanical problem occurred with LH and not with UA metal?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ermdjdsj
... Is this something I could realistically pursue with UA, or am I just out of luck because the mechanical problem occurred with LH and not with UA metal?
Yes, you can request --I have gotten ORC for a partner problem (but it was on UA ticket stock).

Checkout the end ("other issues") of the wiki.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I was due to fly SEA-DEN-xxx and SEA-DEN was over 4+ hours late due to snow in Denver on Tuesday. I got re-routed on AA through PHL to my final destination and ultimately made it there, hours later.

I submitted an ORC to 1KVoice and got denied saying they won't offer ORC in cases of re-route due to weather. I've never had this happen before. In fact I've never been denied ORC.

Anyone else have this issue? Suggestions on remedy since I got denied via email to 1KVoice?

Thanks,
RM
Old Dec 20, 2015, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I was due to fly SEA-DEN-xxx and SEA-DEN was over 4+ hours late due to snow in Denver on Tuesday. I got re-routed on AA through PHL to my final destination and ultimately made it there, hours later.

I submitted an ORC to 1KVoice and got denied saying they won't offer ORC in cases of re-route due to weather. I've never had this happen before. In fact I've never been denied ORC.

Anyone else have this issue? Suggestions on remedy since I got denied via email to 1KVoice?

Thanks,
RM
wow. Someone needs to be re-educated. I'd call and get it added manually. This is insane IMO.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by cfischer
wow. Someone needs to be re-educated. I'd call and get it added manually. This is insane IMO.
Yeah. I re-emailed 1Kvoice and even pointed out it was my second request and that I felt I was incorrectly denied the first time. Within 30 minutes I had a response apologizing for the inconvenience and it said to expect the flights to post to my account within 24 hours.

Either the first person didn't read my email correctly or was just having a bad day. Or just doesn't know the rules. This is UA after all. Most CSR's make up the rules as they go.

-RM
Old Dec 21, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum), HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Yeah. I re-emailed 1Kvoice and even pointed out it was my second request and that I felt I was incorrectly denied the first time. Within 30 minutes I had a response apologizing for the inconvenience and it said to expect the flights to post to my account within 24 hours.

Either the first person didn't read my email correctly or was just having a bad day. Or just doesn't know the rules. This is UA after all. Most CSR's make up the rules as they go.

-RM
I never bother emailing to request ORC--I always call in. I've never had a problem calling in, and it's usually come thing that the CSR can handle within a few minutes. I've also found having your original ticket number handy helps the CSR to expedite things.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 5:43 pm

Programs: SPG P, HH G, MR G, IHG P, Hyatt D
Booked ticket on OZ, due to delay changed to KE, can I still collect miles

I bought ticket Osaka-Seoul-Frankfurt on Asiana. I flew the segment KIX-ICN on Asiana. Due to delayed Asiana flight I changed to a Korean air flight on the ICN-FRA segment. What program will I earn miles Star or Skyteam? Can you please share your experience?
Old Dec 25, 2015, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wedotravel
I bought ticket Osaka-Seoul-Frankfurt on Asiana. I flew the segment KIX-ICN on Asiana. Due to delayed Asiana flight I changed to a Korean air flight on the ICN-FRA segment. What program will I earn miles Star or Skyteam? Can you please share your experience?
This is a relatively rare situation where you can probably claim with both.

This is probably best in the ORC thread. Ive done this when I've misconnected on UA flights no problem - you just call the MP line and they can do everything right over the phone in most cases. Just not sure what happens when you are originally booked on a *partner instead. Likely, it can be done, but probably will take more effort then if it was a UA irrops. But if this goes in he ORC thread, there are probably folks with more experience in your kind of situation that can provide better answers.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
I misconnected MCO-IAH-LIM, and they rebooked me IAH-MEX (UA) // MEX-LIM (Aeromexico). I called in the day after and requester Original Travel Credit, and got the miles I was originally supposed to get. Of course, I could've signed up with Aeromexico's program and gotten miles for that flight as well.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by wedotravel
Did you have any FF program listed on the original ticket?

What do you want to happen?

There exists a concept called Original Routing Credit you might try if you wish to credit to UA MP which credits you for your original scheduled flights in place of what you flew. This requires you have had UA MP listed as your FF account -- however as the ORC wiki states a partner changing to a non-partner flight on a non-016 can be a difficult request.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.