Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Archive)

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Archive)

Old Dec 4, 09, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by davidavid237 View Post
Tonight I'm flying PHX-DEN-PDX. An Easy Update just informed me that my first flight is 30 minutes late, which will make my connection in Denver [U]very[U] tight.

Two questions:
1) My Intineraries is now showing my original flights, and also an Alaska Airlines direct flight. Does this mean UA has booked me on that other flight already? I didn't realize they would do such a thing.

2) It is extremely important that I receive the mileage from PHX-DEN-PDX, and that I get DEQM for it. My travel is planned out for the year and I will make 1K by 200 miles. If I take the Alaska flight do I have any chance of getting not only the original booking mileage, but also the DEQM?

Thanks!
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR View Post
Yes and yes! They have rebooked you on Alaska and if you take the Alaska flight you can get your original mileage credit by contacting MP customer service afterwards. In fact you can even double dip and earn Alaska miles if you have an account with them.
I just phoned MP customer service, requested Original Routing Credit, and my account had been updated by the time I got off the phone and hit refresh on my computer. Easy.
Old Dec 4, 09, 1:51 pm

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
Originally Posted by davidavid237 View Post
I just phoned MP customer service, requested Original Routing Credit, and my account had been updated by the time I got off the phone and hit refresh on my computer. Easy.
Easy for a 1K. Do you think UA would be as cooperative for a 1P? I may very well find out this Monday... with rain all along the west coast, my SJC-SBA-SFO-BUR-DEN-IAD run could fall apart.

There's also the irony that UA might be more willing to give original routing credit when flown on another carrier than themselves.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Dec 4, 09 at 1:54 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Dec 5, 09, 2:22 pm

Hi Mike-

Actually, I'm 1P, not 1K!

David

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky View Post
Easy for a 1K. Do you think UA would be as cooperative for a 1P? I may very well find out this Monday... with rain all along the west coast, my SJC-SBA-SFO-BUR-DEN-IAD run could fall apart.

There's also the irony that UA might be more willing to give original routing credit when flown on another carrier than themselves.
Old Dec 5, 09, 7:18 pm
2mg

DL offered to provide ORC today, but sent me back to my original destination because I would have been stranded if I got on the original flight (delayed an hour) they also offered to refund the unused segments. Are they being overly generous or can I expect to get the refund, but no mileage credit, even though that was the first offer put "on the table".

(BTW, I recognize this is the United forum but I didn't find this topic (ORC) in DL forum)
Old Dec 5, 09, 8:43 pm

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
Originally Posted by RonDace View Post
I've gotten credit for a couple of cancelled flights due to weather. United even has a form you can use to submit with your boarding pass. One time MKE-ORD they cancelled the flight, put us on a bus to ORD then reinstated the flight. When I got to ORD the RCC agent asked how I got there. (I wanted to make sure the rest of my itin wasn't cancelled.) I got credit for that flight (and my car was in MKE.) Another time the ORD-MKE segment was cancelled and it was too late to get the bus to MKE so I called my wife (who hates to drive to ORD in the snow) and she picked me up. My car was in MKE so another trip by car to pick up my car the next day. I forgot how I wrote the expense report for that one. I got credit for the cancelled flights and at that time I was making 1P on segments.
I can relate. I regularly fly SFO-MSN and once in a while SFO-MKE. Last winter the MKE-ORD segment was looking questionable due to weather. We arrived at MKE, and the flight had not yet actually been cancelled, but the GA said no way to count on it, probably won't go, get on the "bus" (more like a hotel shuttle) to ORD and yes, UA will still give us the miles and not cancel the rest of the ticket (I specifically asked).

No problem at ORD, but the miles didn't credit. I called MP, they said I'd have to fax the info in. So I faxed the info, and they denied it. I wrote back explaining everything, again, and it was denied. Again. I wrote back a third time, asked that it be considered by someone in a position to take care of it, and got a very nicely-written reply and the needed miles.

At all times I was extremely polite, but stuck to the fact that I was doing what the GA at MKE said to do. I don't think they're used to a lowly 2P being so persistent. There may not be any data points for me as a humble 1P, a position I'll hold for just over 7 weeks if all goes right.

Don't know what I'm going to do if plans work out though. Frankly, after coining the title BOLD 1K, I don't feel worthy to use it. Not there yet though!
Old Dec 9, 09, 2:52 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
When re-booked on a non *A carrier, has anyone tried "double booking" the miles?

So I know the ethics on this are dubious, but I'm still curious about the logistics of this.

I've been rebooked on AA a few times due to United irregular operations. I then put in a phone call / fax request that takes forever to get my "original routing credit." But i'm wondering if I were to take my BP from AA... and submit that to my Alaska Mileage Plan account, if they would give me the actual mileage...

Has anyone tried this?
Old Dec 9, 09, 3:10 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hungarianhc View Post
So I know the ethics on this are dubious, but I'm still curious about the logistics of this.

I've been rebooked on AA a few times due to United irregular operations. I then put in a phone call / fax request that takes forever to get my "original routing credit." But i'm wondering if I were to take my BP from AA... and submit that to my Alaska Mileage Plan account, if they would give me the actual mileage...

Has anyone tried this?
Yes and yes.

You should always earn miles on the carrier you fly. That UA gives you the original routing credit as a courtesy in no way changes your relationship with the operating carrier. You aren't even cheating anyone when you double-collect.
Old Dec 9, 09, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Ari View Post
Yes and yes.

You should always earn miles on the carrier you fly. That UA gives you the original routing credit as a courtesy in no way changes your relationship with the operating carrier. You aren't even cheating anyone when you double-collect.
i have done this multiple times when booked on AA and rerouted on other carriers. a few times LGA-BOS i was put on delta and twice from PIT-ORD-LGA i was put on PIT-EWR CO flight...never had trouble double dipping.
Old Dec 9, 09, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Plat
Now, if you were on UA and got rebooked onto, say, CO or LH and tried to request credit from both carriers--then things get more difficult, if not impossible.
Old Dec 9, 09, 4:02 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Trvlr View Post
Now, if you were on UA and got rebooked onto, say, CO or LH and tried to request credit from both carriers--then things get more difficult, if not impossible.
Why the heck was this thread moved into the American forum??? This thread is about flying UNITED and being booked on ANY non star-alliance carrier. I just used American as this was the carrier I was re-booked on last night. Mods, if you read this, please re-move the thread. Otherwise I guess I already have my answer. Apologies to everyone in the American forum reading my post about United and double booking miles.

That being said... if the thread stays here, to all the AA fliers, I did have quite a pleasant experience flying American last night!
Old Dec 9, 09, 4:33 pm

Programs: EXP AA.
Why the heck was this thread moved into the American forum??? This thread is about flying UNITED and being booked on ANY non star-alliance carrier. I just used American as this was the carrier I was re-booked on last night. Mods, if you read this, please re-move the thread. Otherwise I guess I already have my answer. Apologies to everyone in the American forum reading my post about United and double booking miles.

That being said... if the thread stays here, to all the AA fliers, I did have quite a pleasant experience flying American last night!
Welcome to the wacky world of AAdvantage...... I enjoyed the thread, and managed to get some AA points, when KLM dumped me on British Airways once.

Cheers Larry.
Old Dec 9, 09, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Just to take this thread further asunder....

I had it happen last month when my connecting flight from BOM on BA to LHR was too late to make my BA TLV connection. BA rebooked me onto BMI to TLV and credited the missing miles to AA without me even asking. In the BMI lounge I asked for the flight to be credited to my TG account, which they did without problem.

Last edited by PMMMDL; Dec 9, 09 at 6:43 pm Reason: clarity
Old Dec 10, 09, 9:58 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold

Since the thread is about UNITED we are not going to let your valuable information go to waste.
Nevertheless anyone doing a search for this information might get confused if it stays in the AAdvantage forum so we are forwarding (returning?) to the Mileage Plus forum.

~magic111
Old Dec 10, 09, 11:07 am
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Trvlr View Post
Not necessarily. Have 2 *A FFPs.
Old Dec 12, 09, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.6 MM
Go for ORC or stay pat?

I was scheduled on UA842 GRU-ORD-LAX yesterday on M fare with upgrade waitlisted. The GRU-ORD leg was cancelled for a mechanical. I was rebooked on CO in Y and flew GRU-IAH-LAX.

I was expecting to earn 13,994 EQM (5252 x 2 + 1745 x 2, including DEQM) for UA842, which is what I received for UA843 LAX-ORD-GRU outbound. Oddly enough, the waitlisted upgrade on "My Itineraries" showed the mileage as 6156, the great circle mileage between GRU and LAX not the sum of the two individual segments so its possible if the upgrade had happened it may have resulted in fewer EQM/RDMs. I have no idea why the two cases for the same flights would be calculated differently.

I am awaiting the two CO flights to post to my MP account, which in my limited experience takes about three days. I expect this to yield 9423 EQM (4903 x 1.5 + 1379 x 1.5 including Y COS bonus), a difference of 4571 fewer EQMs.

The question is whether to apply for the original routing credit or to leave well enough alone. I will qualify for 1K either way, but not if the GRU-LAX flights aren't credited at all (or are not credited until after 31 Dec?). Three reasons to try to get ORC are (1) 4 more e500s, possibly useful before UDU begins (2) better RDM yield and (3) 14K miles closer to MM. The negative is the remote risk of not making 1K if there is a cock-up.

Any thoughts?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: