Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Archive)

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Archive)

Old Dec 3, 09, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1p HH gold
Rerouted, do I get miles for the original flgiht

My overnight flight from KOA to LAX was delayed for 5 hours due to mechanical issues (UA had to find a different plane for LAX-KOA). As a result, I missed my original LAX-SAN flight. There is no seat available to SAN until late in the afternoon but the gate agent did find a LAX-CLD flight for me so I took it (I live between SAN and CLD anyway). My question is that can I still get my original LAX-SAN miles? It's only 1k miles but the EQM could be important for me. Thanks.

WJ
Old Dec 3, 09, 5:29 pm

Programs: Car seems to be the mode of transport these days. I do not miss all the travel
Rerouted, do I get miles for the original flight

When I inquired re EQM's for original route, I was told NO. This was due to UA canceling the 7 day a week operation.
Old Dec 3, 09, 5:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jwudbwei View Post
My overnight flight from KOA to LAX was delayed for 5 hours due to mechanical issues (UA had to find a different plane for LAX-KOA). As a result, I missed my original LAX-SAN flight. There is no seat available to SAN until late in the afternoon but the gate agent did find a LAX-CLD flight for me so I took it (I live between SAN and CLD anyway). My question is that can I still get my original LAX-SAN miles? It's only 1k miles but the EQM could be important for me. Thanks.

WJ
You'll get the same EQM (500, or 1000 if you are/do sign up for the DEQM promo) for LAX-CLD as you would have for LAX-SAN. @:-)

So yes, you could get the original ones... but you'd end up with the same miles in the end. Actually, you could end up with less--the LAX-CLD flight might have been rebooked in full Y given the scenario you laid out, which will be 750 EQM or 1250 under DEQM (as the CoS bonus for full Y doesn't double).
Old Dec 3, 09, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by chavada View Post
When I inquired re EQM's for original route, I was told NO. This was due to UA canceling the 7 day a week operation.
Call back and request "original routing credit."
Old Dec 3, 09, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by exerda View Post
Call back and request "original routing credit."
IME, fax it in. I see people in threads all the time mention that they need multiple calls to get original routing credit (if ever).

I have had 100% success getting original routing credit by faxing a short letter, along with the original schedule, and the BP's used.

By faxing, I have never needed more intervention, and have never been denied.
Old Dec 3, 09, 7:09 pm

Programs: nobody
Call 1P and have them transfer to MP and ask for original credit. As the reroute is due to MX delay (involuntary reroute), they will give you credit right away. I just did that couple days ago (1K line though) when my 11/26 NRT-TPE flight was delayed for 15 hrs. They put me on a CI flight instead. I called in and they just updated my record in 2 min.
Old Dec 3, 09, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780 View Post
IME, fax it in. I see people in threads all the time mention that they need multiple calls to get original routing credit (if ever).

I have had 100% success getting original routing credit by faxing a short letter, along with the original schedule, and the BP's used.

By faxing, I have never needed more intervention, and have never been denied.
I agree fax is a good way to go; I had one or two occasions, though, where I faxed things in and never heard back (nor got the miles); a call resolved one right away, though the second took 3x calls and an infamous "one-time exception." (I got rerouted due to irrops from DEN-PHX-LAX-SAN to DEN-SAN or something similar, and needed those miles; I finished at 50,003 EQM that year.)

I would say that with fax, if you don't see the miles post within 2 weeks, you need to fax again or call.
Old Dec 3, 09, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver
For an opposite experience, I've never had problems calling in for ORC. Granted I've only needed to do ti a couple of times, and when I have been sent to other (and even non-partner) carriers. Tehy could see the switch and did it right over teh phone, without even needing to see a BP.
Old Dec 3, 09, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
write email

Write email to CS and you should get it credited in 2 days.

Good Luck,

Karung
Old Dec 3, 09, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by exerda View Post
I would say that with fax, if you don't see the miles post within 2 weeks, you need to fax again or call.
FWIW, every time I have faxed in, I have seen the miles post within 2 days (at most).
Old Dec 3, 09, 10:13 pm

Programs: SPG, HH, AA, UA, BD, Hyatt, TYP
Why are you wanting original routing credit? You will still earn 500eqm/1000RDM on the flight you've been rebooked. That's the same that you would have earned on LAX-SAN. Like a previous poster stated, you might get lucky and get a COS bonus on the LAX-CLD if they rebooked you in Y (which is often times the case).

UA is not going to give you credit for the original route and the new route.
Old Dec 3, 09, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA 1p HH gold
Originally Posted by halothane View Post
Why are you wanting original routing credit? You will still earn 500eqm/1000RDM on the flight you've been rebooked. That's the same that you would have earned on LAX-SAN. Like a previous poster stated, you might get lucky and get a COS bonus on the LAX-CLD if they rebooked you in Y (which is often times the case).

UA is not going to give you credit for the original route and the new route.
halothane & exerda,

I was actually trying to see if I can get both LAX-CLD and LAX-SAN credits. It seems that some people got them in similar situations. Are you saying that it is impossible?

WJ
Old Dec 4, 09, 12:00 am

It's one or the other. You won't (or shouldn't) get both.
Old Dec 4, 09, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by jwudbwei View Post
halothane & exerda,

I was actually trying to see if I can get both LAX-CLD and LAX-SAN credits. It seems that some people got them in similar situations. Are you saying that it is impossible?
Yep--you'll only get one or the other. Although I don't doubt people have gotten both on occasion, those occasions were definitely mistakes on UA's part and not policy.
Old Dec 4, 09, 8:08 am

Programs: UAGM (former 1P), Hilton Gold (former Diamond), heading for dirt.
I've gotten credit for a couple of cancelled flights due to weather. United even has a form you can use to submit with your boarding pass. One time MKE-ORD they cancelled the flight, put us on a bus to ORD then reinstated the flight. When I got to ORD the RCC agent asked how I got there. (I wanted to make sure the rest of my itin wasn't cancelled.) I got credit for that flight (and my car was in MKE.) Another time the ORD-MKE segment was cancelled and it was too late to get the bus to MKE so I called my wife (who hates to drive to ORD in the snow) and she picked me up. My car was in MKE so another trip by car to pick up my car the next day. I forgot how I wrote the expense report for that one. I got credit for the cancelled flights and at that time I was making 1P on segments.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: