Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Archive)

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Archive)

Old Dec 2, 09, 9:41 am

For irrops, yes. If its there fault, yes. I'm not sure about weather delays, but you should be OK if you 'fall behind' and skip a leg to catch up. Just remember to ask for "original routing credit". There are some forum discussions on it.
Old Dec 2, 09, 9:55 am

Programs: UA Plat., 1.52 MM
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky View Post
For my upcoming sjc-sba-sfo-bur-den-iad mr day from hell, it occurs to me that there are several points where things could go wrong. This has been brought home nicely while waiting for my las-sfo flight that's delayed 90 minutes due to fog at sfo.

I do need to get to iad but I also need the miles from each segment. If I get to sba and it becomes obvious that sfo is hosed, and I re-route through lax or san, is united likely to give me the miles from the original itinerary or will they look at my convoluted original routing and say you've got to be kidding?

Thanks, figured this belongs here because it's specific to ua policy but if the mods feel otherwise please move it. Thanks!
Mike: you are as experienced as anybody here...
The more segments, more can go off treekk...
In this forum thread that has to do with kudos for UA, last week, I have a post on how RCC in ORD and reservation desk assisted me in reconstructing my complex itin. Someone chuckled observing that I am on a MR. Nonetheless they loved to help. It got through to UA that every $ helps.
My only lesson is - be humble. If you need help tell them so. Appeal to their kindliness for assistance. They will all respond in kind.
Happy travels.
Old Dec 2, 09, 9:58 am

Programs: UA Plat 1MM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by denverhockeyguy View Post
There are some forum discussions on it.
To wit:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-question.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l-eqm-eqs.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...does-work.html

A thread title search for "original routing" will turn up quite a few others.
Old Dec 2, 09, 10:10 am

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
Originally Posted by FortFun View Post
Thanks for the links; I'm operating a bit sub par due to getting up early for a delayed flight and trying to use FT on an iPhone. Plus the added urgency due to FUD (fear uncertainty and doubt) now setting in. And of course the absurdity of belief that somehow my situation is unique. Yeah like so unique it's now featured in a movie with George Clooney.

OK, so I'm back at work now at a regular computer (much easier to interface with FT than using an iPhone!). I followed through all the links and was surprised at how old most of the information is. Not that old, really... maybe a year or so... but the inference in most of the posts was that we're looking at a moving target (the willingness of UA to give original routing credit), so my question is... where are we now?

Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
In this forum thread that has to do with kudos for UA, last week, I have a post on how RCC in ORD and reservation desk assisted me in reconstructing my complex itin. Someone chuckled observing that I am on a MR. Nonetheless they loved to help. It got through to UA that every $ helps.
My only lesson is - be humble. If you need help tell them so. Appeal to their kindliness for assistance. They will all respond in kind.
Happy travels.
As experienced as anyone here? Hardly! But humble and nice I can manage. Thanks for the info on your experienced. Would this be a good time for an RCC day pass, just in case? I'm thinking so!! Wonder if just one will be enough?? (I think you need one per RCC but likely SBA and BUR don't have one. More to look up while waiting on the plane for clearance to take off from SFO!

(your post has brought home the good side to adversity. Being nice and allowing others to help you. Like you, I believe most everyone would like to help you on your journey through not just airports but life in general. A smile and a bit of sincere empathy for what others (be they FAs or GAs or people in general) helps to make the world just a ltyle bit nicer place for all. Thanks for the wake-up in that regard!)

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 2, 09 at 10:51 pm Reason: merge
Old Dec 2, 09, 10:25 am

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by denverhockeyguy View Post
For irrops, yes. If its there fault, yes. I'm not sure about weather delays, but you should be OK if you 'fall behind' and skip a leg to catch up. Just remember to ask for "original routing credit". There are some forum discussions on it.
IME, it's a coin toss as to whether you get original routing credit for wx-related irrops. Mx, you definitely get what you want, but wx is another story.

Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
Happy travels.
Good advice ^

When things head south, it really depends on who you're dealing with. Some UA folks are more than happy to accommodate; others aren't. I've been given longer routings -- with coupons added -- just for asking. On the other hand, I've been told at other times no dice on wx-induced reroutes.

To be honest, I understand this: Flying a multi-segment MR in the winter is just begging for trouble. My rule is, if I really must have all the EQMs of a given trip, then I don't book a zillion segments in the winter. It's too dicey.

Good luck, OP!
Old Dec 2, 09, 10:31 am

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
By the way Mike, congratulations on moving up from a lowly 2P to 1P!!
Old Dec 2, 09, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
UA is usually willing to re-route me in a manner of my choosing after a VDB or irr-ops.

In fact, I got a laugh last time I was at IAD when a CS agent said, "Honey, you're a 1K and you can do whatever you want!"

If only that were true...
Old Dec 2, 09, 10:51 am

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
2p last month, 1p now, 1k shortly, 2p too soon!

Originally Posted by DTW-HomeyFour View Post
By the way Mike, congratulations on moving up from a lowly 2P to 1P!!
Thanks! I'm kinda like the stock market. If itin goes through next week I'll have had a brief meteoric rise from 2p to 1k this past month then a serious crash & burn back to 2p for 2011.
Old Dec 2, 09, 11:21 am

You should have no problems Mike. If irrops occur, just take the quickest path back home and apply for original routing credit. Your chances of receiving ORC is much higher than a coin toss IMO.
Old Dec 2, 09, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Mike,

The folks at the customer service desk seem to take to a challenge. An ORD angel worked wonders for me in October. This was on 2 itins. A smile and a good attitude will go a long way.

Please click the link below.
Old Dec 2, 09, 1:47 pm

Question question about re-booking by UA, mileage

Tonight I'm flying PHX-DEN-PDX. An Easy Update just informed me that my first flight is 30 minutes late, which will make my connection in Denver [U]very[U] tight.

Two questions:
1) My Intineraries is now showing my original flights, and also an Alaska Airlines direct flight. Does this mean UA has booked me on that other flight already? I didn't realize they would do such a thing.

2) It is extremely important that I receive the mileage from PHX-DEN-PDX, and that I get DEQM for it. My travel is planned out for the year and I will make 1K by 200 miles. If I take the Alaska flight do I have any chance of getting not only the original booking mileage, but also the DEQM?

Thanks!
Old Dec 2, 09, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Yes and yes! They have rebooked you on Alaska and if you take the Alaska flight you can get your original mileage credit by contacting MP customer service afterwards. In fact you can even double dip and earn Alaska miles if you have an account with them.
Old Dec 2, 09, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by anc-ord772 View Post
You should have no problems Mike. If irrops occur, just take the quickest path back home and apply for original routing credit. Your chances of receiving ORC is much higher than a coin toss IMO.
Not worried about the routing back home... that's a very easy IAD-LAS-LAX-SFO. Rarely would we see fog in the evening at SFO, especially with a long-range forecast that shows light rain.

It's the outbound segments that have me concerned. SJC-SBA-SFO-BUR-DEN-IAD. Two possible choke points there-

#1: SFO. Bad weather in the morning at SFO can wreck things through the middle of the day. I'm depending upon the SBA-SFO flight not having a long delay getting in, and the SFO-BUR plane, if weather is an issue, might be significantly delayed getting into SFO from wherever it comes from.

#2: DEN. Long range forecast was previously clear & cold, now shows "few snow showers" and a range of 26-34F. At least it's a 777, so probably less prone to issues than smaller planes.

The tough part will be figuring out whether to try a pre-emptive strategy if things look potentially bad, or ride it out as far as I can. The danger is losing the extra miles from those short segments. It's 100% clear that I cannot know how UA is going to view the miles on the original itin. Reading the threads referenced in prior messages, UA generally gave in, but not willingly.

If this were a true MR with no other redeeming value, no problem, accept that it might take an extra day to get into IAD. But if I could spend about 7 hours at IAD, it would be invaluable from a business standpoint. There's a retail bicycle shop that I can visit there from which I could learn a lot.
Old Dec 2, 09, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky View Post
Would this be a good time for an RCC day pass, just in case? I'm thinking so!! Wonder if just one will be enough?? (I think you need one per RCC but likely SBA and BUR don't have one.
I find having RCC access to be invaluable for irrops handling, however, note that it's a one-time pass, not day pass, so you'd need one for each RCC you wanted to enter. Also, while I've had mostly good experiences in the SFO RCCs, reports seem mixed on the DEN RCCs (can't point to any examples, but they can't be worse than the IAD RCCs). At the very least, make sure that 1pvoice is on your cell phone speed dial and you're ready to ask for protection on another routing at the first hint of trouble.
Old Dec 2, 09, 3:53 pm

Programs: 1K, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver, Priority Club Gold
I had a simple IAD-TPA-IAD MR (I was just short of 1K) last December in which the outbound flight was cancelled and the rescheduled flights would not allow me to do it in one day. When I called customer service and explained that I really did not necessarily need to go to Tampa for my MR, she laughed and dilligently looked for different cities in which I could both use my ticket and get home on the same day. I ended up flying to Orlando and she put me in Y class so I got the 1.5X bonus.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: