Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2011, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I was recently denied, after numerous separate requests, original routing credit for the following: my initial flight was canceled and the flights I was rebooked on were the last of the night. The first of these two flights was delayed to the point that I would misconnect and not make the second flight. There were no available seats on any airline to my destination or any of the 4 other airports within 75 miles (this was 12/30/10, a few days after the east coast blizzard) until the day of my scheduled return (of course the outbound would have arrived after my scheduled return). I canceled the trip as one in vain but the agents I spoke with said I should request original routing credit.

The response I keep getting is that because I did not fly any segments at all, no credit can be given.

I guess YMMV....
Old Jan 12, 2011, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Peatisback
I was recently denied, after numerous separate requests, original routing credit for the following: my initial flight was canceled and the flights I was rebooked on were the last of the night. The first of these two flights was delayed to the point that I would misconnect and not make the second flight. There were no available seats on any airline to my destination or any of the 4 other airports within 75 miles (this was 12/30/10, a few days after the east coast blizzard) until the day of my scheduled return (of course the outbound would have arrived after my scheduled return). I canceled the trip as one in vain but the agents I spoke with said I should request original routing credit.

The response I keep getting is that because I did not fly any segments at all, no credit can be given.

I guess YMMV....
Did you get a refund on the ticket? If you got your money back, I would not expect the miles.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Shaitani
During this particular trip, I was flying with US Airways, and earning miles for United Mileage Plus. On the return trip, I was involuntarily rerouted on American Airlines. Now I'd like to receive Original Routing Credit on my United Mileage Plus account.

...Today I called the United Mileage Plus customer service, and told the person my situation and requested Original Routing Credit. After some confusion, she told me that she had "entered my original routing miles into the system and it would take 30 to 60 days to appear on my account". This number of days seems way too high.
Hello and welcome to FT! I don't have any experience with your situation as it sound complicated asking for UA credit on a US flight you never took. Perhaps someone else has experience with this and can chime in.

I can tell you in my experience requesting original routing credit, the miles posted immediately since they were UA flights and it did not take 30-60 days. However, in your situation, I can see where it might take 30-60 days for UA to verify the facts with US in order to post the miles.

Also, remember that you can claim miles with American Airlines because you took that flight with them. Lots of other people have done this kind of "double-dipping" before.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:25 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by denverhockeyguy
Did you get a refund on the ticket? If you got your money back, I would not expect the miles.
After my third request for original routing credit MP CS said they would give me a refund. Unfortunately it was only taxes as I had used an e-cert for the base fare.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 7:15 am

I had a situation like this recently. The first mileage plus agent was telling me I need to fax in the boarding passes for the flights I took with other carrier to reach my final destination and won't do anything untill they get it. I was a little surprised as I never had to do that before as a 1K. I called again and got someone else in a much accomodating mood. She just did it for me and my wife right away. On top of it, one of the segmants credit was given in Y class

Just try calling again and give your cancellation story and how it caused you pain before you even ask for the original routing credit.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 9:17 pm

An update on my situation

After faxing the Dividend Miles people at US Airways twice, they responded a couple days later with the following dreadful message:
"Thank you for contacting US Airways.

To receive US Airways or Star Alliance Mileage mileage credit in your
Mileage Plus account, you need to contact United Airlines directly.
When it comes to being rescheduled on other airlines, the guidelines for
obtaining miles is as follows:

You were scheduled to fly on US Airways flights and wanted miles to go
to your Mileage Plus account. If there was no flight interruption,
these miles would have gone to your Mileage Plus account.

However, you were rescheduled on American Airlines which is not a member
of the Star Alliance Network. The only way you can earn miles would be
if you were a member of our Dividend Miles program. Because we were
the operating carrier, we would give you credit for your original US
Airways flights in your Dividend Miles account. We cannot, however,
give you credit in your Mileage Plus account. United was not the
operating carrier and will not accept requests for miles for non partner
airlines.

Please contact United Airlines directly for any additional questions.

For more information,visit the United Airlines Mileage Plus membership
guide."
I responded to this text-based middle finger by trying to gently remind them that I am requesting original routing credit, and that if I was involuntarily rerouted by US Airways, it is their responsibility to give me the original miles and not United's. I received the following kiss of death as a final response:
"Thank you for contacting US Airways.

To credit US Airways flight activity in your United frequent flyer
account, please contact United to verify the flights are valid for
credit in their program. This means submitting all documentation to
United.

Thank you for being a member of our Dividend Miles program. We look
forward to assisting you with any future needs."
Logically speaking, I believe I am 100% correct in believing that US Airways caused this mishap, and is therefore responsible for giving me my original miles. If you're thinking it, I've already contacted United and I got an "I've entered it in, and it will take up to 60 days for processing" response, which I believe to actually be a method of getting rid of me without dealing with my problem.

Can anyone tell me what's going on here? Or at least a reasonable next step?

Just something I have to get off my chest: As my first frequent flying experience, this unending ordeal has me questioning whether any of this is worth the trouble. I don't want to be faxing, emailing, calling, being put on hold, being hassled, and being sent back and forth between companies for weeks and weeks, every time I am rerouted. Rerouting appears to be a common occurrence between carriers, and I don't want it to ruin my trips and cause frustration every single time. I simply don't want to have to worry about whether or not a tiny change in itinerary is going to invalidate my miles. Is there anything I should do next time to guarantee that I am awarded my miles? Should I be refusing reroutes at the expense of hurting my arrival times?

I apologize in advance for this rambling of a post, I'm just sitting here pulling my hair out at how silly this all is.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I missed your backstory, but if you want credit in UA MP you need to contact UA MP, not the operating airline.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:47 am

Programs: AA, FB, UA
Swiss flight cancelled for weather--United ORC

So my Swiss flight was cancelled because of weather, and I was rerouted on a non-star carrier. I asked United for original routing credit (I'd even bought a more expensive fare class to be eligible for MP miles) and they sent the following response:

"Mileage Plus credit cannot be awarded when a flight is canceled due to situations that cannot be controlled, such as weather or airport conditions. Our records indicate that your flight was canceled due to weather conditions. I am sorry for any inconvenience caused by the cancellation and appreciate your understanding."

Is this correct? It seems much stingier than my experience on AA and Delta..
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:53 am

Programs: UA MP 1K
If you paid UA, you should get mileage credit. Call and ask to speak to a supervisor. Keep your BPs.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 11:15 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Different kind of question here.

I have a SA ticket that includes a UA IAD-EWR segment. Then I fly EWR-LAS-IAH-MCI on CO. Both airlines have a weather waiver (EWR) for Thursday when I'm flying. Can I call CO, have them reroute me IAD-IAH-MCI instead, and still claim ORC for IAD-EWR-LAS-IAH-MCI?

Chris
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA; Delta; US Air; BA Executive Club
Just called for Original Routing Credit on a flight I missed due to a slight weather delay. Originally scheduled for JFK-LAX-SBA-SFO and was switched over to JFK-LAX-SFO because my JFK-LAX flight arrived after my LAX-SBA flight departed. Called up the 1P line for MP, got a very helpful agent, she looked up the reservation, typed a few keystrokes and everything was put in place for original credit. It appeared within seconds of my call in my activity on .bomb. Very good job UA.^
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:11 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: UA 1K, RCC; AA EXP; HH Diamond; CC Gold
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
Different kind of question here.

I have a SA ticket that includes a UA IAD-EWR segment. Then I fly EWR-LAS-IAH-MCI on CO. Both airlines have a weather waiver (EWR) for Thursday when I'm flying. Can I call CO, have them reroute me IAD-IAH-MCI instead, and still claim ORC for IAD-EWR-LAS-IAH-MCI?

Chris
SA, as in space available?
Old Feb 6, 2011, 12:04 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by UNITED863
SA, as in space available?
No, SA as in South African Airways.

Anyway, ended up flying IAD-EWR-MCI since IAH weather struck, but MP is giving me the runaround trying to get the ORC. Calling 3rd agent now.

Chris
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA
Purchased the ticket at UA, operated by US, re-booked to AA, and get OMC to UA

I purchased the ticket from united.com: SFO-CLT-MIA, and the flights were operated by US Airways. However, I was not a member of Dividend Miles program, and whenever I fly US airways, I put miles into MP account.

UA 1792 (operated by US Airways) was delayed so I wasn’t able to catch the last flight out of CLT to MIA, and US Airways re-booked me to American Airlines from SFO-LAX-MIX.

After returning home, I faxed MP by including both US Airways and AA boarding passes, and requesting to get original routing credit for UA 1792 and UA 2337 to my Mileage Plus account.

Today received the email:

MileagePlus-1P1KGS> Mileage PlusR Acknowledgment and Confirmation (Reference:XXXXXX)

"This email confirms that the Mileage Plus Service Center received your request for partner retro-credit. It has been approved and the miles have been credited to your account.

You will be able to view updates to your Mileage Plus account in your “My Mileage Plus” at http://www.mymileageplus.com.

It is our pleasure to assist you."

And the miles were there. ^
Old Feb 24, 2011, 8:13 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
I have had 100% success getting original routing credit (even for WX changes) by FAXING MPCS, write a letter (include all relevant BP's and the original itinerary).

Fax number can be found in the FAQ page.
Does anyone know the fax number? I can't seem to find it and I looked in this spot.

Last edited by Renard; Feb 24, 2011 at 8:21 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.