Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2010, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Originally Posted by emcee
Booked MCI-DEN-LAX-SYD on 7/30 and mis-connected in LAX due to weather in DEN (UA701 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ay-7-30-a.html).

My original itinerary was all booked on United flying United metal. Due to the mis-connect in LAX, I was rerouted/protected on Air New Zealand flights through Aucland (NZ5 and NZ103).

I am certain that I will get 100% points credit for my flights, but am I entitled to my original 100% bonus credit for being 1K.

I understand that there is not bonus credit for booking *A flights are part of your original booking, but this was a protected re-route. Thoughts or experiences? Thanks. MC
This happened to me - I just called MP and they posted it as if I had flown on the UA flights. NZ does got get the 100% bonus or credits towards cr1's etc
Old Sep 10, 2010, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by Benny8444
I believe since the delay was weather you wont qualify for the credit.

You would only get the credit if the change was due to something in UAs control.
The couple of times this has happened to me I have had no trouble getting original credit. As with so many other things, the solution is say "thank you", hang up, and call again. Repeat until you get the correct answer.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:16 pm

Programs: Platinum
A follow-up to my problem... seems like United came through today and gave my family the original mileage credit. The FT mantra of call and call again, helped, I think. I'm not sure if the Facebook post or Twitter post helped things along. Anyway, when I told my youngest (who made 2p) he now can sit in E+ for free, he started dancing, telling us "it's the E+ leg room dance!"
Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS
Rerouting

We have an upcoming family trip (all 3 of us are 1K's) in December SFO-NRT-TPE roundtrip. Our SWU's have all cleared.

We were thinking of making a change:

Outbound SFO-NRT-SIN and then still keep the return leg TPE-NRT-SFO.

If we make this change, will we lose our already confirmed upgrades ? Do they have to re-ticket the whole itinerary?

Or can I ask them to cancel just the NRT-TPE segment and then buy a separate NRT-SIN to keep the original ticket and upgrades in place?
Old Sep 12, 2010, 9:44 am

Programs: AAexp, UA*G, HY LT Globalist, FB Plat, Centurion
Originally Posted by Benny8444
I believe since the delay was weather you wont qualify for the credit.

You would only get the credit if the change was due to something in UAs control.
Since you gave up a stop also remember to call the refunds department and ask them to credit any applicable taxes, passenger facility charges, etc. My assistant always does that for me when this happens...
Old Sep 26, 2010, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Had my first two ORC experiences this week. In both directions of my trip I wound up getting involuntarily rerouted directly SFO-DEN and DEN-SFO (originally booked SFO-ONT-DEN, DEN-LAX-SFO) due to weather and mechanical delays, respectively.

Called MP yesterday; the agent was happy to wipe out the posted SFO-DEN-SFO segments and replace them with SFO-ONT-DEN-LAX-SFO. Couldn't have been easier. ^
Old Oct 6, 2010, 8:57 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rsherwoo
I have heard on Flyertalk that United will give you credit for the original routing when they bump you and reroute. Does anyone know if they also give you EQM's and lifetime miles equivalent to the original routing in this case?

Also, one other question. If you fly on a Star Alliance code share, but on United metal, do you get United lifetime miles?
I see in earlier posts that the consenus is that you can get original routing credit but I don't see an answer about lifetime miles.

I was rerouted due to VDB from UA to LH and didn't get miles. Do I have a case for Lifetime miles?

Thanks
Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:21 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by neo_781
I see in earlier posts that the consenus is that you can get original routing credit but I don't see an answer about lifetime miles.

I was rerouted due to VDB from UA to LH and didn't get miles. Do I have a case for Lifetime miles?

Thanks
Did you put in and receive the original routing credit?

IME, when you get the original routing credit, the lifetime miles adjust accordingly. In almost all of my cases, it's meant staying on UA metal, just different mileage totals, so I'm not sure given the situation of UA to LH--but I would expect that once they change the mileage posting to the original routing (on UA), all of your counts will update accordingly (RDM, EQM, and lifetime).

YMMV.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by exerda
Did you put in and receive the original routing credit?

IME, when you get the original routing credit, the lifetime miles adjust accordingly. In almost all of my cases, it's meant staying on UA metal, just different mileage totals, so I'm not sure given the situation of UA to LH--but I would expect that once they change the mileage posting to the original routing (on UA), all of your counts will update accordingly (RDM, EQM, and lifetime).

YMMV.
Thanks for your answer .. another question .. I know it is an extremely personal decision but do you think it would be worth getting the original credit even if it for less miles? My original routing was a nonstop to a closer destination (really only a couple hundred miles + the extra 500 mile segment).

To help with the decision:

I am at about 810,000 lifetime, already smashed the 1K mark and very closely working towards 150k. This was a Full J ticket so also Full Fare Mileage is in play (currently at 34k for the year).

Am I too focused on the million mile status especially since we don't know the future of it? I'm not too worried about less than the 1000 RDM's though.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:49 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by neo_781
Thanks for your answer .. another question .. I know it is an extremely personal decision but do you think it would be worth getting the original credit even if it for less miles? My original routing was a nonstop to a closer destination (really only a couple hundred miles + the extra 500 mile segment).

To help with the decision:

I am at about 810,000 lifetime, already smashed the 1K mark and very closely working towards 150k. This was a Full J ticket so also Full Fare Mileage is in play (currently at 34k for the year).

Am I too focused on the million mile status especially since we don't know the future of it? I'm not too worried about less than the 1000 RDM's though.
It depends.

Personally, I'd want to be closer to MM status, and unless the few hundred less miles for the year's EQM totals will cost you the 150k mark, I'd do it.

Technically, we don't know what the future benefits of MM will bring once NonePass and MP are merged, but the merger FAQs on United.com do state that MM isn't going away:

Originally Posted by United.com
Q. What will happen to my Million Miler Program lifetime status and Continental Infinite Elite status benefits? Will I continue to receive them in the future?

A. Yes, you will continue to receive your benefits as you always have. Lifetime elite benefits will continue in the single, combined program, which will be announced by the end of 2011.

Q. If I'm a Million Miler on United or Continental, what happens to my status and benefits? Will my program change?

A. The Million Miler program for both airlines will remain the same for now, and you will continue to receive your benefits as you always have. Over the next year, we will be working to align the Million Miler programs of both airlines into one common program which continues to recognize your long-time loyalty and commitment.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Plat
Here's a recent datapoint...

Booked A-B-C; B-C was canceled due to weather. The only alternative offered was to drive to a different airport to take D-C many hours later. Given this alternative, I decided to fly A-B as scheduled and drive to C, since the two are fairly close together, I would get there a lot earlier and I didn't want to drive to a different airport to take a small plane on a slightly longer flight.

I've been denied via e-mail and twice when calling MP to try and get ORC...each time the typical "you can't get credit since you didn't actually fly the second flight." Never mind the fact that there was no way I could physically fly the second flight. Bummer. Faxed in the info as well, but haven't heard anything yet. At least I got an appreciation cert out of this so I can make up for the missing segment with a MR
Old Nov 6, 2010, 2:04 pm

Programs: NON ELITE
Question Can I get UA miles when there is a mechanical problem?

I booked UA flight out to NRT a few weeks ago. When I got to the airport, they said there was an machenical problem, so they put me on a Japan Airline flight instead. Can I get UA miles in this situation? I don't care for JAL miles because I am not JAL member anyway.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 6, 2010 at 2:08 pm Reason: moved into related thread
Old Nov 6, 2010, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GPS123
I booked UA flight out to NRT a few weeks ago. When I got to the airport, they said there was an machenical problem, so they put me on a Japan Airline flight instead. Can I get UA miles in this situation? I don't care for JAL miles because I am not JAL member anyway.
Yes. Call and ask (and you can also double dip in this scenario).
Old Nov 11, 2010, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)
Do you get missing MP credit for US/CO?

I will have a MR on US in Jan 2011.

When I was rerouted on UA due to weather delay, I was able to get the MP credits based on the orignal routing.

What about if I travel on US with UA MP number? If there is a rerouting due to delay, will I get UA EQM and miles? Should I contact US or UA?

Last time, my CO flight was delayed and I took DL instead. I emailed CO to get UA miles. They offered my some compensation (CO voucher) and no UA miles.

Thanks.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 1:39 pm

Maybe I missed it in this thread, but what should you do when there is a schedule change that invalidates a same-day turn MR?

Cashing in on the WN match, I booked two of the same exact MRs in January for BOI-DEN-SEA-DEN-BOI for $103 each. I recently received a message from UA of a schedule change. When I looked at my itineraries, the DEN-SEA legs on both MRs had been rescheduled to a new flight (possibly because of a cancellation) that departs 30 minutes before I get into DEN. I could take a later DEN-SEA flight, but this will result in missing the return connections. As far as I can tell, there is no longer any way to fly this trip same day on *A.

I haven't called into UA yet to acknowledge the change becuase I thought I ought to know what my options are. I could get a refund, but I'd prefer not to since these were the cheapest MRs I've ever seen out of BOI (3.07 cpm). Can I get original routing credit if I reschedule to BOI-DEN-SEA-SFO-BOI (a potentially viable route) and how would I guarantee receiving ORC. Or, as another option, does the trip in vain rule come into effect and if so what would that entitle me to? Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.