Upgraded my extra seat

Old Jan 29, 2017, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, Turkish
Upgraded my extra seat

We had tickets TPA IAD . DW is disabled so we bought 3 seats in coach to have the whole row. They were very cheap, 1/5 price of f. So I had the middle as an extra seat. DW and I are both PLat
All three seats are now upgraded to First.

I am not a pig on the seat, but I want the baggage allowance. So my thought is to check in and then at the gate give the empty seat information to the gate agent.
Any thoughts? Honestly trying to do the right thing.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by morelegroom
We had tickets TPA IAD . DW is disabled so we bought 3 seats in coach to have the whole row. They were very cheap, 1/5 price of f. So I had the middle as an extra seat. DW and I are both PLat

I am not a pig on the seat, but I want the baggage allowance. So my thought is to check in and then at the gate give the empty seat information to the gate agent.
That’s a tough one.

I’d be inclined to not bring it up, bringing attention to any situation, even an innocent one like yours, can lead to a hold up, especially if the GA mis-interprets your story or doesn’t understand you.

Maybe you will get lucky and they will ask for volunteers, and you can volunteer your ticket in exchange for a travel voucher.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
How do you plan on 2 people scanning 3 BP anyway?
Old Jan 29, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
I agree with Hipplewm and would not bring it up.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
At the gate, I would let the GA know and ask them to offer it to a uniform military person (UA lets them board first). I do not think you are going to confuse the GA as I am sure they will understand about purchasing the extra seat for disabled passenger for the upgrade. I think you do need to let the GA know as they are going to work out someone did not take the third seat - the manifest will not tie.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Just curious, did you buy the extra seat like a POS would have bought one? If so, does the extra seat get a bag allowance to begin with?

I'm asking this honestly, I have no idea.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 9:53 pm

How are you going to check into 3 seats with two people. Ive never done it do I don't know how it works.

Why don't you just get a refund for the third ticket. You'd get a flight credit for the amount of the ticket minus $150 change fee. And then just pay for any extra bags you have. Certainly that's the most cost effective thing to do.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 10:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Just curious, did you buy the extra seat like a POS would have bought one? If so, does the extra seat get a bag allowance to begin with?

I'm asking this honestly, I have no idea.
Extraseat earns RDMs (no PQMS) and baggage allowance. For more see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-flights.html
Old Jan 29, 2017, 10:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
At the gate, I would let the GA know and ask them to offer it to a uniform military person (UA lets them board first). I do not think you are going to confuse the GA as I am sure they will understand about purchasing the extra seat for disabled passenger for the upgrade. I think you do need to let the GA know as they are going to work out someone did not take the third seat - the manifest will not tie.
Why in the world should they do that?

OP: how did you buy the extra seat? Did you follow the instructions posted on FT, or did you just put a fake first name in the third seat? If the former, you might have a chance at getting money back if you call reservations and they can clearly see how the extra seat is booked correctly, but if you did this on your own and used a fake first name for the 3rd seat, it would have been a no-show at check-in and the money lost without having a senior agent re-issue that ticket correctly with your last name and the correct designator to indicate it's an extra seat. As it stands now, with the seat upgraded to first and no longer needed for space, if there is no real person traveling with that name and it's not booked correctly as an extra seat, the money is likely lost as any residual value from that ticket would need to be re-used by that same passenger name and will no-show when the person with that name does not check-in - so the F seat will correctly go to the next person on the upgrade list.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 3:41 am
Original Poster

It is a completely legitimate "extra seat" purchased directly from United on the phone and listed as "extra seat" in the reservation it is listed as morelegroom exst

The original one way ticket cost $64 Given a platinum baggage allowance, it's like winning the lottery
Old Jan 30, 2017, 3:51 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
I can't imagine traveling with 9 bags!
Old Jan 30, 2017, 4:24 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by trm2
I can't imagine traveling with 9 bags!
Nine bags are nothing.

I taveled with twice that ... alone.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by weero
Nine bags are nothing.

I taveled with twice that ... alone.
Actually its seven. when we have luggage allowances we use small bags that weigh 24 pounds. I bought dw a beach chair in a bag to go go home
Old Jan 30, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
It is a completely legitimate "extra seat" purchased directly from United on the phone and listed as "extra seat" in the reservation it is listed as morelegroom exst

The original one way ticket cost $64 Given a platinum baggage allowance, it's like winning the lottery
^

There are some people on flights who it would be nice if they purchased an extra seat for the "overflow" effect into the seating area of other passengers.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 30, 2017 at 11:02 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Jan 30, 2017, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

OK, well given the low fare I don't think you'll get anything back - but given it's linked to your PNR, the seat will show as occupied when you check-in and when you board, so you can ask for a supervisor to release it to the next customer on the upgrade list. I would avoid talking to a non-management GA about the seat as advised upthread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.