Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners)-when is it released? Ever any business?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2017, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Years ago, there was a pattern of release award space at begin-of-schedule, some 330+ before travel. That is not longer the default situation. There may be some released at that time and a few weeks later but just as common for airlines to wait to see how the flight is selling versus historical data. Then if sales are falling behind, they may release some seats. If sold seats are on historical trends or better, the likelihood of awards space is less. Some airlines are more sophisticated than others and some like UA for their flights tend to hold onto space until closer to departure.

So in summary, predictable patterns are few and award space is getting harder to find.

Business award space for some routes can be nearly impossible to find and generally is never easy. BUT it can happen with some flexibility and perseverance.

A couple of suggestions for finding space
== Avoid peak travel periods -- seasons, days --- midweek tends to be better than weekends, be flexiable -- fixed dates are a killer
== Look early, look late, look all the time
== Partner space tends to be more available than UA space for international flights
== For those not starting at a hub, first look for "gateway" non-stop space to Europe or Asia. Find the long haul flight possibilities first and then build from there (or separate ticket to the gateway -- with plenty of buffer time)

What does "Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight" mean?

What time (and time zone), how many days out does UA release awards for booking?

Previous Thread -- United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]
Print Wikipost

UA Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners)-when is it released? Ever any business?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2024, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by cfischer
I agree it is a bit hit and miss with routes and dates, but overall there is a lot of I/IN around right now
Any particular routes or timeframes you're seeing it?
Old Mar 7, 2024, 2:31 am

Programs: AA Gold
I'm seeing tons of XN IN even I open across different dates for a domestic route but X is still at 0

eg. P9 PZ2 I1 G9 XN9 X0 like whyy smh

even the early morning leveling on the day of departure has X0 on all flights while with XN9 on most flights
Old Mar 7, 2024, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MarkP24
Any particular routes or timeframes you're seeing it?
All over the place. We are flying TCON to YVR in October and literally 80% of the days there was IN available. MEL/SYD has a ton right now. Booked ZRH recently. LHR options.
if you need I, that is definitely more limited
Old Mar 7, 2024, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
All over the place. We are flying TCON to YVR in October and literally 80% of the days there was IN available. MEL/SYD has a ton right now. Booked ZRH recently. LHR options.
if you need I, that is definitely more limited
I just need IN routing to Asia (ideally from the East Coast) in November or December.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MarkP24
I just need IN routing to Asia (ideally from the East Coast) in November or December.
that’s far out. That’ll be tough. Don’t think UA (or anyone) can predict what demand then will look like. Asia is a pretty wide region too … did you check via Europe? I am sure there are days where you can get 1 seat, I can almost guarantee it.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 7:07 pm

that’s far out. That’ll be tough. Don’t think UA (or anyone) can predict what demand then will look like. Asia is a pretty wide region too … did you check via Europe? I am sure there are days where you can get 1 seat, I can almost guarantee it.
I have checked via Europe. In general, in my experience, flights to Asia seem to be harder to find availability than in the past.
susiesan likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
what’s recent history been for TK releasing savers?
Old Mar 23, 2024, 9:36 pm

Is there a pattern these days to when Lufthansa group airlines are opening award space in J to United? I have a trip booked from the west coast to Italy in Sept/Oct with some non-ideal itineraries (2 stops), but have had good experiences on both Swiss and Austrian in the past. I read somewhere that they're releasing J 85 days in advance, but I'm not sure how reliable / consistent that has been.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 8:16 am

United Last Minute Polaris (I) Awards

Hi all-- I have a flight coming up from IAD-CPT booked with a saver economy award. I've been stalking the flight for a while now and I've been noticing that ever since the route has recently been upgraded to a 77W, there seem to be saver (I) 80k awards closer in towards departure (sometimes the day of) with 2-3 seats at that level available. Polaris seems to be 3/4 full (based off of the seat map) with the remaining seats being ~2/3 full. It's a few days until departure and I was wondering if anyone might have any insight or personal experiences relating to saver awards coming available-- if one were to I'd refund the my economy award and immediately rebook in Polaris. Thanks so much for any help (first post, sorry if it's in the wrong place/format)!
Old Apr 9, 2024, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by travelingposer
if one were to I'd refund the my economy award and immediately rebook in Polaris.
It's really luck of the draw whether UA will open I inventory (business saver) on a given flight. If they do, you can just change the award for the points difference - no need to cancel and rebook.
Originally Posted by travelingposer
Thanks so much for any help (first post, sorry if it's in the wrong place/format)!
Welcome to FT!
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.