Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners)-when is it released? Ever any business?

UA Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners)-when is it released? Ever any business?

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 11, 19, 5:03 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Years ago, there was a pattern of release award space at begin-of-schedule, some 330+ before travel. That is not longer the default situation. There may be some released at that time and a few weeks later but just as common for airlines to wait to see how the flight is selling versus historical data. Then if sales are falling behind, they may release some seats. If sold seats are on historical trends or better, the likelihood of awards space is less. Some airlines are more sophisticated than others and some like UA for their flights tend to hold onto space until closer to departure.

So in summary, predictable patterns are few and award space is getting harder to find.

Business award space for some routes can be nearly impossible to find and generally is never easy. BUT it can happen with some flexibility and perseverance.

A couple of suggestions for finding space
== Avoid peak travel periods -- seasons, days --- midweek tends to be better than weekends, be flexiable -- fixed dates are a killer
== Look early, look late, look all the time
== Partner space tends to be more available than UA space for international flights
== For those not starting at a hub, first look for "gateway" non-stop space to Europe or Asia. Find the long haul flight possibilities first and then build from there (or separate ticket to the gateway -- with plenty of buffer time)

What does "Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight" mean?

What time (and time zone), how many days out does UA release awards for booking?

Previous Thread -- United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 4, 19, 12:08 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton HHonors Silver
Iím off to Thailand in 3 weeks. Booked UA P+ PDX-SFO-HKG (return already GPU upgraded to Polaris).

I got Business Saver awards on TG for HKG-BKK both directions for the most convenient times. 50K miles for flights that would have cost me $750. Not bad at all (right on the 1.5 mile per cent redemption).
Old Jul 4, 19, 12:19 am

Programs: United Miles
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
European airport depature taxes, you fine that for UK, France, Germany, ....

Not difference between XN and X in mileage needed, just a difference who has access. XN is for elites and Chase MP banded, X is for everyone
If X is available, XN is available.
Correct. What I meant is I have Chase MP, and usually see some XN only fares after logging in, (they show to me as "available to you as a Chase MP cardholder....etc."). I haven't seen any of those today, saw several yesterday.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 4, 19 at 12:39 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Jul 4, 19, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Plat Amb
Not surprisingly I am now starting to see "anytime" award inventory for next summer but the prices are higher than they used to be (matching the ridiculous fares that are loaded when each day is released). Not finding any seats at the old "saver award" prices but admittedly I am only looking at a couple of routes. Welcome to the new MP.
Old Jul 4, 19, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I noticed that too... The redemption rates are through the roof now without the cap, but there is nothing cheaper than before. This devaluation is pretty bad. I saw sfo-ewr one way for 120k in biz on a bunch of dates
Old Jul 4, 19, 9:17 pm

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Originally Posted by mrt88 View Post
I noticed that too... The redemption rates are through the roof now without the cap, but there is nothing cheaper than before. This devaluation is pretty bad. I saw sfo-ewr one way for 120k in biz on a bunch of dates
Is that a 100% increase in rate?
Old Jul 5, 19, 2:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
Is that a 100% increase in rate?
Yes.
Old Jul 5, 19, 2:52 am

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Yes.
That is a dead canary you just saw.
Boraxo, Kacee and mrt88 like this.
Old Jul 10, 19, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Any experience on booking a LH Miles&More award Ticket and using 1K status to receive free Eco+ seats?

Edit: Overlooked post #65 where it's said to be possible - so I guess it's solved already.
Old Jul 14, 19, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
What's up with j/R inventory on this IAD-BRU flight?

Inventory has been similar for a couple weeks on (at least) the IAD-BRU flight for 7/14. J2 RN9, but the seat map has about 9 empty J seats (yeah yeah seat map does not equal inventory) but only 4 empty R seats.

Seems like United is overselling their PP cabin and underselling their J...?
Old Jul 14, 19, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by raehl311 View Post
Inventory has been similar for a couple weeks on (at least) the IAD-BRU flight for 7/14. J2 RN9, but the seat map has about 9 empty J seats (yeah yeah seat map does not equal inventory) but only 4 empty R seats.

Seems like United is overselling their PP cabin and underselling their J...?
Were you checking the inventory with a connecting flight? I see 9 in every fare class.
Old Jul 14, 19, 4:43 pm

Programs: AC S100K
United Mileage Plus Silver & Air Canada S100K (SA Gold) here. Can I get complimentary Economy Plus seat if I charge the miles to AC?
Old Jul 14, 19, 4:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sskl1998 View Post
Can I get complimentary Economy Plus seat if I charge the miles to AC?
Your MP number must be on the record to get E+ at check-in. If you change your number to AC after that, you may or may not lose the E+ seat.
Old Jul 14, 19, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .4 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre
One-Way: Germany / Scandinavia to SFO

My girlfriend and I booked a one-way into CPH for a NYE vacation, and have yet to book a return flight home. Ideally we would fly from CPH through FRA, back to SFO on Sunday, January 5th, but at this point there is no saver award availability through UA.com. That said, we can be flexible with when we leave, and where we leave from (Copenhagen, Oslo, Stockholm, Frankfurt, Munich, etc...) Is the below strategy a recipe for disaster?

I currently have seat alerts set on ExpertFlyer for non-stop routes like FRA-SFO, MUC-SFO, CPH-SFO, and ZRH-SFO, looking for I and O availability on January 4th and 5th. Obviously if a saver fare comes available between now and then, I'll book it. But I'm planning on that not happening anytime soon, and instead planning on booking sometime within seven (7) days of January 5th. Taking advantage of my 1K status, I can book / cancel / change award flights up to T-24. And my dummy bookings for FRA / MUC-SFO for July 15-22 (as well as in weeks past) indicate that LH will likely have O availability at least to BOS, DEN, ORD or IAD.

Is waiting until we're in Europe and within seven days of our planned return a dumb idea? Or is it likely that we'll find some saver awards for premium TATL tickets, similar to the availability I see today.

Last edited by LRMErnst; Jul 14, 19 at 5:46 pm Reason: Edited for clarity.
Old Jul 15, 19, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by LRMErnst View Post
I currently have seat alerts set on ExpertFlyer for non-stop routes like FRA-SFO, MUC-SFO, CPH-SFO, and ZRH-SFO, looking for I and O availability on January 4th and 5th. Obviously if a saver fare comes available between now and then, I'll book it. But I'm planning on that not happening anytime soon, and instead planning on booking sometime within seven (7) days of January 5th. Taking advantage of my 1K status, I can book / cancel / change award flights up to T-24. And my dummy bookings for FRA / MUC-SFO for July 15-22 (as well as in weeks past) indicate that LH will likely have O availability at least to BOS, DEN, ORD or IAD.

Is waiting until we're in Europe and within seven days of our planned return a dumb idea? Or is it likely that we'll find some saver awards for premium TATL tickets, similar to the availability I see today.
How bad is it if you have to shell out for Standard Awards? Do you have enough miles? Are you going into credit card debt to cover the difference? Can you fly on Tuesday the 7th instead?

This is a gamble that will probably pay out in your favor (i.e. you should be fine), but I wouldn't do it unless you can accept the risk of needing to go with a backup plan.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 15, 19, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by LRMErnst View Post
If you specifically have to travel on the 4th or 5th -- it's probably not a great idea. You might find something -- maybe O space on LH -- but, then again, you might not. Weekends are tough, and the weekend after a holiday means that you're competing not only with passengers who were willing to pay for business class for their vacation, but also business travelers who are starting out the work year by traveling to the US.

At a minimum, I'd have a solid plan B ready to go.
Boraxo likes this.

Search this Thread