Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners)-when is it released? Ever any business?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2017, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Years ago, there was a pattern of release award space at begin-of-schedule, some 330+ before travel. That is not longer the default situation. There may be some released at that time and a few weeks later but just as common for airlines to wait to see how the flight is selling versus historical data. Then if sales are falling behind, they may release some seats. If sold seats are on historical trends or better, the likelihood of awards space is less. Some airlines are more sophisticated than others and some like UA for their flights tend to hold onto space until closer to departure.

So in summary, predictable patterns are few and award space is getting harder to find.

Business award space for some routes can be nearly impossible to find and generally is never easy. BUT it can happen with some flexibility and perseverance.

A couple of suggestions for finding space
== Avoid peak travel periods -- seasons, days --- midweek tends to be better than weekends, be flexiable -- fixed dates are a killer
== Look early, look late, look all the time
== Partner space tends to be more available than UA space for international flights
== For those not starting at a hub, first look for "gateway" non-stop space to Europe or Asia. Find the long haul flight possibilities first and then build from there (or separate ticket to the gateway -- with plenty of buffer time)

What does "Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight" mean?

What time (and time zone), how many days out does UA release awards for booking?

Previous Thread -- United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]
Print Wikipost

UA Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners)-when is it released? Ever any business?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2023, 1:48 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Tilto007
United has very good saver J availability now to LHR but only out of IAD and EWR, You will have to get to those cities on your own dime as connecting cities will cost much more than the 60K they are charging . I booked a few tickets last week
One tactic I have used before on further out dates is to book the tightest allowable connection in economy for the domestic segment. When the connection goes illegal due to a schedule change you can typically ask to be put on the non-stop in overwater cabin segment. Doesn't always work of course.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by chriis219
I was trying to find a business saver award for this summer for 4 people and there are basically zero flights available. Quite disappointing. I tried looking basically everywhere, then use the excursionist perk to get to my final destination (which is still unknown for certain but that can be done later)

I found some flights for saver awards to Zurich in business with Luftansa connecting in Munich. When I go to find a direct flight to Munich, the saver awards are no longer available. Should I call United to book?

Also - would I have better luck using Aeroplan versus the United website?
Adding fuel to the fire, but IAH-EZE (South America) inventory of "saver fare" does not appear to exist any more.

Pre covid, one could always expect some fares to be available months in advance and/or at least have inventory open up the week you want to travel.

No more.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Not at all. It's extremely rare for airlines to add choice award inventory once it's been snapped up.
It's very common for unsold premium cabin space to be released late, especially by UA and LH Group. LH F has traditionally only been released within 14 days of departure. We picked up 2 J seats on LX38 (ZRH-SFO) about a year ago literally the morning of departure. That route is nearly impossible to book awards in advance.

The problem is you can't count on a late release, it's really luck of the draw, and 4 seats is particularly challenging.

Also, the notion that carriers regularly release "choice award inventory" at some date far in advance is simply not true for most carriers any longer, and it is absolutely not true for UA. It's not uncommon for UA to release I/IN only close to departure, if ever.

The main reason to start looking early is that you increase what are not great odds to begin with simply by expanding the period in which award inventory may be released.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chriis219
I really don’t mind a coach seat for 8-10 hours, 16 is a different story haha. We have two kids (1 and 3) so I just want them to sleep all night. Also bringing my mom so that’s the 4th seat
A 3 year old alone in a business seat and a one year old as a lap child could be......interesting. A better strategy might be to get one business seat for the person on primary child care duty once you get there. Then 4 E+ seats in a row where the arm rests can be raised. Even if you got 4 business tickets, good luck on seats.
jsloan and Repooc17 like this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Not at all. It's extremely rare for airlines to add choice award inventory once it's been snapped up.
Nothing could be further from the truth. I can personally attest to this, as I regularly see award availability get better closer to departure.

Inventory simply does not work like you're describing. It is rebalanced all the time. Flights will open award inventory on one day and the close it again the next day without anyone "snapping anything up." In fact, the vast, vast majority of travelers have never booked a flight 11 months ahead of time.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 10:36 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
Inventory simply does not work like you're describing. It is rebalanced all the time. Flights will open award inventory on one day and the close it again the next day without anyone "snapping anything up." In fact, the vast, vast majority of travelers have never booked a flight 11 months ahead of time.
Yep. Reminds me of the posts asking "what time of day 330 days out does UA release award space?" Um, sorry, no.
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 12:09 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yep. Reminds me of the posts asking "what time of day 330 days out does UA release award space?" Um, sorry, no.
Although 10 years ago this is how I did book award travel as seats opened up at the 330 day mark and were quickly snapped up. Unicorn these days.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Tilto007
United has very good saver J availability now to LHR but only out of IAD and EWR, You will have to get to those cities on your own dime as connecting cities will cost much more than the 60K they are charging . I booked a few tickets last week
Yes-it's on the Early Bird from IAD flight which arrives LHR in the evening. I personally prefer this flight as you can get to the hotel and get a good night's sleep. Apparently most people prefer overnight flights to Europe and spending the arrival day as zombies. Unfortunately this flight would require most connecting pax to arrive at IAD the night before the flight since it departs at 8:30am.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by JetAway
Yes-it's on the Early Bird from IAD flight which arrives LHR in the evening. I personally prefer this flight as you can get to the hotel and get a good night's sleep. Apparently most people prefer overnight flights to Europe and spending the arrival day as zombies. Unfortunately this flight would require most connecting pax to arrive at IAD the night before the flight since it departs at 8:30am.
The day flight is mostly O/D. As most pax are price sensitive, spending a night of accomodation in the US for connecting pax, and another one upon arrival would not be in the budget.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Although 10 years ago this is how I did book award travel as seats opened up at the 330 day mark and were quickly snapped up. Unicorn these days.
The practice ended many years ago, but the myth endures.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 7:44 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field
It might be more useful then to refer to this as an outdated assumption rather than a 'myth' - it's not that this never happened in the past, but rather that times have changed.
jcturnbull likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
yet, I booked my 1/2/24 return flight at that mark when IN9 was available ... next day ... all gone. It still pays to check at T-330
EmailKid and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 8:02 am

I would agree. One stop is not that bad at all unless you have a good reason to only fly non stop. I feel like the availability is more important than whether if it is non stop these days.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
yet, I booked my 1/2/24 return flight at that mark when IN9 was available ... next day ... all gone. It still pays to check at T-330
UA's recent fascination with PN9 PZ0 IN9 is admittedly a boon to award availability for Plat/1K/GS members, even as it is frustrating for those of us non-GS members who'd prefer to upgrade. But even this anecdote proves the greater point -- unless you have eight cabinmates -- and I'm guessing you don't -- this inventory wasn't snapped up; it just disappeared. It will return if sales lag projections... and it possibly would have disappeared even if you hadn't booked anything.

So, sure, if you know where you need to be 330 days before you need to be there, it doesn't hurt to check, and book something if you have the miles and see a good deal.
SPN Lifer and ajarora like this.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 9:25 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
It might be more useful then to refer to this as an outdated assumption rather than a 'myth' - it's not that this never happened in the past, but rather that times have changed.
The other problem compounding these outdated assumptions for UA is that some airlines (ANA, anyone?) do release partner-level business flights on a schedule
ZenFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.