Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners)-when is it released? Ever any business?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2017, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Years ago, there was a pattern of release award space at begin-of-schedule, some 330+ before travel. That is not longer the default situation. There may be some released at that time and a few weeks later but just as common for airlines to wait to see how the flight is selling versus historical data. Then if sales are falling behind, they may release some seats. If sold seats are on historical trends or better, the likelihood of awards space is less. Some airlines are more sophisticated than others and some like UA for their flights tend to hold onto space until closer to departure.

So in summary, predictable patterns are few and award space is getting harder to find.

Business award space for some routes can be nearly impossible to find and generally is never easy. BUT it can happen with some flexibility and perseverance.

A couple of suggestions for finding space
== Avoid peak travel periods -- seasons, days --- midweek tends to be better than weekends, be flexiable -- fixed dates are a killer
== Look early, look late, look all the time
== Partner space tends to be more available than UA space for international flights
== For those not starting at a hub, first look for "gateway" non-stop space to Europe or Asia. Find the long haul flight possibilities first and then build from there (or separate ticket to the gateway -- with plenty of buffer time)

What does "Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight" mean?

What time (and time zone), how many days out does UA release awards for booking?

Previous Thread -- United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]
Print Wikipost

UA Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners)-when is it released? Ever any business?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2023, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Rare for the upgrade list to be shorter than the number of empty seats. Does happen occasionally but normally upgrades will fill unsold seats.
Understood. But I'm sure UA would rather get compensated somewhat for the seat by releasing I inventory.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 6:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MarkP24
Understood. But I'm sure UA would rather get compensated somewhat for the seat by releasing I inventory.
They don't want customers, particularly business travelers, being able to predict releases and thus opting to using miles rather than paying cash, particularly when able to redeem saver-level miles in lieu of paying for a last minute J fare.

And between upgrades and cash buy-ups, very few J seats fly empty on UA these days.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and Boraxo like this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
They don't want customers, particularly business travelers, being able to predict releases and thus opting to using miles rather than paying cash, particularly when able to redeem saver-level miles in lieu of paying for a last minute J fare.

And between upgrades and cash buy-ups, very few J seats fly empty on UA these days.
That makes sense. Thanks!
Old Sep 19, 2023, 8:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MarkP24
Not a lot of evidence that is a major concern, far more evidence cash upgrades are a higher priority.
Clearance rates of waitlisted I appears lower then cash or standard upgrades and domestically CPU.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 2:02 am

Business award tickets Europe - Asia Pacific : none ?

Hello,

I am not familiar with this forum so please forgive me if question has already been asked. I have around 300K miles from years and years ago. I used to look at Europe - Pacific / Asia awards and could find plenty in business. I tried to look for April 2024 but I find zero business ticket : is this normal ? I tried hkg, sin, bkk, syd .. only economy.
Any help will be appreciated, thanks !

France USA
Old Sep 24, 2023, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by france usa
I tried to look for April 2024 but I find zero business ticket : is this normal ? I tried hkg, sin, bkk, syd .. only economy.
No that's not normal. There should be numerous options available in business, but you won't like the pricing (250k or more one-way).
Old Sep 24, 2023, 7:58 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.. I tried to look for April 2024 but I find zero business ticket : is this normal ? ...
Are you asking about Saver award levels or no business award at any level, such as 250K?

Should be last seat JN availability, I see JN for USA-Far East

Or is the issue CDG/FRA/ ... - Far East?

Yeah, that is odd but probably means there is no partner space available as going eastward would be the normal routing and UA metal JN is not an option, only partner / saver space which is not as plentiful as in the past.
Kacee likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 24, 2023 at 8:20 am Reason: CDG-HKG?
Old Sep 24, 2023, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
No that's not normal. There should be numerous options available in business, but you won't like the pricing (250k or more one-way).
This is normal, generally UA won't allow you to route Europe to Asia via US so this would be a 100% partner routing
Old Sep 24, 2023, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Hello,

I am not familiar with this forum so please forgive me if question has already been asked. I have around 300K miles from years and years ago. I used to look at Europe - Pacific / Asia awards and could find plenty in business. I tried to look for April 2024 but I find zero business ticket : is this normal ? I tried hkg, sin, bkk, syd .. only economy.
Any help will be appreciated, thanks !

France USA
Is that so?

Originally Posted by N104UA
This is normal, generally UA won't allow you to route Europe to Asia via US so this would be a 100% partner routing
Is that so?

Old Sep 24, 2023, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by cfischer
Is that so?

Is that so?

They won't let you route Europe to Asia via the US. The system has historically allowed you to route Asia to Europe via the US.

​​​​​
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 11:32 am

Programs: AA Gold
I know UA will level inventory early early in the day for some flights and open PN and some PZ. Has anyone seen another round of PN/PZ release closer to departure (say 1.5-3hrs)?

looking at a flight where J was sold out until a few hours ago and it's currently at J3 PN2 PZ0
Old Oct 28, 2023, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by leftysauce
I know UA will level inventory early early in the day for some flights and open PN and some PZ. Has anyone seen another round of PN/PZ release closer to departure (say 1.5-3hrs)?

looking at a flight where J was sold out until a few hours ago and it's currently at J3 PN2 PZ0
Flight is going to gate control. Not likely IMHO
Old Oct 28, 2023, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
Flight is going to gate control. Not likely IMHO
just checked again (before T-2) and it became J4 PN3 PZ1. I guess it was more of an existing capacity thing than new space being released

flight is delayed by 55 mins so I guess people are switching out
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 10:21 am

Has United been holding back saver business for Europe lately, coinciding with the star alliance crack down on brokers? I haven't seen any I or IN awards for CDG-SFO, FRA-SFO, MUC-SFO or LHR-SFO the whole past month. I remember during the summer they would still release close in. I was going for CDG-SFO on Weds 11/1 and there's 25 open seats in Polaris on the seat map (not the best approximate I know). Seems unlikely they'd fill all of it with upgrades but it's currently still going for 158k as a JN award.
small ring likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 11:59 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by berkeleysquirrel
Has United been holding back saver business for Europe lately, coinciding with the star alliance crack down on brokers? I haven't seen any I or IN awards for CDG-SFO, FRA-SFO, MUC-SFO or LHR-SFO the whole past month. I remember during the summer they would still release close in. I was going for CDG-SFO on Weds 11/1 and there's 25 open seats in Polaris on the seat map (not the best approximate I know). Seems unlikely they'd fill all of it with upgrades but it's currently still going for 158k as a JN award.
I think there some big summit or something in SF 2nd week of November, probably more available to other cities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.