Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is UA MP Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) -when is it released?
Print Wikipost

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:14 pm

JNB-MRU

I am trying to string together JFK-JNB-MRU-JNB-CPT-IAD in either July/August or October. And failing miserably.

In October, I can find JFK-JNB-CPT-IAD relatively easily for 240k + $128 for two, roundtrip in South African economy on the outbound and Ethiopian business on the return. But I can't find anything to MRU!

United's tool shows absolutely no award space in August, September, or October. It won't even pull up paid fares, which are ~$500 round trip on other carriers. Same with Delta, and BA. What am I missing? Is this just an extraordinarily popular time to fly to MRU?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:22 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Boraxo
that is demonstrably false. Late last year I used UA miles to book 4 seats in business class about 7 months before travel. That being said I would not be surprised if LH (like UA) releases more seats within 2 weeks of ETD. However that is too late for most of us who need certainty when planning family vacations
Boraxo is correct..... as another FT member indicated, the availability which I had read about (LH releasing 14-15 pre-departure for *A) only applies to first class awards.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 2, 2019 at 10:55 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:02 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Business Class awards 2020

Just curious as to why UA does not seem to offer BC award miles far out. I have booked Business Class award flights for February. What I do not understand is that UA award chart shows numerous awards on partner airlines. Like AC, LO, OS, LX, SK etc but pretty much nothing of their own in BC. If it does offer space it is generally a mixed cabin award with the UA flight offered only in economy. The only positive about this is that I do not have to fly into the US, which saves me from arriving late in the evening in YVR due to lack of good connections to YVR when coming from Europe and flying on UA
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfo
Just curious as to why UA does not seem to offer BC award miles far out.
It's the strategy they've been using for quite a while now. They hold off on opening saver award bookings until they get an idea for how many tickets they expect to be able to sell in the cabin. If sales fail to meet their expectations, they may open them later.

If you can find saver economy -- which isn't always possible either -- you could book that and then waitlist for business class.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:48 pm

UA seems to be opening up business saver about a month out recently. They get taken fast through.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:17 pm

UA is incredibly stingy even with paid deepest discount business P inventory 6 to 11 months out, much less award inventory.
Routinely DL & AA are cheaper upfront unless planning only a few months out.
Not my company and I live in LA so don’t really care what UA does on its own.
Feel sorry for captives in Denver, Houston, and New Jersey.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Colin
UA is incredibly stingy even with paid deepest discount business P inventory 6 to 11 months out, much less award inventory.
Routinely DL & AA are cheaper upfront unless planning only a few months out.
UA's policy of very high fares 11 months out has caused me to book DL and AA on my last two vacations. I found that not only were their fares much less expensive, but their hard and soft long-haul products were superior.
Old May 1, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: TK G,UA *S
Is there any fix time interval which is used to release LH awards in Y when using United miles?
It seems to me that they do not release these kind of seats much in advance. I can see for example a rule of about 45 days in advance on MEX FRA/MUC flights.

Thanks for any advice

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 1, 2019 at 12:06 pm Reason: Moved to consodidated thread
Old May 1, 2019, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by 747FC
UA's policy of very high fares 11 months out has caused me to book DL and AA on my last two vacations. I found that not only were their fares much less expensive, but their hard and soft long-haul products were superior.
UA has lost several lucrative holiday trips because I could not wait to see if UA would eventually match the lower fares offered on AS (VX) and WN. People value certainty particularly for family vacations.

Would not not agree about DL and AA product as neither offers me free E+ or any of the other elite perks I enjoy at UA. Plus I still (for now) value UA miles > DL skypesos
Old May 1, 2019, 8:48 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Would not not agree about DL and AA product as neither offers me free E+ or any of the other elite perks I enjoy at UA.
I was speaking of J cabin with this respective carriers.
Old May 1, 2019, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 747FC
I was speaking of J cabin with this respective carriers.
I rarely buy J for family travel. That's why the saver inventory release is important.
Old May 3, 2019, 10:16 am

So tickets to Turks & Caicos for April 4, 2020 became available for purchase for the first time today, but there are no award seats available.

Can someone tell me when they usually show up for redemption? Do I really have to check the United website every day for the next several months until they show as available?
Old May 3, 2019, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boltjames
So tickets to Turks & Caicos for April 4, 2020 became available for purchase for the first time today, but there are no award seats available.

Can someone tell me when they usually show up for redemption? Do I really have to check the United website every day for the next several months until they show as available?
Award seats are currently available at the Everyday level for United Premier members or for customers with a qualifying United-branded Chase credit card. Right now, I see flights from EWR at 40K miles per person in Economy or 70K in Business.

United may or may not ever open up these seats for non-status customers, and the number of miles required may or may not change at any time. My guess is that they will open these awards (at Everyday level) to all passengers after a couple of days, but that's all it is -- a guess.

United does not manage its award inventory by opening it up a set number when the flight comes onto the schedule and then selling them until they're gone. They can (and do) adjust inventory, upward or downward, at any time to reflect sales on that flight.
Old May 12, 2019, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another data point - just found 3 saver award J seats for June travel on Swiss SFO-ZRH. Would have snagged them but needed 4 - and they were gone within 12 hours.

Unfortunately it is hit or miss - if you want saver seats you basically have to check every day or subscribe to a service or pay an award booking service to monitor your routing.
Old May 12, 2019, 10:53 pm

1st saver good time to reserve for EWR to MUN and AMS to EWR

I'm traveling in October and it looks like only 2 and 5 seats respectively are sold out of the 39. That said, they only have Business everyday not business saver available. Is there a magical time they open the saver seats? I can see saver rates for this week and they are about a 1/3 of the miles!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.