Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is UA MP Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) -when is it released?
Print Wikipost

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:09 am

since the last check for the dec 18 flight, some numbers have changed. Here's the latest data - Available fare classes J4C4D4Z4P0Y4B4M4U4H4Q4V4W4S4T4L4K0
PN & PZ aren't showing up - does that mean they are zero?

*** update ***
i got the award - thanks for all your help!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 16, 2018 at 5:58 pm Reason: merged update / consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Where is the wiki ?

Hello all,
I was looking for the wiki post on "when saver awards are released" and I can not see it. On top
of this thread there is no summary posting so I am sure I am not doing something right..
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sam007
since the last check for the dec 18 flight, some numbers have changed. Here's the latest data - Available fare classes J4C4D4Z4P0Y4B4M4U4H4Q4V4W4S4T4L4K0
PN & PZ aren't showing up - does that mean they are zero?
Appears you are looking at a partner operated flight?
PN & PZ are for UA operated flights

Originally Posted by flyalways
Hello all,
I was looking for the wiki post on "when saver awards are released" and I can not see it. On top
of this thread there is no summary posting so I am sure I am not doing something right..
There isn't much in this thread's wiki -- just a link to the archived posts.

Are you on a desktop computer or using the mobile site on a phone or tablet? The mobile site you have to click to unhide the wiki.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 16, 2018 at 6:04 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:17 am

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Wondering about Lack of close-in Saver Awards in C on UA59 December 18, 2018

I have been checking on this flight twice daily (starting at exactly 11 pm Chicago time) for at least a week. Even now there are 20 open seats in business on the seat map and yet not even one Saver award seat opened up in this timeframe, at least not that I found (perhaps they opened up and someone beat me to them).

Just wondering what UA's thinking is not releasing any seats when so many seem to be available.

Thankfully I have another flight through ZRH but would have preferred to travel on UA metal.

Also, I have already checked in for ATH-ZRH-SFO so it's probably best to just give up on the thought of UA metal at this point, correct?

Thank you.

Last edited by janehoya; Dec 17, 2018 at 2:28 am
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
Saver is wide open:

Frankfurt, DE (FRA) to San Francisco, CA, US (SFO)
UA 59 Boeing 777-300ER

• Wi-Fi

• Power outlets
  • Available fare classes:
  • J9
  • JN9
  • C9
  • D9
  • Z9
  • ZN9
  • P9
  • PN9
  • PZ9
  • IN9
  • I9
  • Y9
  • YN9
  • B9
  • M9
  • E9
  • U9
  • H9
  • HN9
  • Q9
  • V9
  • W9
  • S9
  • T9
  • L9
  • K9
  • G0
  • N9
  • XN9
  • X9
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
@skycrab, thanks so much for your reply! So, even one hour ago when I checked most recently there was still nothing. Interesting that they waited 24 hours before the flight to release any of the 20 seats.

I called UA and the agent wasn't able to uncheck me in from my Aegean flight so we let it go. This is good to know for next time though. Thanks again.

Last edited by janehoya; Dec 17, 2018 at 5:02 am
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Skycrab beat me to it.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
Originally Posted by janehoya
@skycrab, thanks so much for your reply! So, even one hour ago when I checked most recently there was still nothing. Interesting that they waited 24 hours before the flight to release any of the 20 seats.

I called UA and the agent wasn't able to uncheck me in from my Aegean flight so we let it go. This is good to know for next time though. Thanks again.

As an aside, the taxes had gone up from approximately $85 to $160.
No problem. Living in the UK, we're used to "double the air passenger duty on premium cabin seats", is this what you mean about the tax? That there was a differential between the tax on Y and the tax on C?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Question Close in award pricing US domestic

Do saver 'fares' (award tickets) tend to open up close in (as a general rule)? I'm looking to the holidays..........Cheers.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by ermintrude
Do saver 'fares' (award tickets) tend to open up close in (as a general rule)? I'm looking to the holidays..........Cheers.
IME, yes... but on the typical "off days" (christmas day, NYE). They tend to stay pretty lean on the peak days.

But they can also be totally wiped away by a winter storm or other IRROPS.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:34 pm

Noticed something a bit strange -- I've been checking business class award space from NYC to BKK/HKT for Nov 2019. A couple weeks ago, there were plenty of flights available (saver and standard) on many days via Asiana, Austrian, Swiss, or Air China. Suddenly a few days ago, ALL the award flights on Asiana, Austrian, and Swiss are gone, not even Everyday Awards are available, leaving Air China as pretty much the only option. I'm not very experience with award redemption on United, so I'm hoping this is just a glitch, since I do see more options for closer in dates.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jbeans
Noticed something a bit strange -- I've been checking business class award space from NYC to BKK/HKT for Nov 2019. A couple weeks ago, there were plenty of flights available (saver and standard) on many days via Asiana, Austrian, Swiss, or Air China. Suddenly a few days ago, ALL the award flights on Asiana, Austrian, and Swiss are gone, not even Everyday Awards are available, leaving Air China as pretty much the only option.
It could have been snagged. Award space on desirable carriers to desirable destinations tends not to last long. CA is much less desirable than the other carriers you mention, for a number of reasons.

Note that partner awards are always saver awards. Everyday awards are only offered on UA metal (despite what the website may seem to indicate).

Keep checking, as award space will often come and go. And when you see something you like, grab it.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:49 pm

Thanks! It just felt like the flights were all pulled overnight. One night I was looking at a few different options showing for a few different days, and the next morning nothing was coming up at all. But I shall keep checking, fingers crossed.

Originally Posted by Kacee
It could have been snagged. Award space on desirable carriers to desirable destinations tends not to last long. CA is much less desirable than the other carriers you mention, for a number of reasons.

Note that partner awards are always saver awards. Everyday awards are only offered on UA metal (despite what the website may seem to indicate).

Keep checking, as award space will often come and go. And when you see something you like, grab it.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: MiliagePlus
Non-stop business saver award LHR-SFO

Im looking to book with United for a return trip between LHR and SFO next Nov (around the 11th for 10 days). I want to book their non-stop service with business saver awards (so it would be 70K miles each way, plus around 400 co-pay). However, when I search, their non-stop service is not available at this time for business saver awards, and only parters (SAS and Air Canada) with 1-stop come up with this award category. My question is, if I wait will Uniteds non-stop business saver awards category come up for sale on this flight? If not, Ill book with one of their partners now, but I dont want to jump the gun just incase United release this category of award closer to departure.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mattlwilliams
Im looking to book with United for a return trip between LHR and SFO next Nov (around the 11th for 10 days). I want to book their non-stop service with business saver awards (so it would be 70K miles each way, plus around 400 co-pay). However, when I search, their non-stop service is not available at this time for business saver awards, and only parters (SAS and Air Canada) with 1-stop come up with this award category. My question is, if I wait will Uniteds non-stop business saver awards category come up for sale on this flight? If not, Ill book with one of their partners now, but I dont want to jump the gun just incase United release this category of award closer to departure.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Non-stop business saver awards can be very difficult to find. UA will sometimes open availability and other times will not. There's no way to tell, and there's no set schedule.

You have a couple of options: 1 - book a partner award and waitlist for your preferred nonstop flight; you can do this by calling UA after you've made your initial booking. 2- wait and hope. If you have some flexibility on dates, it's possible that something will open up for you. If you're tied to a particular date, the waitlist option is probably your best bet.

BTW, there's no co-pay on UA awards. The 400 is taxes -- specifically, most of it is the Air Passenger Duty for premium cabin travel. If you were to start your trip from anywhere outside of England, Scotland, and Wales, you could avoid that tax; of course, then you'd have to get there first.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.