Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is UA MP Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) -when is it released?
Print Wikipost

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes. Whether you're traveling or not, in fact, as a Premier member, when using your miles, you have last-seat availability for Everyday awards to all UA-operated flights, no matter who the traveler is.
thanks
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
As someone who wrote much of the wiki regarding waitlisting for a premium award when only a saver economy award is available, I'm feeling a little dumb here regarding the possibility of waitlisting alternate flights on a saver economy award. For instance, if I book a saver LHR-EWR economy award on either UA or Air Lingus , it it possible to waitlist for a CDG-EWR UA saver economy award?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hughw
As someone who wrote much of the wiki regarding waitlisting for a premium award when only a saver economy award is available, I'm feeling a little dumb here regarding the possibility of waitlisting alternate flights on a saver economy award. For instance, if I book a saver LHR-EWR economy award on either UA or Air Lingus , it it possible to waitlist for a CDG-EWR UA saver economy award?
Waitlisting is technically allowed only for premium cabins. Agents don't know the rules very well, and may allow you to waitlist for the economy cabin nevertheless. Or claim that there is no waitlisting period
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:19 am

I am booking a flight to and from Costa Rica with points for my honeymoon in May. When I was checking options the other day, I found the lowest points fare according to the chart (17,500) each way once I signed in with my Mileage Plus account. However, when I went back to book, the points price jumped to 27,000 for the return flight. Is this something that just fluctuates, and I should keep an eye out and book when I find it at 17,500? Or are there tricks (clearing browsing history, using a VPN to change my location, booking on a certain day of the week) that will help me find the lowest fare?

Thanks
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:35 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by frp0901
I am booking a flight to and from Costa Rica with points for my honeymoon in May. When I was checking options the other day, I found the lowest points fare according to the chart (17,500) each way once I signed in with my Mileage Plus account. However, when I went back to book, the points price jumped to 27,000 for the return flight. Is this something that just fluctuates, and I should keep an eye out and book when I find it at 17,500? ...
There is limited inventory at the lower, saver rate -- it may come back, it may not.

Or are there tricks (clearing browsing history, using a VPN to change my location, booking on a certain day of the week) that will help me find the lowest fare? ...
The search history myth tricks will not help, it is what it is.
Different days are definitely a possibility. Saver inventory varies by flight, date, ....
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There is limited inventory at the lower, saver rate -- it may come back, it may not.

The search history myth tricks will not help, it is what it is.
Different days are definitely a possibility. Saver inventory varies by flight, date, ....
Thanks! Is it possible to create an alert for this? I found ExpertFlyer, but am hoping there is a free option.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thanks! Is it possible to create an alert for this? ....
for "X" saver economy inventory, yes. If you have a newer MP card credit or status, you want to find the slightly more plentiful "XN" inventory space but not possible to set alerts for XN.

No alerts on UA.com, EF is one of the service for alerts. All the alert service require a subscription.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:09 pm

for "X" saver economy inventory, yes. If you have a newer MP card credit or status, you want to find the slightly more plentiful "XN" inventory space but not possible to set alerts for XN.

No alerts on UA.com, EF is one of the service for alerts. All the alert service require a subscription.
Thanks for all the help. After browsing FT some more, I have learned about expert mode and the fare classes. The flight in question has "XN0" and "X0". I have the MP Explorer card, so my understanding is that qualifies me for "XN" fares. What I haven't been able to figure out is does the "XN0" mean United won't allocate any space in that fare bucket and I would need someone who got an "XN" fare to cancel? Or is it possible more of the XN fares will become available in the future?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
does the "XN0" mean United won't allocate any space in that fare bucket and I would need someone who got an "XN" fare to cancel? Or is it possible more of the XN fares will become available in the future?
The first and the last statements are both possible, but someone cancelling a reservation won't necessarily return the seat back to XN inventory.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
What I haven't been able to figure out is does the "XN0" mean United won't allocate any space in that fare bucket and I would need someone who got an "XN" fare to cancel? Or is it possible more of the XN fares will become available in the future?
United changes the number of seats allocated to XN class "from time to time" (it could be basically whenever, but a recalculation usually occurs whenever a ticket is sold/canceled, ~twice a week, and at certain intervals before departure like T-30, T-21, T-14, and T-7 days) based on how the current flight load compares to their predicted flight demand at that time, plus some fuzz factor to stop you from gaming the system. About the only predictable thing is that buying a ticket will cause all buckets with less than 9 inventory to decrease by 1, although even that is not guaranteed. Canceling a ticket will not, in general, replenish that bucket (especially if it is strongly 0).
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Canceling a ticket will not, in general, replenish that bucket (especially if it is strongly 0).
Right. Inventory is extremely dynamic; the notion that there are a certain number of seats preallocated for award travel, deep discounts, etc. is an urban myth. Some flights likely go out with zero award travel; on others, they may be willing to fill the cabin with saver award tickets right up until departure.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:17 pm

Ua49 bom-ewr

guys

i'm trying to evaluate if united is going to release award space early in the week like they did last week (Sun & Mon were available). I know it's a silly question but anybody care to comment? Currently expertflyer showing 6 seats on 17th, 9 on 18th and 15 available on the 19th

also does expertflyer show the class of the seats that are curently left? I don't see it in seat map and wondering if that's a method to determine if award space may get released soon

thx

Last edited by sam007; Dec 15, 2018 at 11:10 pm
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by sam007
.... I know it's a silly question but anybody care to comment? Currently expertflyer showing 6 seats on 17th, 9 on 18th and 15 available on the 19th

also does expertflyer show the class of the seats that are curently left? ...
Seatmaps can be problematic and sometimes misleading.

It is better to look at Fare class inventory -- expertflyer shows the paid fare class numbers in "Flight Availability Results"

"Expert Mode" on united.com is better, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...cket-data.html
Additionally, https://www.cablepick.net/united can reveal the number of unsold premium cabin seat.

What you want to see is some availability of discount business fare class inventory that might be converted to award space if not sold.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 15, 2018 at 11:31 pm
Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:56 am

Seatmaps can be problematic and sometimes misleading.

It is better to look at Fare class inventory -- expertflyer shows the paid fare class numbers in "Flight Availability Results"

"Expert Mode" on united.com is better, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...cket-data.html
Additionally, https://www.cablepick.net/united can reveal the number of unsold premium cabin seat.

What you want to see is some availability of discount business fare class inventory that might be converted to award space if not sold.
Am I looking for for C,D,P,Z basically? I see C1 but nothing on the other classes on 17th. But for 18th, I see 8 seats in each of the C D P Z classes - checked both united & expertflyer websites

Any other fare classes I'm missing and what do you think are my chances for the 18th that a saver award becomes avialable? As a reference point, last week, both Sun & Mon had award seats available

thanks
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:53 am

Am I looking for for C,D,P,Z basically? I see C1 but nothing on the other classes on 17th. But for 18th, I see 8 seats in each of the C D P Z classes - checked both united & expertflyer websites, Any other fare classes I'm missing...
J? J is full fare business and tells you how many seats are for sale (but capped at 9)

and what do you think are my chances for the 18th that a saver award becomes avialable? ...
Z8 P8 are a good sign, what is PN (hopefully >0) and PZ (likely zero)? What you need is Ior IN if an elite. You will not see the two fare classes on expertflyer, you will need UA's Expert Mode.
General PZ>0 is neededforI is become available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.