Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners)-when is it released? Ever any business?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2017, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Years ago, there was a pattern of release award space at begin-of-schedule, some 330+ before travel. That is not longer the default situation. There may be some released at that time and a few weeks later but just as common for airlines to wait to see how the flight is selling versus historical data. Then if sales are falling behind, they may release some seats. If sold seats are on historical trends or better, the likelihood of awards space is less. Some airlines are more sophisticated than others and some like UA for their flights tend to hold onto space until closer to departure.

So in summary, predictable patterns are few and award space is getting harder to find.

Business award space for some routes can be nearly impossible to find and generally is never easy. BUT it can happen with some flexibility and perseverance.

A couple of suggestions for finding space
== Avoid peak travel periods -- seasons, days --- midweek tends to be better than weekends, be flexiable -- fixed dates are a killer
== Look early, look late, look all the time
== Partner space tends to be more available than UA space for international flights
== For those not starting at a hub, first look for "gateway" non-stop space to Europe or Asia. Find the long haul flight possibilities first and then build from there (or separate ticket to the gateway -- with plenty of buffer time)

What does "Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight" mean?

What time (and time zone), how many days out does UA release awards for booking?

Previous Thread -- United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]
Print Wikipost

UA Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners)-when is it released? Ever any business?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2023, 10:22 am

Programs: UA 1K
I didn't think United would waitlist you for J Award seats.

Frankly, I'd rather pay 200K miles than gamble.

Thoughts?
Old Dec 14, 2023, 11:28 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by boulderflyer21
I didn't think United would waitlist you for J Award seats.

Frankly, I'd rather pay 200K miles than gamble.

Thoughts?
whole thread on just that. I/IN space.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by boulderflyer21
Hey Friends..

I'm looking for saver J fares from Sydney, BNE, or MEL on January 1st.

Should I book the 200K fares and hope for savers?

I found saver 100K J fares on the outbound, but even with 20 open seats, United isn't lowering the prices.

What gives?

Thoughts on best practices?

Kevin
Book for 200k and re-book when you see 100k open up. Pretty simple.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K
Thank you!
Old Dec 18, 2023, 1:59 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
There were a lot of J saver awards to Oz and NZ in November and December. I redeemed one to Australia, after exchanging one that I had for NZ.

I wonder if they have too much capacity to Oceania which might get cut back./

OTOH, I've been tracking PE and J fares for months and they are very high, much higher than prior to the pandemic.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 12:02 pm

Is it realistic that Business class availability on PPT->SFO for mid-May will yet be released for partner programs? Currently its only available on UA Mileageplus, but not LH Miles & More or others. Thanks
Jm0115 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 7:39 am

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Is award wait-listing still possible? I have a mixed class award ticket some in XN and other segments in IN
Old Dec 28, 2023, 7:44 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by ArnoldB
Is it realistic that Business class availability on PPT->SFO for mid-May will yet be released for partner programs? Currently its only available on UA Mileageplus, but not LH Miles & More or others. Thanks
If you search close in dates you should see limited I availability, which should be showing up on the partner website, so it's possible it may show up in May, but who knows the likelihood. May typically isn't the busiest time so your odds may be OK.

Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS
Is award wait-listing still possible? I have a mixed class award ticket some in XN and other segments in IN
Yeah there's a thread on this, its not easy but persistence may pay off.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
This is the thread you want about waitlisting for IN on a mixed-class award: Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues".
Old Feb 21, 2024, 2:58 pm

How often does United release saver awards?

I'm still researching a trip RDU-DPS-SIN-RDU. Dec 24/Jan 25. I see no saver awards for anything. Is there a chance that United might make more available throughout the year or do they release all their inventory at one time, and that's it? And am I likely to find more saver awards for domestic and perhaps none for international? I'm interested in Premium Economy or Business.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 3:39 pm

Programs: Bear Backers
Check 30 days before flights.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by oskidunker
Check 30 days before flights.
If you are responding to me, then thanks. Don't most people book earlier than 30 days out? To clarify, I can get an award booking for an insane amount of miles. But anything like a Mileage Plus Award upgrade is WAITLIST only. And, if you calculate the price of say Premium Economy + miles to get to Business, at the moment it's not much more to just pay cash for a flight.

I guess I'm asking about the waitlist and if it changes during the year if additional award inventory is released? Will I see the same "waitlist only" flights in June that I see right now?
Old Feb 21, 2024, 4:51 pm

Programs: Bear Backers
Yes, most peopke book more than 30 days in advance

Originally Posted by zitsky
If you are responding to me, then thanks. Don't most people book earlier than 30 days out? To clarify, I can get an award booking for an insane amount of miles. But anything like a Mileage Plus Award upgrade is WAITLIST only. And, if you calculate the price of say Premium Economy + miles to get to Business, at the moment it's not much more to just pay cash for a flight.

I guess I'm asking about the waitlist and if it changes during the year if additional award inventory is released? Will I see the same "waitlist only" flights in June that I see right now?
not sure if your position on the wait list will improve.Unless you have staus, I would forget about waitlisting. The bottom line is United waits to see how many tickets they can sell before releasing saver awards. Seems to be 30 days is when they start considering releasing saver awards.if you have miles you can book a standard award and try to change it later.problem is by the time you cancel, get miles back and try to book , the saver award might be gone
Boraxo likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by zitsky
I'm still researching a trip RDU-DPS-SIN-RDU. Dec 24/Jan 25. I see no saver awards for anything. Is there a chance that United might make more available throughout the year or do they release all their inventory at one time, and that's it? And am I likely to find more saver awards for domestic and perhaps none for international? I'm interested in Premium Economy or Business.
UA will release inventory when they see fit. Sometimes that is at T-330 sometimes that is 3 days before departure. Good times to check can be around major schedule changes. Domestic is 'hard' to find if you are looking for I availability. IN can be found, I just booked for October and found plenty. TPAC - YMMV. Australia and New Zealand has plenty right now - Singapore has always been difficult.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Days of finding Saver awards for Polaris must be long long gone...

In the old days, one could almost count on award seats opening up a day or two before a flight, including long haul Business Class seats

THere would always be a small number of seats and it would seem that United would start offering redemptions for those seats just to fill the cabin

I notice today non-stop IAH-EZE or IAH-GIG are simply full price or not available at all, or, for a high redemption level of miles.

Got me thinking - suppose I am in a major hub city - IAH/EWR/SFO/ORD - and have 80,000 points ready to redeem and a long weekend.

Is there a way to check what inventory might be fire sale status?

Or, do i need to do this city pair by city pair until I find one?
Jm0115 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.