Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

So [not] excited for my first flight as a GS {in economy}

So [not] excited for my first flight as a GS {in economy}

Old Jan 30, 17, 12:32 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer View Post
A company may well negotiate something like a 10% preferred provider type of discount with an airline, but I've worked/consulted at plenty of places that pay full (or at best ~90%) J/F for their senior staff. I've also worked in scenarios where even hourly techs by policy flew full Y/B.
United c2012-2015 was offering 40%+ discounts to try to avoid losing major accounts. And some of these deals were not just off F/C/Y, but off of lower fare buckets.

I don't know if UA was able to raise it's rates (decrease its discount) for this year's contracts, but the discounts have been HUGE in the last few years.
Old Jan 30, 17, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by NH_Clark View Post
The richest people I know are rich because they don't spend money frivolously.
Are you saying all the rich people you know fly Y intl?
Old Jan 30, 17, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by PushingTin View Post
I have no patience or compassion for GS complaining about travel in Y. You guys are supposed to pay expensive fares, that is what separates you from us lowly 1Ks.
+1
Old Jan 30, 17, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by spin88 View Post
United c2012-2015 was offering 40%+ discounts to try to avoid losing major accounts. And some of these deals were not just off F/C/Y, but off of lower fare buckets.

I don't know if UA was able to raise it's rates (decrease its discount) for this year's contracts, but the discounts have been HUGE in the last few years.
Having previously worked at a very large (c. 30,000 US) consulting company with a lot of travel, I can tell you that the discounts weren't as lucrative as often get thrown around here (to be fair though, no idea what kind of backend credits/rebates the company was getting).

Economy: Discounts wouldn't kick in until about the E fares, and only got to double digits with Y/B/M.
First/Biz: Similar, P/Z has low single digit % discounts. I saw 40% only once, on a full J international biz fare.

IME, even with a 40% discount J, the public could still get a cheaper Biz seat buy booking in advance with a P or Z.
Old Jan 30, 17, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.6MM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by iflyuaaa View Post
<pointless thread>
+1

Old Jan 30, 17, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez

Originally Posted by findark View Post
IME 10% is a very poor discount from full fare for a preferred provider contract. I work at a medium-small company and even we get 20% off F/J/C/Y fares. It's a much bigger discount for full fare; with something like a T fare the discount is 2%.
Originally Posted by jmanirish View Post
Having previously worked at a very large (c. 30,000 US) consulting company with a lot of travel, I can tell you that the discounts weren't as lucrative as often get thrown around here (to be fair though, no idea what kind of backend credits/rebates the company was getting).

Economy: Discounts wouldn't kick in until about the E fares, and only got to double digits with Y/B/M.

First/Biz: Similar, P/Z has low single digit % discounts. I saw 40% only once, on a full J international biz fare.
I suppose YMMV, and likely there have been some wide swings in recent years with the merger, market, etc. The most recent discount I was aware of (2013/2014ish) was about 10% for a corporation many would recognize as quite large. In fact, it wasn't considered significant enough to force me to use the company travel system as a consultant, so I was allowed to just book my own full J flights individually and invoice them. Likewise, back say 10 years ago, a mid-sized company to which I consulted had about the same deal and the same policy, so I assumed this was fairly standard. Just goes to show (sample) size matters!
Old Jan 30, 17, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by AlreadyThere View Post
I'll handle this...

Sorry for the stupid question, but how is one granted status?

As part of a negotiation with a company, UA may grant a certain number of GS-status accounts for x million dollars' company travel. The company can then designate who gets the granted status.

So, just curious, if you could spend that kind of money what would you fly? Seems like all airlines are pretty much the same. And spending $50,000 per year won't get you very far in private air travel.

In economy, most airlines are pretty much the same. But in premium classes, especially outside North America, there are immense differences in the flying experience. A number of European carriers, and I would say most large Asian/Pacific carriers, offer a premium product to which no US carrier can compare, although the foreign carriers' fares are often comparable or even less.

I don't know the rules. If you are on a K fare, its just never upgraded?

For overwater flights, K class cannot be upgraded with a Global Premier Upgrade. Only W class and above can be upgraded.
Thank you so much for sharing your answers. I have only flown flatbeds on ua and aa, though I've seen pics of Asian biz class. :-)

If I want to experience these other products, what airlines or routes from US would you take? Australia, South Asia, and Japan/Korea are all on my future travel list. I would try to use AA or UA miles. Or I could sign up for the host carrier's plan if I can get some sort of bonus to start and just get miles for a one way biz flight on that carrier and then come back on another.
Old Jan 30, 17, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK View Post
Thank you so much for sharing your answers. I have only flown flatbeds on ua and aa, though I've seen pics of Asian biz class. :-)

If I want to experience these other products, what airlines or routes from US would you take? Australia, South Asia, and Japan/Korea are all on my future travel list. I would try to use AA or UA miles. Or I could sign up for the host carrier's plan if I can get some sort of bonus to start and just get miles for a one way biz flight on that carrier and then come back on another.
This is almost OMNI in its breadth, but I'll take a swing at it. United lacks direct isle access on its entire fleet, and some of the seats are either very short (763 2-class, some of the 789 seats) or are narrow (pmUA ITPE seats in J in the middle). The soft product is at best third rate. AA has (or had, Parker has taken a meat ax to it) better soft product, but some of the "slant" seats were worse than what UA offered. That said, the new AA lie flat seats are better than what UA has.

As to what you can get to ASIA, using miles, lots of fans of ANA (in J) on this board, good seats, fawning service, much better soft product. JAL has also upped its game (AA miles) and is the equal of ANA IMHO, which I, and I suspect most would not have said three years ago.

I personally like Asiana (UA miles), some mixed feelings about them. But clearly better than UA. Also some fans of BR and their new product. Its clearly better than UA, but how much better? I'll let others comment on the current Royal Laurel, my experience is several years old.

Had you asked I would have said CX was vastly superior to UA, but the airline has really fallen. Seats are still nice, but soft product has fallen. I'd take them over AA, but the gap is narrowed. Better than UA by far, but again, gap is less (in J, once the new 777W is on SFO-HKG). SQ remains a very good carrier, but you can't get SQ J easily with UA miles, they are not friends.

Skip the rest of the pacific carriers, especially with miles (see AirChina)
Old Jan 30, 17, 10:49 pm

This is almost OMNI in its breadth, but I'll take a swing at it. United lacks direct isle access on its entire fleet, and some of the seats are either very short (763 2-class, some of the 789 seats) or are narrow (pmUA ITPE seats in J in the middle). The soft product is at best third rate. AA has (or had, Parker has taken a meat ax to it) better soft product, but some of the "slant" seats were worse than what UA offered. That said, the new AA lie flat seats are better than what UA has.

As to what you can get to ASIA, using miles, lots of fans of ANA (in J) on this board, good seats, fawning service, much better soft product. JAL has also upped its game (AA miles) and is the equal of ANA IMHO, which I, and I suspect most would not have said three years ago.

I personally like Asiana (UA miles), some mixed feelings about them. But clearly better than UA. Also some fans of BR and their new product. Its clearly better than UA, but how much better? I'll let others comment on the current Royal Laurel, my experience is several years old.

Had you asked I would have said CX was vastly superior to UA, but the airline has really fallen. Seats are still nice, but soft product has fallen. I'd take them over AA, but the gap is narrowed. Better than UA by far, but again, gap is less (in J, once the new 777W is on SFO-HKG). SQ remains a very good carrier, but you can't get SQ J easily with UA miles, they are not friends.

Skip the rest of the pacific carriers, especially with miles (see AirChina)
Thank you so much for the input on what airlines to fly in Asia! :-)
Old Jan 31, 17, 5:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

That is REALLY LOW, far lower than I recall seeing when I was GS and tracked these things very carefully. The rule of thumb used to be you had to have over $40K in UA spending if in a competitive market, more at a hub, and at a high c/mi. If you are flying mostly international J in P fares, well that sort of surprises me if you are under $40K. If you don't mind me asking, what airport do you fly out of? And are you flying competitive routes (i.e. ones where OALs also fly direct?)

No way that you would be "gifted" GS and not have some idea where it came from, you earned it.

+1. I was GS for years, and made a good living, but that did not mean that I would waste money. Paying an extra $1000/ticket for a W and then having to use 4 SWU/GPUs was not a good use of my $$$$. BUT, and its a big BUT, back pre-2013 I could just get award tickets at a reasonable rate in J.

If OP was not able to get a reward ticket (or at a sensible price) and can't use his GPUs due to the W requirement, and he is already PAYING for J on nearly all of his UA travel, well then it is sort of hard to see much extra benefit in GS.

This is why AA/DL's equivalent instruments not having a buy-up requirement is a nice deal for an elite.
Mostly PEK-SFO P fares. My home address was listed in PEK for most of the year, then moved to SNA. A round trip PEK-SFO in P could be as low as $3000, but most trips averaged $5000. I did I think 8 paid trips, one was a bulk fare (Z Class) so no PQD on it. I also had a couple Y trips.

and on that route, Y tix are less than $800 round trip, so no way i'm paying 70k miles, earning no PQM/PQD/Lifetime. I end up giving my miles to my mom and brother to come visit me.

good to know i wasn't gifted GS. i thought maybe our travel dept did it and din't tell me.
Old Jan 31, 17, 5:34 am

Programs: AC E50K, Accor , ANA, Avios
Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis View Post
Woah Woah, you have no idea what his circumstances are. He wasn’t complaining, he said he wasn’t as excited as he feels he should be. No need to rant, his post was perfectly reasonable.
Come on now. The intent of the post really was just to brag about being GS.
Old Jan 31, 17, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA -GS 4.5 MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Diamond
Just a note - there are "many" GS in coach on international flights. I certainly am - it all depends on how you achieved your status. I did it the hard way 4+ Million miles. I fly on my company's dime, we purchase the least expensive fares, so rarely are my fares upgradeable. Since I board with the other GS members, I can see that I'm not the only one in the back . The good news is that I pretty much get upgraded on domestic flights using certificates or automatic upgrades
Old Jan 31, 17, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by rufflesinc View Post
Are you saying all the rich people you know fly Y intl?
No,.. I am saying that the rich people I know spend their money judiciously. Wealth-retention is they key so some may decide not to spend a $1000 just to upgrade.
Old Jan 31, 17, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by iflyuaaa View Post
Mostly PEK-SFO P fares. My home address was listed in PEK for most of the year, then moved to SNA. A round trip PEK-SFO in P could be as low as $3000, but most trips averaged $5000. I did I think 8 paid trips, one was a bulk fare (Z Class) so no PQD on it. I also had a couple Y trips.

and on that route, Y tix are less than $800 round trip, so no way i'm paying 70k miles, earning no PQM/PQD/Lifetime. I end up giving my miles to my mom and brother to come visit me.

good to know i wasn't gifted GS. i thought maybe our travel dept did it and din't tell me.
my guess is that the PEK/SNA addresses got your GS. Had you listed a Bay Area address, I seriously doubt you would have gotten GS.

As to not knowing where it come from, not surprising. back in I think 2011 I had a partner who got GS, he had done a bunch of SFO-PEK/SFO-NRT-Harbin for a case and suddenly got this card. Came and asked me (the resident travel nut in our office) what it was, he thought he had been downgraded from 1K.

If you have an issue you will find (or should find) the IRROPs handling better than the dreadful level of UA generally, and will jump to the top of the upgrade list, and the upgrades will (or used to anyway) clear earlier.
Old Jan 31, 17, 2:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
This thread has wandered about and lost focus. So with existing
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ns-2017-a.html
and
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...iscussion.html
to discuss GS benefits and qualification criteria
will close this thread out.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Search this Thread
Search Engine: