Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Most polite, easiest, less fuss way of asking to be woken up for service?

Old Jan 26, 17, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC

Mainly talking TATL and TPAC here:
Economy
I have heard of sticky notes?
Tell seat mate (Done this a lot and have done it for others domestic)
I wouldn't expect asking a FA would qualify as anything other than DYKWIA, not only that, they may be resting during XX meal and there is no way they could even possibly keep track of 300+ people

Business Class:
Sticky notes might seem tacky in your little cubicle
Can FA actually keep track of up to potentially 50 business passengers - still seems like a DYKWIA

I have heard some IFE allow you to check a box for wake up, but not sure what airlines or how drunk the person was when they told me this.

I personally wouldn't mind if they just hauled off and smacked me in the face and said food's ready, although I doubt any of them would do it.

I just want to have my food, with as little fuss to the FA as possible, yet, I may doze off and don't want them to have to cater to me if I wake up 60 minutes after everyone else stopped eating.

So, how do you ask for service?
Old Jan 26, 17, 5:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
In Business Class, they usually ask if I would like to be woken for arrival service when they talk to me for initial meal choice. Often they also ask which choice I would like for arrival meal.

Alternatively, the Polaris amenity kit now contains a sticker for "Do not disturb", IIRC.

As for economy, I believe the most recognized "signal" that you would like to be included in the service is to lower your seat-back tray. I know it works very well on short-haul.
Old Jan 26, 17, 6:57 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott G, Hilton G, SPG G
I've asked in business to be woken for the meal multiple times and never considered that it was DYKWIA! Am I wrong?!

Its never crossed my mind to ask to be woken in Y to either an FA or my neighbor. Agree that lowering the tray table seems to work.
Old Jan 26, 17, 7:36 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; DL Plat; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Marriott Plat; Global Entry
In Economy, assume you'll be awaken. I've often seen FAs lower the tray tables of those who are asleep and then leaving the food on the tray table.
Old Jan 26, 17, 8:05 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
Alternatively, the Polaris amenity kit now contains a sticker for "Do not disturb", IIRC.
Correct. When Polaris hard product rolls out there will be a "Do Not Disturb" light.

You can also wear this:

http://www.flight001.com/in-flight-c...-eye-mask.html
Old Jan 26, 17, 8:07 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
A classic.

Old Jan 26, 17, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
OK, good ideas here, my first Polaris flight is next week. My schedule before and after will be horrendous and probably won't have time to eat after landing, so I don't want to sleep thru what little food I may get.

Thanks for the advice
Old Jan 26, 17, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I never hesitate to ask the FA to let me sleep when in business class. And only once did they screw it up.

In economy I assume I'll be awake just based on the jostling and noise and such.
Old Jan 26, 17, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold
Here is an idea - asking the FA the time of the meal service and setting an alarm on your phone. You'll need to keep the earplugs/headset on to prevent bothering other passengers when the alarm goes off.
Old Jan 26, 17, 10:04 am

I miss the old 'wake for meals' stickers, in fact I used to put them on co-workers' cubicles at my office
Old Jan 26, 17, 10:05 am

Programs: IHG Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by CAPT Tee View Post
Here is an idea - asking the FA the time of the meal service and setting an alarm on your phone. You'll need to keep the earplugs/headset on to prevent bothering other passengers when the alarm goes off.
Lots of travelers have smart watches or fitness trackers that have alarms that vibrate and wouldn't disturb other passengers. Downside is if you're on a long-haul it is very difficult to gauge what time you will arrive because there may be strong head/tailwinds.
Old Jan 26, 17, 10:35 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by Hipplewm View Post
Business Class:
Sticky notes might seem tacky in your little cubicle
I can't resist pointing out this pun.

Anyway, my impression is that the mid-flight snack is served on request at any time between the two meals, so I'd go straight to the galley to make my request whenever I feel like it, and not wait to be awakened. The pre-arrival meal is a more structured service, and if I wanted to make sure to have it, I too would go to the galley and request to be awakened.

There's nothing wrong with calling the FA to the seat, but I personally prefer making my request in the galley.
Old Jan 26, 17, 12:57 pm

Programs: United 1K, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Another classic: If you have a per-seat in-flight entertainment (not personal device), try looking for a painting 'game' in the kids section and simply write that you would like to be woken up for meal service :-)
Old Jan 26, 17, 4:39 pm

On my recent TPAC flight, I didn't use the "do not disturb" sticker, and sure enough a FA did wake me up for the "breakfast" service.
Old Jan 27, 17, 3:29 pm

Programs: United Platinum
I've asked the FA when ordering my first mail. I figured they wrote it down on their paper. I didn't feel like I was putting them out.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: