Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What happens when dropping status levels – E+ access, upgrade priority & .. {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

What happens when dropping status levels – E+ access, upgrade priority & .. {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: SPG P, HH G, MR G, IHG P, Hyatt D
I was UAMP P member until Jan 31st, 2017. I have several flights booked for myself and family in Feb. 2017. Until yesterday it showed that I am on list to First class and 2 bags each 70lb is good. As of today I am just "normal" member. I had no segments on UA last year as I live in Asia. So I called UA and after being persistent changed my UA # to my Avianca Star Alliance Gold number. Question: Will I get 2 bags for free and Lounge access?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 6:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wedotravel
I was UAMP P member until Jan 31st, 2017. I have several flights booked for myself and family in Feb. 2017. Until yesterday it showed that I am on list to First class and 2 bags each 70lb is good. As of today I am just "normal" member. I had no segments on UA last year as I live in Asia. So I called UA and after being persistent changed my UA # to my Avianca Star Alliance Gold number. Question: Will I get 2 bags for free and Lounge access?
If it got properly attached, then you should get the standard *G benefits. The bags # will depend on the route, you willnge 1 additional bag on UA flights.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rnational.html
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wedotravel
You'll get lounge access as a *G (non-UA) on any itin including domestic. You're good there.

Bag allowance is based on destination, and will be different dependent on which. I think *G only get 50lbs per bag, though I could be wrong, and you'll get 1 bag over the normal allowance.

UA does have a pretty good bag calculator - you can put in origin, destination, UA or Star status, etc. and it will tell you exactly what you'll get.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:46 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
No status now. Flights booked while having status still show "Eligible CPU upgrade"

No status now, but booked two sets of flights in January as a Gold for February/March.

Both are still showing "CPU Eligible"

Is that really the case?? I can't imagine it being so, but then again with United's IT, who knows?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 6, 2017 at 12:05 pm Reason: Cleanup after merge
Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
They're not CPU eligible. When United's IT system does a sweep closer to departure, you'll lose that 'notice'.

It's similar to how you could be sitting in Economy Plus in those reservations since you had access to those seats when you booked the flight. However, should a flight change occur or a schedule change and you get bumped from Economy Plus, United will charge you once you try to move back to those seats.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:54 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
They're not CPU eligible. When United's IT system does a sweep closer to departure, you'll lose that 'notice'.
Not what I wanted to hear, but certainly not unexpected.

It's similar to how you could be sitting in Economy Plus in those reservations since you had access to those seats when you booked the flight. However, should a flight change occur or a schedule change and you get bumped from Economy Plus, United will charge you once you try to move back to those seats.
Yes, very much hoping there will be no schedule change/aircraft change/flight# change.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I fell from plat to gold on 2/1, and even after that, flights this past weekend still reflected 72-hour window, as did my itinerary later this month booked as a plat (though for the first time today, noticing that has changed to 48 hours). However, Im almost certain I was properly placed on the standby upgrade list at gold priority - wife and I were # 7&8 out of 9 folks on the list for a flight yesterday evening, and I don't think I've ever been that close to the bottom as a plat.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: UA Platinum
My experience on flights operated by UA has been similar to the answers given above.

However, partner airlines must not update status quite as frequently, as I have been treated as a *G even after losing status between booking and departure date.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by waxearwings
My experience on flights operated by UA has been similar to the answers given above.

However, partner airlines must not update status quite as frequently, as I have been treated as a *G even after losing status between booking and departure date.
This is definitely true. I've had it going both ways (from Silver/Premier to Gold/Premier Exec, and from Plat to Gold). Not sure what the frequency is, but I would be very surprised if it's anything more frequent than a weekly feed.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by waxearwings
When I was in Canada, and dropped my Aeroplan *G, UA seemed to recognize me as *G for several
months, pretty sure it was at least 3 or 4.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 6:11 am

No sweep or sched change, but E+ seats selected when Gold now gone

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
...It's similar to how you could be sitting in Economy Plus in those reservations since you had access to those seats when you booked the flight. However, should a flight change occur or a schedule change and you get bumped from Economy Plus, United will charge you once you try to move back to those seats.
I don't know if this has been reported before, or if others have had the same experience: I have two reservations currently; both were made while I still had Gold status. I selected E+ seats at the time of the reservation.

There has been NO schedule change or aircraft swap on either itinerary, but all of my selected seats are now un-selected, leaving me with a) no seat assignments at all, and b) the option to pay a la carte for E+ seats on each flight.

Sigh.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Last year my wife was gold, I was silver so we booked a bunch of flights we knew we needed between EWR and LAS and one TATL and one TPAC. The TPAC and half of the TALT are already confirmed in J so they are a non-issue. One trip from LAS to EWR is confirmed in F. The rest are just economy tickets and we picked E+ seats at booking and as of this morning we still in those seats despite her dropping to Silver and me dropping to nothing for the first time in 28 yeas....hope it holds but so far, so good.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 7:57 pm

Booking flight when I will not be an elite member

Hi. I am Premier Silver for 2017 but will not be requalifying for premier status in 2018.

I booked a flight for February 2018 when I will lose my silver status however my reservation is showing that me an my companion are eligible for complimentary upgrade.

Is this going to disapper when I lose my premier status on February of next year? Or do tickets still carry the premier benefits at the time when they were booked?

At the time of check in will I be able to choose an extra legroom seat for free and be on the upgrade list?
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Amb
You must hold the status at time of checkin to use any of the benefits.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mmayer
You must hold the status at time of checkin to use any of the benefits.
While technically correct - the E+benefit (for golds and above) doesn’t seem to be affected by a status drop - the system seems to keep a free E+ seat assignment
made when one is an elite (at booking). Who knows when UA decides to sweep for this at some point- can’t be that hard to do - but they don’t seem to do it currently. Wouldn’t really apply for silvers except for flights on Feb. 1, since they only get the seating benefit 24 hours priorti travel.

Also unclear how CPU would be affected if you get CPUd when you are eligible during your window while still elite but drop by flight time (I.e, for flights on Feb. 1 for silvers, Feb. 1 or 2 for golds, etc.). I suspect in that case you’d keep the upgrade, but would get pulled off the list once your status drops if you don’t get it beforehand. ,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.