Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What happens when dropping status levels – E+ access, upgrade priority & similar Qs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2017, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
In general, status at the time of travel ( or changing awards) is what matters.
-- bag waiver, boarding group, upgrade priority, award fee waivers, ...

Your status at booking does not carry over -- with one significant exception.
If you use your status at booking to get E+ access, but then drop to silver or general member, you will not automatically lose your E+ seats. They will stick until a seating sweep event occurs (such as aircraft change, some schedule changes, ...)

Cleared upgrades would not be affected but waitlists are dynamically based on real-time status

PlusPoints can only be use for segments departing prior to expiration. Partially exception -- trip with connecting segments, segment 1 is before midnight 31 Jan local trip but segment 2 (if a valid connection but not a stop) is after midnight, the PlusPoints can be applied to both segments as a single trip.

Archive thread: What happens when dropping status levels – E+ access, upgrade priority & .. {Archive}
Print Wikipost

What happens when dropping status levels – E+ access, upgrade priority & similar Qs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2023, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
When people move up in status (general -> silver, silver -> gold, etc.) they have to remove and re-apply any upgrade requests to get them noted at the higher level. The same wisdom applies for those going in reverse order and tumbling down the elite level hierarchy. Without removing the request you should remain "as is" based on the elite level you were when the request was put in. The system does not proactively re-check status in the background. Now, if something goes wrong with your flight and you are somehow forced to re-apply an upgrade request then it will be slotted in at the current elite level. So on Jan 31 still 1K (for OP). On Feb 1 then whatever lower level would apply.

-RM
SPN Lifer, opusx100 and 8MiHi like this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jcturnbull
FWIW when I made a MUA request as a gold it did not update when I hit platinum. An agent told me the system still saw the priority as Gold.
Hoping that the reverse is true as well
Old Jan 20, 2023, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Report back!
Old Jan 21, 2023, 8:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by iapetus
Report back!
Will certainly do so.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 10:40 am

Expiring 1K - keep ticketed economy plus or not?

Got 1K by traveling for work in 2019 and have been extended since, but flew 0 times since. Pandemic and having baby will do that!

But I actually have two upcoming trips booked/ticketed with cash (not miles), any data points on if will be able to keep economy plus or not?

First trip is in early February for just me. Second is in November for myself and 4 others, all with free economy plus due to 1K status. That is one I’m most worried about ….

I searched and found one old thread from 2011, hoping there are more recent data points. Thanks !
Old Jan 22, 2023, 10:43 am

You will keep it unless the plane changes and they reassign seats.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Are you sure they haven't extended you again?

Regardless, seat assignments should stick unless there's some reason for UA to take a look at them - e.g., aircraft swap or someone brings it to their attention.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 11:00 am

United app says 1K through January 2023. In US, did not fly at all in past three years, so United probably doesn’t think much of me! Ha

thanks for help - fingers crossed no changes. November is ORD to HNL on 787. Not sure if that helps or hurts with any possible equipment changes
Old Jan 28, 2023, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
My friend GS status expires 1/31.

He booked several XN ticket to Europe for May family travel and applied PP to waitlist for Polaris.

This will stick right? Will he still be near top of the waitlist?

Higher than 1K using PP?
Old Jan 28, 2023, 11:08 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kb1992
My friend GS status expires 1/31.

He booked several XN ticket to Europe for May family travel and applied PP to waitlist for Polaris.

This will stick right? Will he still be near top of the waitlist?

Higher than 1K using PP?
The PN request should stick but will be waitlist at new status on the PN list.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The PN request should stick but will be waitlist at new status on the PN list.

PN list is usually short (all pax sponsored by GS PP).

An 1K using GS PP should be near the top.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
When people move up in status (general -> silver, silver -> gold, etc.) they have to remove and re-apply any upgrade requests to get them noted at the higher level. The same wisdom applies for those going in reverse order and tumbling down the elite level hierarchy. Without removing the request you should remain "as is" based on the elite level you were when the request was put in. The system does not proactively re-check status in the background. Now, if something goes wrong with your flight and you are somehow forced to re-apply an upgrade request then it will be slotted in at the current elite level. So on Jan 31 still 1K (for OP). On Feb 1 then whatever lower level would apply.

-RM
As a 1K now, my wife has an international trip waitlisted for Polaris using my PPs. When I hit MM before her trip, and she becomes 1K as my MM companion, sounds like we'll need to remove and reply the PP upgrade request assuming she hasn't cleared yet. Practical question: easier to do this on the 1K line or just online (remove and reply PP upgrade request)?
Old Jan 31, 2023, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jonu
As a 1K now, my wife has an international trip waitlisted for Polaris using my PPs. When I hit MM before her trip, and she becomes 1K as my MM companion, sounds like we'll need to remove and reply the PP upgrade request assuming she hasn't cleared yet. Practical question: easier to do this on the 1K line or just online (remove and reply PP upgrade request)?
Online, as long as no segment is upgraded.
SPN Lifer and jonu like this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by jonu
Very few reports of issues with PlusPoints online so that would be the quickest way. But calling 1K line will be fast as well. Do note that if any segment has already cleared then you won't be able to remove the PlusPoints online and would have to call in anyway. And the segment that cleared will go back to being waitlisted unless PZ opens immediately.

-RM
jonu likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 9:07 am

United Club Access for Star Alliance Gold

Does the elite status need to be valid on the date of entry into the lounge, or just valid on the date of booking the ticket. I've noticed that bag fees are waived if status exists at time of booking, wasn't sure about lounge access.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 24, 2023 at 12:54 pm Reason: While is thread is about UA status, same principals apply, status at time of travel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.