Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Rumor]p.s. service is ending{UA - premium EWR-SFO/LAX continues–no word on branding}

Old Jan 24, 2017, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi all, not to worry, we continue to offer our premium transcon experience on the EWR – SFO/LAX flights
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I chatted with UA Insider earlier today. He told me--

The premium trans-con markets we operate between EWR and SFO and LAX are not going away. We will continue to offer the enhanced service on those flights.
In a follow-up phone call, he indicated things like premium meals, lie-flat beds, menus, and amenity kits would remain.

No decision has been made whether the service might be renamed Polaris. Everything is still under consideration.

More details on my blog.

FA told me yesterday this info about p.s. going away showed up on one of her FB groups. Would love to see the original source.
Print Wikipost

[Rumor]p.s. service is ending{UA - premium EWR-SFO/LAX continues–no word on branding}

Old Jan 22, 2017, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver

I was told this definitively by a lounge agent-- it will become standard domestic F. She admitted it will not be good for UA vs. B6 and other competitors.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 24, 2017 at 7:02 pm Reason: Clarify title
Old Jan 22, 2017, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
If I were a betting man, I would bet that PS ending just means that Polaris will end up taking its place. While possible, I highly doubt UA would just give up on the premium fares the route can demand.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by flyerCO
If I were a betting man, I would bet that PS ending just means that Polaris will end up taking its place. While possible, I highly doubt UA would just give up on the premium fares the route can demand.
+1
I would bet it simply means that UA is retiring the p.s. moniker. I'm sure it will continue to have a differentiated service probably via the Polaris label.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
This would us back in the same pickle about using GPU for combine TATL/TPAC and cross country trips
Old Jan 22, 2017, 5:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I wonder if this is confusion (by the agent) with the change of calling PS Business as BF vs now as just Business. And not using the Polaris moniker. Agents tend not to be involved in strategy planning.

It is totally unbelievable UA will take the lie-flat service away from EWR<>SFO/LAX. That would be a competitive disaster.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
If it does go to Polaris naming, J PAX getting Polaris lounge access would be nice.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 5:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
I was told this definitively by a lounge agent
A rumor being spread by the completely uninformed. Gotta love employees who have no clue was't going on yet still spread rumors as "fact".
Old Jan 22, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
+1
I would bet it simply means that UA is retiring the p.s. moniker. I'm sure it will continue to have a differentiated service probably via the Polaris label.
We heard about a projected 2Q launch of certain Polaris service elements on the premium transcons. I'm guessing this will include serviceware, plates, linens, wine flights and maybe the mimosa/Bloody Mary carts on brunch flights. Current p.s. has Polaris large pillow and duvet, plus a Polaris-style meal service.

Biggest question will be w/r/t lounge access... it will seem a bit incongruous if the product is called Polaris but isn't eligible for the Polaris lounge.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

It would be nice if p.s. ending meant transcon Polaris. But she was quite clear and confident that p.s. was going to end this year.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

It will take awhile for them to retrofit those 757s. I'm also quite sick of the same red meat being portrayed with different sauces. Bring us the A350s!!
Old Jan 22, 2017, 5:41 pm

Agree. Every hour they leave and I would say 95% of the time those seats are sold. I don't see many upgrades.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Removing lie flat beds doesn't make sense as AA and DL have this. It would be sense to re-brand for consistency.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

My friend who works at United just texted "I heard that too -- domestic F".
Old Jan 22, 2017, 5:56 pm

Well the 28J 'PS exclusive' 757s are slated to exit by the end of next year when they hit a fuel tank retrofit deadline.

It may be something related to the timing of that.

How they replace it....lots of possibilities in the current environment and I'm sure Kirby has ideas given his look at the AA performance.

Everyone matching JetBlue's $600 range one way fares year round isn't something UA, AA, or DL planned on when they made their investments in lie flat products on these routes.

Maybe they go to subbing in more widebodies and 16J 757s until those have a replacement, basically what Delta has been doing.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 6:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
My friend who works at United just texted "I heard that too -- domestic F".
Well, my father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate says it won't happen.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.