Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Companion Pre-Check removed when reservation split?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2017, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver

SO and I are in the middle of going LAS-LAX-SFO-LAS this weekend. He didn't have Pre-Check for some reason yesterday and after checking us in for today's, it is missing again. He just flew a few weeks ago without me and had it, so I'm wondering if it somehow got removed when I split the record on check in yesterday. Called Gold line and they say it is showing on their end, but the woman wasn't particularly helpful and told me to "ask the TSA" 😒. Is this a known issue?
Old Jan 21, 2017, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by horse glasses
SO and I are in the middle of going LAS-LAX-SFO-LAS this weekend. He didn't have Pre-Check for some reason yesterday and after checking us in for today's, it is missing again. He just flew a few weeks ago without me and had it, so I'm wondering if it somehow got removed when I split the record on check in yesterday. Called Gold line and they say it is showing on their end, but the woman wasn't particularly helpful and told me to "ask the TSA" ��. Is this a known issue?
The TSA determines who gets PreCheck, not United. It is not a United benefit of any kind. United does not decide who is a low threat for the TSA. That being said, being a frequent flyer of United means the TSA is more likely to grant PreCheck. There's nothing for United to "fix", so calling United is a waste of time. If you want more reliable PreCheck, it's only $85 for 5 years.

I am certainly not in the loop on how the TSA works, but splitting the record may have separated your SO from a low-threat traveler (you), so the TSA did not grant him PreCheck. Once a PNR is split, it cannot be re-joined and there is nothing UA can do relative to granting PreCheck..

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 21, 2017 at 11:32 am
Old Jan 21, 2017, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And TSA says Pre-Check is not guaranteed, even for the people who pay the money, though very rare for them to miss it.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
if you ever fly internationally, it's a better deal to pay $100 for Global Entry, which also includes PreCheck.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver
We both have Global Entry and have for years, I should have specified. This is the first time this has ever happened so it seems like a bug of some kind.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
We both have Global Entry and have for years, I should have specified. This is the first time this has ever happened so it seems like a bug of some kind.
PreCheck isn't guaranteed, even if you pay for it (or GE). Not getting it should be a fairly rare. United will tell you if your TT# is in the record (and it appears it was), but the TSA determines the random "No PreCheck, this time".
Old Jan 21, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1k, HH Diamond
Get on twitter and tweet both @AskTSA @united - @AskTSA will reply and tell you to follow them (if you aren't already), then DM then with your confirmation number, KTN, DOB and they will check things on their end with united.

I've had it happen a few times where my DOB didn't line up with my KTN which caused my pre-check to not show up - quick fix on their end and re-checked and it showed up.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 1:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Try re-checking in. That sometimes will restore the PreCheck. And try again at the airport kiosk.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Is his KTN in the traveler info in your account?
Old Jan 21, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA-plat, HH-Diamond, Marriott-gold
I have had this happen also and was told it was because of splitting the PNR
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:22 pm

My experience with this issue tells me it must a bug with UA software and has nothing to do with TSA. Both my girlfriend and I have Global Entry/precheck.

1) Over 40 flights when we kept the PNR together, we both were precheck 100% of the time.

2) Out of 5 RTs where we split the PNR, I was precheck 100% of the time and she was NOT precheck 100% of the time (even though she has her own Trusted Traveler number). I verified each time that her trusted traveler number was in her UA account and in my UA account (and that they match).

So what else other than a UA software glitch could explain this pattern? I don't think "TSA doesn't guarantee precheck" explains it to this degree. I think that UA software is not programmed to send the newly created PNR to TSA to see if that passenger has precheck and automatically assumes they do not. This could easily be corrected.

Does anyone have evidence that this issue has been fixed?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by sammyj
My experience with this issue tells me it must a bug with UA software and has nothing to do with TSA. Both my girlfriend and I have Global Entry/precheck.

1) Over 40 flights when we kept the PNR together, we both were precheck 100% of the time.

2) Out of 5 RTs where we split the PNR, I was precheck 100% of the time and she was NOT precheck 100% of the time (even though she has her own Trusted Traveler number). I verified each time that her trusted traveler number was in her UA account and in my UA account (and that they match).

So what else other than a UA software glitch could explain this pattern? I don't think "TSA doesn't guarantee precheck" explains it to this degree. I think that UA software is not programmed to send the newly created PNR to TSA to see if that passenger has precheck and automatically assumes they do not. This could easily be corrected.

There is nothing to fix.
Both my +1 and I are 1Ks. I have Precheck she does not. On combined PNRs she is zero for precheck on separate PNRs she is 3 for 9 most likely due to age.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by sammyj
I split a PNR back in July. Both me and my companion have global entry. The companion kept pre-check. That was my only multi-party PNR this year, though, so not sure whether that was typical.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I've split the PNR many times while traveling with my wife, and never has she lost her pre-check. It's on her profile and stays there.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
I've split the PNR many times while traveling with my wife, and never has she lost her pre-check. .....
Same here (and no TT number, status only because my MMer companion) -- so we don't sweat split PNRs.

BTW, she gets Precheck on separately booked reservations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.