Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2018, 11:04 pm

Enough with the complaining about "fake disabilities." I'm 40-ish and don't look real sick, and I often use wheelchairs to get onto a plane but not off. Why? My problem is called POTS - postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. That means when I stand, my heart rate flies off the handle. But I can walk fine for a block or two. So waiting in lines at security and in the jetway can render me unconscious. But I can walk off the plane just fine. So you may have seen me and decided I was a faker. But in reality, I spent years suffering and not using wheelchairs in airports because of the stigma and my own denial. (I was very healthy and active until a few years ago.) So while you steam about someone cheating the system, it's just as likely someone who needs a wheelchair is not using one.
Pat89339 and HGHUA like this.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 12:14 am
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by UAzip

AA's group numbers changed a little while back. Old Group 1 became Group 5. Groups like ExPlat, First Class, etc. that were boarded before Group 1 are now groups with numbers 1-4. More fine-grained, but doesn't allow queuing in chutes far ahead unless there were 9 chutes. Credit cards on AA used to be Group 1 but are now Group 5, still "Priority boarding" but explaining that Group 5 is priority is a little weird. Groups 1-4 do not necessarily have tons of people on each flight, but some do have tons. Equivalent on UA would be like moving Global Services to its own group number and shifting all the other numbers downward.
Something like that would be ideal, but as you said, I don't think Chase would be too happy about it's members having a group 5 "priority" boarding.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mr8
Something like that would be ideal, but as you said, I don't think Chase would be too happy about it's members having a group 5 "priority" boarding.
Ok call it group two and three-quarters then.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by HGHUA
Ok call it group two and three-quarters then.
naw, 2.7182818...

David
Old Feb 17, 2018, 9:39 am
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
t
Originally Posted by DELee
naw, 2.7182818...

David
Dr.Euler should ALWAYS be THE first to board!

Last edited by Zip; Feb 17, 2018 at 9:41 am Reason: spell error
Old Feb 17, 2018, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by findark
I really wish they would do this because it completely eliminates gate lice. The boarding process is one of my favorite things about flying WN. And it's not that hard to leave large gaps in the numbering to accommodate late-booking or SDCing elites, etc. Just do the current boarding groups and order within them by checkin time, or even further split by status (e.g. Group 1 is now Group A, and A1-20 is for F, A21-50 is for 1Ks in Y, and A51-99 is Plats in Y, or similar).

But I agree it would go over poorly with too many pax.
On Southwest, let's say the first stanchion says 1-15. Does everyone with 1-15 just line up there first come, or does say A7 come to an assembled group, start inspecting boarding passes, and stand ahead of A8, 10, etc?
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
The latter, although I'm not sure if 1-15 has a stanchion. The stanchion has the numbers separated by 5s, so it would say <16-20, 21-25> So, each "line" has five people in it who must order themselves numerically.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by diburning
The latter, although I'm not sure if 1-15 has a stanchion. The stanchion has the numbers separated by 5s, so it would say <16-20, 21-25> So, each "line" has five people in it who must order themselves numerically.
Yes, this. The etiquette is very much in favor of self-policing - not at all uncommon for a polite "what's your number?" to determine where to stand. And of course no one stands until boarding is called.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Boarding pass both printed and in the app has “1K” printed in the group number box. Flying out of LAX this afternoon and first time I’ve seen that. I flew out of LAX three times last week and all three times had Group 1.

Last edited by slippahs; Feb 19, 2018 at 7:46 am
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by slippahs
Boarding pass both printed and in the app has “1K” printed in the group number box. Flying out of LAX this afternoon and first time I’ve seen that. I flew out of LAX three times last week and all three times had Group 1.
Very interesting. You are the first person to post here about the new trial policy actually being put into action.

As a Platinum member I find this very discouraging. I'm flying out of LAX next week and will probably be boarding after 1Ks. I know 1Ks are happy about this but folks like me are less likely to pursue Platinum status if it yields no benefit. It certainly does nothing for upgrades.

But does this mean that Group 1 will only have Platinum members in it? Or will they be rearranging the other groups accordingly?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by slippahs
Can I ask the route? Will have a flight out Wedn and interested if it'll be a similar trial/result.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA GS
Experienced the new procedures last night at LAX. GS was the 4th group called. Did not hear if 1K and FC got a separate preboard call, but if so, there would have been a long pause because I was fully seated before the next passenger boarded.

Interestingly, a couple in front of me, with 1K printed on their boarding passes, were ejected when trying to poach in the GS preboard call.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Experienced the new procedures last night at LAX. GS was the 4th group called. Did not hear if 1K and FC got a separate preboard call, but if so, there would have been a long pause because I was fully seated before the next passenger boarded.

Interestingly, a couple in front of me, with 1K printed on their boarding passes, were ejected when trying to poach in the GS preboard call.
Where did they end up coming in after you were seated? The end of the 1Ks?

David
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:23 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LAXOGG

By GS being 4th group called, I assume you mean 4th after military, disabilities, and families with kids under 2 right? I would guess group "1K" would be right after GS, unless theres a different group for F pax before "1K", and group "1K" is just for 1K's in Y?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]

Bp
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Can I ask the route? Will have a flight out Wedn and interested if it'll be a similar trial/result.
HNL.

The process was was very clunky today. Boarded all the usual preboards, paused, then asked for 1Ks to board. I heard the GAs asking whether it was worth it because there were “only 7 1Ks.” The 1Ks in the group 1 line bolted for the scanner once 1Ks were asked to board. I was probably the only 1K not to clear thanks to a late booking, and when boarding, the scanner read an error, something about group 4 not being allowed to board. I suppose that’s a function of not being cleared to first and my group reading “1K.”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.