Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Pretty sure Plats have been in BG1 since the merger...
Yeah, my bad - I meant Golds. Accomplishes more (since G>P) of the same result.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
The work ethic in Japan vs the USA can't really be compared, it's like comparing an apple to a wrench.
Well, since I saw this executed perfectly and similarly at widebody gates at GRU with the same attributes, I’d challenge that. Unless you want to equate the Japan work ethic to that in Brazil.

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
FYI - I came across facts that contradict that assumption. UA did at least 'try' to test boarding 1Ks (and first) ahead of Group 1 - almost a year ago.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29171611-post126.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29171266-post123.html

We don't know what other iterations may have been tested before or since as the Flyertalk reporting sample size isn't significant.
Interesting in a odd one off kind of way. But one element of this (the two lanes) was tested extensively and properly, and consequently was executed pretty much perfectly. The other, well, was not, and the execution shows.

It will work itself out in six months or so. But it sure would have been nice had it hit the ground properly on day one. The two lane setup proves it was possible.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
So my first time traveling since the new boarding process and like a dolt I stood in BG1 (for the first leg) and was surprised when they called 1K to pre board, so that meant getting under the divider to join the myriad of 1K folks getting on the plane.

Not sure it is worth an extra PQD of $3k for the pleasure. Felt a bit silly really but was able to find room in the overhead above my seat since I had 1A. Blocked for the poor mother trying to get her young baby out of the baby carrier as 1K folks in front of me went charging past her in their hurry to get on the plane. I think they should preboard the children under two before GS as think the GS folks may have better manners than those displayed by my fellow 1K travelers today.

Am sure I can "live" with the " embarrassment" of pre-boarding.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:12 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
So my first time traveling since the new boarding process and like a dolt I stood in BG1 (for the first leg) and was surprised when they called 1K to pre board, so that meant getting under the divider to join the myriad of 1K folks getting on the plane.

Not sure it is worth an extra PQD of $3k for the pleasure. Felt a bit silly really but was able to find room in the overhead above my seat since I had 1A. Blocked for the poor mother trying to get her young baby out of the baby carrier as 1K folks in front of me went charging past her in their hurry to get on the plane. I think they should preboard the children under two before GS as think the GS folks may have better manners than those displayed by my fellow 1K travelers today.

Am sure I can "live" with the " embarrassment" of pre-boarding.
Every time so far I've experienced it, I have watched in dismay as the BG1 line swells and stretches down the terminal, wondering if I made a big mistake not queuing up and if the GA will remember to preboard 1Ks. So far, however, they've all made the proper announcement, and there were enough 1Ks on those flights that they didn't segue immediately into BG1 before I had a chance to reach the GA.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by eng3
EWR-NRT: Group 1/2 lines very long, basically circling the gate area becoming a general mob of people. I listened during preboarding as they called, GS, disabled, military, then moved on to Group 1 skipping 1K.
Originally Posted by chebert999
Tuesday on UA79 EWR to NRT. I got to the gate and the group 1 line is like 100 ppl long. I put myself in line. They called GS who were next to the podium waiting. Then BG1. No family military 1K etc. 90% ppl in the G1 line were not in group 1. It was very chaotic.
How is this even still possible?

At EWR they should now have a pre-board monitor, explaining who can pre-board and in what order. Although it's only in English, so not universally understood.

On my most recent trip EWR-PEK this week they had a little area cordoned off, into which they corralled all the "privileged" pre-boarders. I don't believe they made any announcement of the pre-boarding, unless I missed it.
I think they cordoned the pre-boarders off like this, so BG1 doesn't start boarding prematurely.

Hard to comprehend how they can be so inconsistent. They could just play the recorded announcement, no?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
OGG-SFO Thursday night - no GS and I assume one idiot 1K at end of BG1(me). Flight got in about 5 minutes late for my 40 minute connection to IAH, so just had time to head loo and be among the last to board. I would’ve enjoyed watching the scrum. I was #9 on waitlist w/ a GPU. Process worked fine for me. Even stowed a bag boarding w/ BG4.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I think they should preboard the children under two before GS as think the GS folks may have better manners than those displayed by my fellow 1K travelers today.
We could get into a DYKWIA situation..

Originally Posted by exerda
Every time so far I've experienced it, I have watched in dismay as the BG1 line swells and stretches down the terminal, wondering if I made a big mistake not queuing up and if the GA will remember to preboard 1Ks. So far, however, they've all made the proper announcement, and there were enough 1Ks on those flights that they didn't segue immediately into BG1 before I had a chance to reach the GA.
Prior to pre-boarding, go up to the GAs and politely ask them ask where they'd like 1Ks to be for pre-boarding. This a) reminds them that there's at least 1K and b) you find out if they intend to call 1Ks during pre-boarding.

David
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
BOS-SFO-PEK (October 18)

Arrived at gate is right at scheduled boarding time: at BOS, the boarding line was already near the end of BG1; at SFO, BG2 boarding was nearly complete. Either:

1) little to no 1K or above pax (nearly impossible)
2) orderly boarding process
3) early boarding time

#2 and #3 are likely, especially for the SFO-PEK segment.

By the way, this connection is about as tight as possible for D to I. Boarding time for the SFO-PEK flight are basically the general arrival time of the BOS-SFO flight.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL

Special line for 1K (BG1 in center;BG2 ton left)
Originally Posted by eng3
EWR-NRT: Group 1/2 lines very long, basically circling the gate area becoming a general mob of people. I listened during preboarding as they called, GS, disabled, military, then moved on to Group 1 skipping 1K. While boarding group 1, people (some in the group 1 line) would just walk straight up to the podium. The person infront of me was clearly Group 3 but still allowed to board.

NRT-SFO: Group 1/2 line but a separate 1K line. Lines were very clear and well organized. Called GS, disabled, military, Then 1K.
Very similar for IAD-NRT and vv. IAD is a total mess in C/D for any widebody flight. G1 line was doubling back on itself, blocking the group 2 line, as well as the G1/G2 lines for the adjacent gate (the signs for which confused some people). They did call in correct order, but just a total mess.

At NRT, where there's much more room (UA gates all dedicated to widebodies), it was orderly. Easy to find G1 line, and there was a 1K corral in the front, with a separate line. Called GS, special folks, then 1K. Agents went through G1 line to look at passports and BPs and even told one person she wasn't G1 and would need to wait.

Originally Posted by warrenw
Honestly, I blame slow boarding on draconian baggage policies.
Arguably, more draconian policies would make it better. It's a combination of charging (although this can't explain international) and not enforcing limits aggressively on carryons, as well as having generous limits. If the charged, but placed strict limits on cabin baggage, and made it stick, then boarding delays would turn into gate-check-and-charge delays but with those folks out of the way of the boarding process.

Last edited by drewguy; Oct 19, 2018 at 4:55 pm
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
I’ve taken four United flights in the last week and and enjoy standing in line 2 of the new system courtesy of my Explorer card. Actually, the whole experience all around was pleasant, from the app to the staff and everything inbetween. One question though, if someone in say 3 inadvertently lines up in 1 or 2, does the machine not accept the boarding pass at the time?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by vanillabean
I’ve taken four United flights in the last week and and enjoy standing in line 2 of the new system courtesy of my Explorer card. Actually, the whole experience all around was pleasant, from the app to the staff and everything inbetween. One question though, if someone in say 3 inadvertently lines up in 1 or 2, does the machine not accept the boarding pass at the time?
Yes, the machine does not accept the boarding pass. Some gate agents ask the passengers to wait for their turn. Some gate agents let the passengers go even if it's not their turn, they just click a button on their computer or screen.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Three observations from the weekend.

1) I was the only 1K that stepped forward to pre-board PDX-EWR on Friday. That was after three pax with disabilities/injuries with crutches, and one active military with ID (he had is ID in hand).

2) Some people are still gaming the “families with children aged 2 and under” boarding. A family barged to the front, to which I asked the mother “which of your kids is 2”? They were at least 7 or 8. The gate agent let them on.

3) They missed out the 1K call at MIA yesterday, though that was more because the first agent had got as far as “2 and under” then had to go down the jet bridge to check on the wheelchair pax. When she returned her coworker called Group 1. It wasn’t much of a problem because those of us that stepped ahead of GRP1 were GRP1 anyway.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 6:32 pm
Suspended

as a 1K here I was expecting to board with the GS.....but they called right before Group 1....on my flights this week I was no more than 10 steps on the jetway before group 1 was called....
Old Oct 28, 2018, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by sanfran8080
as a 1K here I was expecting to board with the GS.....but they called right before Group 1....on my flights this week I was no more than 10 steps on the jetway before group 1 was called....
Is there an issue with that? Preboarding has concluded.

1K is part of the new preboarding process but boards after GS.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 6:48 pm
Suspended

yeah there's an issue.....but I'm biased....when GS boards they wait about a few minutes to resume....when 1K boards the GA wait about 5 seconds before resuming....how is this a benefit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.