Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Which unfortunately is incorrect. Families with children two and under are supposed to board before 1k's.
I know, that’s why I liked it so much ; )
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Gotta admit I'm still on the fence about the new process. But that could be because my most recent flights have been on "unusual" routes for me, so it might just be more-or-less business as usual on those, and I wouldn't really know.

* CLE-MCO: Insanely "families with children 2-" heavy, and so the gate area was just a mosh pit of wandering and crying kids, along with 1Ks and GS hanging out near~ish, but not quite in, the Group 1 Line, and still nobody could get through when the preboards were called because the Group 1 line (in CLE) ran right next to a pillar on the concourse. It was a zoo.

* FLL-EWR: For whatever reason, gate agent decided to board the flight a full 10 minutes early. They were on Group 3 before I even got to the gate (still 5 minutes prior to scheduled boarding time) from the temporary club location, and the Group 1 line had a pile-up of Pre-Group-3 pax, that they were trying to waffle-weave together with the Group 2 line pax, onto a jam-packed jetway.

But with some of my "usual" routes scattered in, where the process went smoothly, I think I'm still generally on the fence here. Under the 5-line model, everybody had a place to go to. Under the new model, one tour group standing around in the concourse, or the GA announcing groups too quickly or starting the boarding process early, and you suddenly have a snarl of everyone trying to be in the same place at the same time, with no great way to resolve that other than a single giant queue...

I think UA might be fighting an up-hill battle against human nature here. As everyone gets used to the new process, I think we're just going to see the core problem getting shoved ~15-feet away from the gate, as people no longer crowd into the boarding lanes, and now jockey for position near the entrance of the Group 2 (or 1) line, to be the first up the lane when their group is called. *shrug* No great solution here.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
I'm not sure if this belongs here or the DYKWIA thread, but here goes. Yesterday on ORD-BOS:
GA calls for passengers with disabilities. No takers.
GA calls for military. No takers.
GA calls for GS. I was hanging about 15 feet back, and walk leisurely towards the podium with one other behind me.
A pax barges out from the Group 1 line, cuts in front of me, and hands the GA his BP. I could clearly see, "PREMIER 1K." The scanner beeps and turns red. The GA says, "Are you willing and able to help in the emergency row?" He grunts and jogs into the jetway.
GA looks at him and rolls her eyes as he rushes to the plane. She then shrugs her shoulders, looks at me, scans my BP, and says, "Thanks for being GS."
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Darlox
Gotta admit I'm still on the fence about the new process.
Likewise.... I now just often board LAST. I check my bags, my sear of choice is exit row aisle, and my carry-on is usually just a small brief case that I usually need during the flight anyways. I know this bucks up against what some people would say is ideal but it has worked for me. I want to spend as little time in the metalic tube as possible.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA AA
Room being taken up by electronics.

Originally Posted by jsloan
...?

So, you're saying that you routinely violate UA policy by bringing on an oversized personal item, and, as a result, you inconvenience other passengers by taking additional overhead space, as you're unable to use the space in front of your seat?
This is an issue with some seats, the electronics for chargers, etc take up quite a bit of space. Hence the reason the person stated Aisle. Windows / Middles may have more under-seat room.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: united southwest
Just did a SFO-KIX (Osaka) and HND (Tokyo) - SFO

At SFO they never called 1K specifically, I hung around and wandered up -- and they said 'yes, you can board now'

At HND, they actually has a separate line -- and they specifically called up Global Services and 1K for that line. Although it seemed most GS just hung around like usual -- and got on first. Then once all the other pre-board groups were called, they let the "line" of 1K pre-board. So it was just like it has always been, except that there was a 1K line (with about 25 folks) that went ahead of Group 1.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:28 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Pre-boarding has been working for me at various airports, but had an interesting experience at IAH last night. My upgrade cleared on a SDC a few minutes before the flight boarded, so I asked the gate agent if I could just wait around there to pre-board when I went to pickup my new boarding, but was strictly told that pre-board was for military and GS only and I would have to go to the back of the group 1 line.

IMO, it would be great if they would just print "pre-board" on boarding passes for GS/1K and pax with infants and pax with valid military papers/ID. Would make things easier for everyone including the gate agents who don't keep up with the airline's boarding processes...
Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Flying SDF-IAH: Gate agent calls: "1K and Global Services"
The 1Ks rush the gate..

Sure, maybe I was the only GS on that flight but still..
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
IAH today - called in the right order. However a 1k was first to board citing “1K!” ahead of disabled, military and me and the other GS. Oh well.

My favorite is people who trot out Global Entry cards and pre board with GS.

Getting better - but generally pre boarding is a zoo at hubs still.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by TexasAggie02
IAH today - called in the right order. However a 1k was first to board citing “1K!” ahead of disabled, military and me and the other GS. Oh well.

My favorite is people who trot out Global Entry cards and pre board with GS.

Getting better - but generally pre boarding is a zoo at hubs still.
Naw - it's just IAH...

David
Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:11 am

Saw a couple of people flash their Global Entry cards at SAT in an attempt to pre-board but the GA caught that mistake/ruse.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by JetAway
Saw a couple of people flash their Global Entry cards at SAT in an attempt to pre-board but the GA caught that mistake/ruse.
I've seen it a few times (never in SAT which is my home airport) but usually in IAH and it typically works - depends if the GA cares or not.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by TexasAggie02
I've seen it a few times (never in SAT which is my home airport) but usually in IAH and it typically works - depends if the GA cares or not.
Lol...should I ever drop below 1K I guess I know how to pre-board now.
Kinda sad, shouldn't GA's care about GS? Shouldn't that be one of the most important cares that they have? Apart from D-0 of course lol.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Lol...should I ever drop below 1K I guess I know how to pre-board now.
Kinda sad, shouldn't GA's care about GS? Shouldn't that be one of the most important cares that they have?
Apart from D-0 of course lol.
It seems like in this thread there's an implicit understanding that the D-0 push encourages GAs to rush through the group announcement. I can imagine that it does, in fact, encourage them to do so.

But does that way of calling groups actually speed up the boarding? Would we be best off having bum-rush boarding if all we care about is D-0?
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fumje
It seems like in this thread there's an implicit understanding that the D-0 push encourages GAs to rush through the group announcement. I can imagine that it does, in fact, encourage them to do so.

But does that way of calling groups actually speed up the boarding? Would we be best off having bum-rush boarding if all we care about is D-0?
But they've started boarding 5 minutes earlier, so they have more than compensated for the extra time needed for the addition of the 1K subgroup pause. The same number of people are boarding the plane, so the only extra time should be that pause.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.