Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:03 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Bonehead

Sure hope this does not become a common occurrence. The FAs need to be more vigilant, obviously. It would also help if the preboarding 1Ks would display a bit more consideration.
And the mid-tiers who board ahead of first class too.

No no crew bags above first on that flight....the closet on the front right was open and full of crew bags.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Way to keep the 1Ks in line from jamming up! You did everyone a big favor. Hey, I think I'll do that too
I wasn’t really trying to poach a spot. The continued blending of Group 1 line will create a slowdown as everyone has to have a quick Q&A with each other to see who is entitled to board next.

Originally Posted by chavala
There was no way to stand aside to let the pre-boards pass?
It was a narrow lane, so not really. Git yer own line! ;-)

Originally Posted by seanp7
This is why 1K's should get out of the Zone 1 boarding queue and become GS-style 'hoverers' - and a good Gate Agent (like I had last week) should make a pre-board announcement for this and use the ropes, etc. Space permitting, of course.
I have no issue with 1Ks going before plats. If it’s efficient.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kokonutz
...Yesterday I booked $4,000 worth of domestic f tickets...on AA where Paid F can board with top tier elites and choose their meal in advance. Patting self on back for that decision today.
Hey, Mr. Full Fare Ticket, why don’t you just cancel the rest of your booked United flights? There’s no cancellation fee on your full-fare tickets.

I’m boarding my first flight in about 2 hours since new policy came out. I’ll be at end of BG2 and can hardly wait to see what the end of the world feels like 😮

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 25, 2018 at 2:55 pm
Old Sep 25, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: United, AA,
It is interesting to see the comments from 1K's about pre-boarding when Million Mile Flyers do not get any special treatment above Gold status.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

Hey, Mr. Full Fare Ticket, why don’t you just cancel the rest of your booked United flights? There’s no cancellation fee on your full-fare tickets.

I’m boarding my first flight in about 2 hours since new policy came out. I’ll be at end of BG2 and can hardly wait to see what the end of the world feels like 😮
Imma ignore your snark and answer your question in good faith.

This ticket was too late to change.

My last ticket is paired paired with my wife’s FC award ticket.

Why are you boarding at the end of group 2? I thought you are a 1k.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Yaleflyer
It is interesting to see the comments from 1K's about pre-boarding when Million Mile Flyers do not get any special treatment above Gold status.
IMO it's a completely different ballgame -- active status (e.g. a continued, [usually] mutually beneficial business relationship between the 1K flyer and United with a relatively substantial current business value) versus passive status (e.g. you gave UA business over some period of time and they're throwing you a bone that in no way reflects your current business value and you could have spent $0-$8,999 and flown 0-74,999 PQM on UA in the recent past)

Honestly (and still IMO) lifetime gold is a pretty generous benefit/special treatment to dole out with no recurring qualification criteria attached... and treating lifetime Gold above current 1K is a great way to disincentivize a key revenue group

Lincoln
(currently at 0.6MM but not holding my breath)
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Yaleflyer
1MM (Gold) got arguably the biggest improvement from these changes, even better than 1K.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Why are you boarding at the end of group 2? I thought you are a 1k.
The same reason I waited until the very end of boarding last Thursday (I was the very last to board on one flight and still found room for my rollaboard in F); I wanted to see if the predicted "boarding apocalypse" would come to pass. In my case, it did not.

Serious question for you:
Why are you having to regularly take the horrible CRJs and ERJs? I avoid those planes at all costs and will take a longer layover to avoid a routing on UAX. Of course, if I go to MRY or ASE, I don't have much choice, but DCA has tons of mainline flights, especially since you're agnostic on carriers.

Last edited by zombietooth; Sep 25, 2018 at 10:00 pm
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth
The same reason I waited until the very end of boarding last Thursday (I was the very last to board on one flight and still found room for my rollaboard in F); I wanted to see if the predicted "boarding apocalypse" would come to pass. In my case, it did not.
not doubting you, but this is so far from my typical experience on UA that I don’t even recognize it. What would you have done if (as I have seen many, many times) the FA said ‘sorry, no more room, you need to gate check your carry-on’?

Serious question for you:
Why are having to regularly take the horrible CRJs and ERJs? I avoid those planes at all costs and will take a longer layover to avoid a routing on UAX. Of course, if I go to MRY or ASE, I don't have much choice, but DCA has tons of mainline flights, especially since you're agnostic on carriers.
Because I care more about convenience. Long layovers and needless connections are a waste of time. CRJ/ERJs are not ‘regular’ for me. But I neither seek nor avoid them. I want to get where I am going in a premium cabin as efficiently as possible. So when I fly to Atlanta I take Delta. When I fly to Dallas I take American.

When i have a choice, it comes down to who appreciates my premium fare business more.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I had a flight yesterday out of SFO. As the GA called off passengers with disabilities, I started weaving my way past the other people lingering around the gate to work my way up. One 1K passenger decided he didnt want me going up before him and was actively blocking me in, purposely walking in front of me and cutting me off as I tried to move up. I ended up just letting walking behind him until GA called for GS to preboard, and then promptly went around him as he stopped short of the scanner. I think the process is working out fine, it's just the people that are causing the problem.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
not doubting you, but this is so far from my typical experience on UA that I don’t even recognize it. What would you have done if (as I have seen many, many times) the FA said ‘sorry, no more room, you need to gate check your carry-on’?

It's a typical experience for me domestically. However, most of the time, I am feeding to a hub for an international flight, and bag stowage is definitely not a concern in international J. I like to lallygag around in the Polaris Lounge as long as possible before a long flight and am always very late to the gate.

Since I was conducting an experiment, should there have been no space for me, I would've suffered the consequences with aplomb.

By the way, I don't want to give the impression that I am only flying domestic F. Many times, my GPU clears the international segment and not the domestic, so I do my share of domestic Y flying. All I am saying is that when I am in domestic F, I have never encountered a problem with stowing my bag nearby-and by nearby, I mean within a few rows or so.

Last edited by zombietooth; Sep 25, 2018 at 10:23 pm
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
KOA-LAX boarding today was interesting. Agent in semi-remote air-conditioned booth called out boarding for SFO and LAX flights simultaneously, switching between flights as she called boarding groups. She couldn’t really see what was going on at the gates (esp. gate 1). She called out pre-pre boarders in order, including “our 100,000 customers” and then BG1. It ended up with everyone, pre-boarders and BG1, going out as a clump. They didn’t pull aside BG1 to beat them or anything. Disabled (2 pax) ended up eventually entering a/c thru galley door amidst BG2. KOA uses mobile stairs or ramp and then a lift for disabled. Everyone in F got their bags stored in F, albeit the two in 1AB stored a row or two back.

At LAX, passed gate 80 where they were boarding Monterey and heard GA call out for 1Ks.
Originally Posted by findark
1MM (Gold) got arguably the biggest improvement from these changes, even better than 1K.
If one really thinks about it, the new procedure is just as if 1Ks decided to gate lice at front of BG1 line (without actually having to stand there). Golds get to move up a whole group and can choose to stand at front of BG1line.

Maybe (to appease some), UA ought to just put 1Ks back in BG1, but just call them first within the group

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 26, 2018 at 11:12 pm Reason: overly personal response; discuss the issue, not the poster(s);merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If one really thinks about it, the new procedure is just as if 1Ks decided to gate lice at front of BG1 line (without actually having to stand there). Golds get to move up a whole group and can choose to stand at front of BG1line.

Maybe (to appease some), UA ought to just put 1Ks back in BG1, but just call them first within the group
What this all demonstrates is that UA is just a credit card company that runs an airline as a sideline.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA GS

Or have FC board as the sixth preboard group.
@:-)
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:38 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
I’m loving it.

Flew ORD-PVG UA835 on the 18th and they were all on it with pre-boarding 1K’s. The real trip for me was on the return yesterday UA836 there was a boarding lane labeled “pre-boarding” and I lined up there as a 1K. First time in a LOOONG time wound up boarding first without being in line for 20+ minutes.

I feel like someone at UA has restored 1K to its previous glory (take that for what it is) dating back to the days of DEQM and the secret 1K only website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.