Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
No, falling F prices is resulting in demand going up and generally by quite a bit. It used to be that most F seats were simply used for upgrades. i.e. there was no demand for them. Now, most F seats are actually being sold.
Well, there's still a small organic demand for paid F (people or corps who just don't care about price), and don't forget that a substantial amount of domestic F seats go to paid/upgraded INTL J/F connectors on *A as well every day, especially on domestic flights in or out INTL hubs.

But for the remaining seats, sure, keep lowering the price and eventually, you'll find enough demand to fill your seats. This seems to be UA's strategy as well. But if they keep devaluating the product and as a result, keep lowering the price to the point that it would just become more profitable to replace 2 F rows with 5 more Economy rows, what's going to stop them?
Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
No, falling F prices is resulting in demand going up and generally by quite a bit. It used to be that most F seats were simply used for upgrades. i.e. there was no demand for them. Now, most F seats are actually being sold.
Yup. A couple of years ago I wouldn’t buy F tickets for personal travel . I do now on occasion because advance purchase P fares can be (IMHO) very reasonable. The front cabins between West Ciast and Hawaii are filled with people who would normally be buying economy tickets but can now splurge on F.

Obvious downside isCPU reduction.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by kokonutz
The bolded part can't possibly be true. We've been told over and over again on this thread that FC pax have PLENTY of overhead space, even if they board at the end of BG1.
I know you say this in jest but it's entirely true. I boarded at the end of BG1 (again, around 20-25 people). It was an ERJ-175 which has "overhead bins big enough for standard roller bags" (as mentioned by the gate agent). That's only true on one half of the airplane and the FC cabin is a "huge" 12 seats with enough room for four bags. Standard roller bags don't fit wheels first/last but have to be put in sideways, hence why my bag was way back around row 15.

The A319 is also very bad for overhead space in first class and I will stand around and try to board first on this plane type to ensure overhead space.

-RM
Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

Yup. A couple of years ago I wouldn’t buy F tickets for personal travel . I do now on occasion because advance purchase P fares can be (IMHO) very reasonable. The front cabins between West Ciast and Hawaii are filled with people who would normally be buying economy tickets but can now splurge on F.

Obvious downside isCPU reduction.
Exactly the same situation for me except that I was more likely to fly coach for biz travel and F for personal (because my wife likes it). Now that there are lots of cheap P-fares available, I buy domestic F whenever I can get a good deal, i.e. most of the time.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
New Boarding Process - Hong Kong

Just experienced the new boarding process in HKG this morning. Obsertavtions:

What worked
- GS (3 folks boarded smoothly)
- There were no kids or military
- 1K (15 folks boarded smoothly)
- I didn't see the rest of the groups...
- The GS and 1Ks were wicked fast in getting settled. I boarded last and both aisles were wide open.

What Didn't Work
- Any 1K who showed the mini boarding pass in the app was asked to go to Group 1 line. This created arguments because the mini BP doesn't state 1K. The expanded BP shows 1K, just like the paper BP. United IT should have fixed this before launch.
- During pre-boarding, several Business Class folks tried to cut as they though they were already called. Will take business folks some time to get used to watching 20-30 people board ahead of them on wide bodies.
- 15 1Ks is too few for a nearly full HKG-SFO flight. I bet several business 1Ks got stuck in the Group 1 line.

Overall, I liked it. Feels like 1K status got a nice boost, after five years of mild but steady regression.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Just experienced the new boarding process in HKG this morning. Obsertavtions:

What worked
- GS (3 folks boarded smoothly)
- There were no kids or military
- 1K (15 folks boarded smoothly)
- I didn't see the rest of the groups...
- The GS and 1Ks were wicked fast in getting settled. I boarded last and both aisles were wide open.

What Didn't Work
- Any 1K who showed the mini boarding pass in the app was asked to go to Group 1 line. This created arguments because the mini BP doesn't state 1K. The expanded BP shows 1K, just like the paper BP. United IT should have fixed this before launch.
- During pre-boarding, several Business Class folks tried to cut as they though they were already called. Will take business folks some time to get used to watching 20-30 people board ahead of them on wide bodies.
- 15 1Ks is too few for a nearly full HKG-SFO flight. I bet several business 1Ks got stuck in the Group 1 line.

Overall, I liked it. Feels like 1K status got a nice boost, after five years of mild but steady regression.
What do you mean by "Mini boarding pass"
My Phone shows me as a 1K both in the app, in the boarding pass in the app and the boarding pass in the apple wallet
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:47 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I know you say this in jest but it's entirely true. I boarded at the end of BG1 (again, around 20-25 people). It was an ERJ-175 which has "overhead bins big enough for standard roller bags" (as mentioned by the gate agent). That's only true on one half of the airplane and the FC cabin is a "huge" 12 seats with enough room for four bags. Standard roller bags don't fit wheels first/last but have to be put in sideways, hence why my bag was way back around row 15.

The A319 is also very bad for overhead space in first class and I will stand around and try to board first on this plane type to ensure overhead space.

-RM
Wasn't REALLY saying it in jest. Your experience is the same as mine even before this change.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 23, 2018 at 12:19 am Reason: Comments on Moderation removed per FT rules
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:50 am

Can companion of 1K preboard together with 1K?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:10 am

I just checked into a flight and noticed that both my electronic boarding pass in the app has a teal background, and the entire apple wallet card is teal as opposed to the usual United blue. Is this a change associated with the new boarding process (group 1)? This is also a transatlantic basic fare, so maybe that has something to do with it too (but these fares don’t have cabin bag restrictions)?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:12 am

Here’s a screenshot
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:26 am

My experience continues to be positive, I boarder two flightsthis morning already, RDU-EWR and EWR-HNL, both flights GA follow the script! I was curiously specially about the HNL but pleasantly surprise!
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Originally Posted by rmannion
Here’s a screenshot
Why do you use this type of boarding pass anyway when you can access your boarding pass from the lookscreen?!
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:47 am

I was illustrating what the change looked like. I’m not sure where I indicated I used that in lieue of the Apple wallet one?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Marschel
Why do you use this type of boarding pass anyway when you can access your boarding pass from the lookscreen?!
Originally Posted by rmannion
and the entire apple wallet card is teal as opposed to the usual United blue.
Not that it should matter, but (s)he pretty clearly indicated both cards were showing up that way.

This is very interesting if it is a change to address this. I haven’t used an electronic boarding pass on UA in years because it made GS preboarding awkward. I would very much welcome a clear distinction like this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
I haven’t used an electronic boarding pass on UA in years because it made GS preboarding awkward.
Weird, seems like you're ashamed of your status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.