Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2018, 2:36 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by RobOnLI

Hub (IAD): I was upgraded before boarding started. Note: I SDC'd to this flight. I stood to the side as BG1 got to about 20-25 people deep. Agent boarded disabled, military, families, GS and then went straight to BG1. Because of this I boarded last in BG1 and, therefore, had to stow my bag haflway back in the economy cabin because first class overhead space was full. If I had known the agent wouldn't follow new procedure I would have stood in lane 1. I'm surprised a hub gate agent didn't follow instructions.
The bolded part can't possibly be true. We've been told over and over again on this thread that FC pax have PLENTY of overhead space, even if they board at the end of BG1.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by bballdad175
My last reply to this thread. I really can’t believe this is so controversial as to generate 40+ pages in just a few days.
40+ pages' worth of ways to say "The demand for overhead space exceeds the supply."
Old Sep 22, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kirkt
I have several flights in the next few weeks, I might just ask the GA if they are following the new procedure
I promised I had no more replies to this thread, but this is one of the most rational responses!

i will do the same! Ask the GA and go from there. Depending on my mood and spend I might throw my backpack and demand special treatment though lol.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Bonehead
I'm totally with Kokonutz on this one. I buy a lot of F tickets, and don't appreciate any devaluations.

My first experience with the new boarding process was yesterday at PIT (nonstop PIT-DEN, 20-FC-seat 739). Gate agent told me she was fine with the new boarding procedure, and executed it to a T. There was one 1K, who took his place in Y as those flights between DEN and PIT usually sell out in F (I routinely see GS folks headed for the back as well).

Still, given this latest development I'm very happy that I'll be back in the 1K ranks later this year, as will my SO (based on my MM status)
I understand the devaluation sentiment. OTOH, I've seen the price of F tickets go down, too, and sometimes by quite a bit so maybe that's the flip side of F devaluation.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by kirkt
I have several flights in the next few weeks, I might just ask the GA if they are following the new procedure
i would tack on "and calling 1K's prior to G1" after "procedure."
Old Sep 22, 2018, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
This is United. As with many policies instituted thru the years, it takes a while for the customers to train the staff. The inconsistent rollout is hardly a surprise to any regular United frequent flyer. And, as with any policy change, they'll get there. Eventually
Having been 1K or above every year since 1996, you’re right, I should know this. Yet, I still find myself in awe that all the these boarding and preboarding group changes were tossed in there on rollout day without any vetting.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I understand the devaluation sentiment. OTOH, I've seen the price of F tickets go down, too, and sometimes by quite a bit so maybe that's the flip side of F devaluation.
Prices going down is actually a clear symptom of product devaluation in a market where supply doesn't exceed demand. With supply and demand remaining constant, a product of lessening value is a product that will be charged less money for. It's part of the cycle that ultimately ends with the product discontinued or replaced.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I think CPUs are abundant evidence of supply exceeding demand.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mozilla
Prices going down is actually a clear symptom of product devaluation. A product of lessening value is a product that will be charged less money for. It's part of the cycle that ultimately ends with the product discontinued or replaced.
No. Falling prices by all the major airlines for First Class is a function of supply and demand.

UA/DL/AA, etc - would all love to spend $20 more per person on food, if it meant fares went up $60+ per person. Heck, they'd be happy to make an entire airplane lie flat beds as they could get the revenue for that. They'd love to stock higher end liquor if they could get the prices to justify it. Things are devalued when people won't open the pocketbook to pay for it.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA GS, QF Plat, Marriot/SPG Plat, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz PC, National Exec
Just boarded DEN-LAX. Asked that gate agent what I was supposed to do, she said she would call me as a preboard and just stand to the side and hang out. I asked her how the new procedure was going, she said some people don’t understand it and it’s a little confusing for some, but it is getting better and smoother than the old way.

She called pax with assistance, active military and GS all together, got a pause, she nodded to come on up then called 1K’s.

What was odd, especially in DEN, nobody was in the cattle pens lined up. Everyone was seated or standing in the back waiting to be called.

I’ll do the same thing on LAX-MEL later tonight.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by willfam3
Just boarded DEN-LAX. Asked that gate agent what I was supposed to do, she said she would call me as a preboard and just stand to the side and hang out. I asked her how the new procedure was going, she said some people don’t understand it and it’s a little confusing for some, but it is getting better and smoother than the old way.

She called pax with assistance, active military and GS all together, got a pause, she nodded to come on up then called 1K’s.

What was odd, especially in DEN, nobody was in the cattle pens lined up. Everyone was seated or standing in the back waiting to be called.

I’ll do the same thing on LAX-MEL later tonight.
What happened with the call for "All families traveling with children 2 and under"?
Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by findark
I think CPUs are abundant evidence of supply exceeding demand.
You mean the elusive CPU's used to fill the occasional no-show/missed connection paid/TOD F seat?

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Things are devalued when people won't open the pocketbook to pay for it.
Right, because product devaluation also makes it less worth paying for the product, resulting in lower prices and more devaluations, until the product is scrapped. That's the cycle we're seeing. It's not like it didn't happen before in recent UA history.

Ask yourself how much a Premium Economy product can still be differentiated from both United Economy and United First, once it is introduced to the domestic market. I know for a fact that United Economy isn't going anywhere. Not so sure about United First.

Last edited by mozilla; Sep 22, 2018 at 4:22 pm
Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, QF Plat, Marriot/SPG Plat, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
What happened with the call for "All families traveling with children 2 and under"?
It was along with the GS preboard. 1 crew, 1 military and what looked like 1 GS boarded before me.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by mozilla
Prices going down is actually a clear symptom of product devaluation in a market where supply doesn't exceed demand. With supply and demand remaining constant, a product of lessening value is a product that will be charged less money for. It's part of the cycle that ultimately ends with the product discontinued or replaced.
No, falling F prices is resulting in demand going up and generally by quite a bit. It used to be that most F seats were simply used for upgrades. i.e. there was no demand for them. Now, most F seats are actually being sold.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Boarding went per script in an orderly fashion on today’s flight. Unfortunately no histrionics from a DYKWIA complaining about F boarding after 1Ks. Based on some previous comments, I was expecting it to be much better more exciting!

Plenty of room in the F overhead bins even though the flight was full.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.