Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Supima
Another data point - UEX flight last night from MSP-EWR -- new boarding procedure utilized and effective -- very pleased so far with the new process.
So basically the majority of passengers who have experienced the new boarding procedures (myself included) have found it has worked better than the old system. The majority of those who don't like it haven't actually taken a flight to find out... just speculated.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by pdx1M
I think there is a lot of talking past each other going on in this thread. I don't see any issue with UA boarding GS/1K ahead of non-status F. However, they have (potentially) put paid F behind Gold which seems to me wrong. Non status paid F may be "worth" less to UA than a 1K but I severely doubt that it is worth less than a Gold. Qualification for G is pretty modest by the standards we are talking about here. It would not be unusual for a single paid F that was part of an international trip to represent more revenue than the annual revenue for a G (of course this won't be the majority case but it isn't hard to construct). I think UA should have carved out a BG0 between 1K and Plat for F. Or personally, I'd have just created a single premium preboard that consisted of GS/1K/F. While a few GS might have had bruised egos it would have make 0 practical difference for their travels. I say this having spent many years as a GS, many as a 1K before that, and some as a lifetime 1K since I dropped GS. Even out of SFO it just isn't that big of a deal if you are boarding with a GS/1K/F group (and by the way that was the PMUA sequencing). The only part of the new procedure I think is in error is mixing non-status F with all the way down to Golds.
Lots of good points in your post. Regarding Gold, the spend requirement is not all that high but 50 flights is still a lot of travel. For example: if you fly from New York to Chicago every other week, you're still not making Gold via mileage amount, only via segments and barely at that. That's still quite a bit of revenue and probably enough to eclipse even the 1K revenue base of $12,000.

In the end, no system is going to cater to every single traveler in a way that all will think is completely fair from their perspective. So far, the biggest concern seems to be from F travelers who are not 1K as they will have to board with this mythical lowly person who's commuting from New York to Chicago every other week (and probably spending more than $12K to do it). No matter how you slice it, that's still probably a very small percentage of UA's overall passenger count.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Again, you don't understand what is going on...
Yes, I do. You don’t understand that I have a choice between one airline and another and I choose the other.

A GS pays $7500 for a Polaris ticket. A non-GS buys a $7500 ticket.....
I don't care about any of that. F is F. If it's F- on UA, I’ll do my best to avoid UA. You go ahead and enjoy your GS/1K/whatever alphabet soup.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by dalehill

Yes, I do. You don’t understand that I have a choice between one airline and another and I choose the other.

I don't care about any of that. F is F. If it's F- on UA, I’ll do my best to avoid UA. You go ahead and enjoy your GS/1K/whatever alphabet soup.
Why would someone who flies on Delta complain about United's boarding process? It has no bearing on you.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:58 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Why would someone who flies on Delta complain about United's boarding process? It has no bearing on you.
Not everyone is slavishly loyal to a single airline.

Comvenience, price of premium ticket and other factors play a role in my choice. But I never fly certain airlines either because they don’t have a premium product or their premium product is not competitive. As of this week the latter applies to UA.

<shrug>
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
This thread has been entertaining. When I check in at the Waldorf Astoria in Rome again, for my cheap room (on points), I will enjoy walking past the ultra wealthy in the standard line, while I walk into the private Diamond only check in room and enjoy some bubbly.

Hilton thinks my status is important, and UA thinks status is important as well.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by rwmiller56
I flew UA317 this morning, SFO to IND. I was in PAID F, and I was the second person in the Group 1 line.
I saw about 20-30 people pre-board, initially. Nobody came up when they called families, active military, GS, or 1K, except for the fellow in front of me, who was 1K. That put me first in the group 1 line.
I'm guessing that most who pre-boarded were either GS or 1K, and they didn't wait for the call, they just pre-boarded first.

When I boarded and got to my F seat, I was shocked to see F (16 seats) almost full, and there was literally only one space left in the overhead bins, which I used for my medium size laptop roller bag. Two more folks boarded in F, and I know they had trouble finding bin space.

I generally fly paid F several times a year, and I usually make Silver. I fly paid F for the comfortable seat, and (what used to be) early boarding. Upgrades for Silvers are practically non-existent, so I don't even bother.
My first impression of the new boarding system is that it very well could affect bin space availability for paid F pax. I don't think this is a fair system for paid F pax
What about the new boarding process changes this? If GS and 1K filled almost all the space, then the problem is not enough space. If you had boarded with or before 1K then either you or some 1K wouldn't have enough space. Between a 1K in F and a lower-status in F, United is, reasonably, going to care more about the 1K in F, as they do regarding meals etc.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Well - I'm flying SFO-SAN today, SAN-EWR Sunday, and EWR-HNL Wednesday so for entertainment, I'll get a firsthand look at how this is working.

It seems thus far the recap is, 2 infrequent fliers hate the new system, a bunch of people are indifferent, and the majority like it......

I think this boarding will stick - with the lounges up and running, pre-boarding for anyone in international biz should be minimal and UA has decided to double down on 1K's - and I think that is a good card to play.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz

Not everyone is slavishly loyal to a single airline.

Comvenience, price of premium ticket and other factors play a role in my choice. But I never fly certain airlines either because they don’t have a premium product or their premium product is not competitive. As of this week the latter applies to UA.

<shrug>
This isn't the Soviet Union saying you have one choice... Aeroflot. I'm not understanding the point of complaining about a boarding process (changes to which seem to have upset 1% or 2% of their customers) when complainants simultaneously claim they have other options.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
This thread has been entertaining. When I check in at the Waldorf Astoria in Rome again, for my cheap room (on points), I will enjoy walking past the ultra wealthy in the standard line, while I walk into the private Diamond only check in room and enjoy some bubbly.

Hilton thinks my status is important, and UA thinks status is important as well.
This is so true.
At the Tokyo Hilton, where I spend a lot of nights every year, I am an expert on getting discounts and knowing when the flash sales come-up, so I often am paying only around $150- to $200- a night for an upgraded room and have access to a private, Diamond-only lounge. I am good friends with the EL staff, so I have asked how the EL could be so full while the Diamond Lounge is simultaneously lightly occupied. They have told me that many corporations buy their execs an upgraded room with EL access, but that most don't have high status. The average rate during my stays for these rooms is around $350- per night with the corporate discount. I wonder how these execs would feel knowing that I was paying $200- less than them per night for the same room with access to an uncrowded private Diamond lounge to boot?

To amplify the point you are making; Hilton and United think loyalty is to be rewarded and do enough things for us to keep us loyal. Some are more important than others, but the one thing that stands-out about UA's treatment of me as a 1K is the exceptional IRROPS treatment that I have received from them. I get the impression, when something has gone awry, that the 1K agent is going to move "Heaven and Earth" to get me to my destination. I have even been met at the gate by an agent before, who told me to, "run", as she ran with me to another airline's gates so that I could make my international destination (UA had proactively re-booked me on another carrier in J while I was in the air on a delayed flight).

Last edited by zombietooth; Sep 21, 2018 at 9:09 am
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My international connection was a little more confusing and could have worked out not too well. At SFO, there are 2 doors. There were 2 1s and 2 2s in the signs too.

When they started pre-boarding, all the groups up to GS went to the first door and got backed up. Then the 2nd door opened and the lady took the 1Ks.

I think if they can find a way for the 1Ks and GS to line up, it would be better. Of course, the defeats the purpose somewhat.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
It could though. Over the years since I went all in with DL, UA has introduced nonstops on a couple of my routes. As the end of the year approaches, I re-evaluate whether I should continue to concentrate my flying with DL. It's that time of year again and I won’t be rolling over a ton of DL MQM’s, so 2019 could be a good year to let all that go and just fly whatever airline suits my needs, So I’m looking at that and I come here to see what’s up (domestically, in F—I will continue to pay for Polaris on a case-by-case basis) with UA these days and I'm reading here that the F customer doesn’t really matter to UA unless that customer is UA elite. So, you’re right, UA’s boarding process has no bearing on me because I won’t make the switch to UA—not *just* because of the boarding process but that really is the last straw for me. It hurts no one to let F board with elites. (I’m not stupid, I get why airlines care most about their elites but I’m sure someone will lecture me again on that anyway.)
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.

It could though. Over the years since I went all in with DL, UA has introduced nonstops on a couple of my routes. As the end of the year approaches, I re-evaluate whether I should continue to concentrate my flying with DL. It's that time of year again and I won’t be rolling over a ton of DL MQM’s, so 2019 could be a good year to let all that go and just fly whatever airline suits my needs, So I’m looking at that and I come here to see what’s up (domestically, in F—I will continue to pay for Polaris on a case-by-case basis) with UA these days and I'm reading here that the F customer doesn’t really matter to UA unless that customer is UA elite. So, you’re right, UA’s boarding process has no bearing on me because I won’t make the switch to UA—not *just* because of the boarding process but that really is the last straw for me. It hurts no one to let F board with elites. (I’m not stupid, I get why airlines care most about their elites but I’m sure someone will lecture me again on that anyway.)

I, for one, think it's OK to let biz class customers board with the 1Ks-it's that way it used to be on UA before the merger (but GS and other preboards and then, old Global F, were first). But I would never make a flight purchase decision based on that criterion. I don't care when I board, especially on the longer flights. I typically am the last guy to board in J on international flights because I like to stay on my feet as long as possible before being confined for 8+ hours, and there is always plenty of bin space.

I will say that NH, SQ, LH and many others give subordinate preference to paid biz vs their elites, so UA is not unique.

Last edited by zombietooth; Sep 21, 2018 at 10:45 am
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:10 am

from someone who average 15-19 Segments per week, and as a Global Services i am finding that the new process is working fine,specially boarding before families with their adult 2 years old is a plus!! and from an inplimentation stand point GA have follow the scrip! I just left IAH this morning no issues!
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

So you don't think a Diamond Medallion on Delta is not treated better than a non-status person who buys the same ticket class/fare? Or the American/Lufthansa/Singapore equivalent? Someone mentioned Aeroflot if you wanted an airline that treats everyone the same. That's false - even Aeroflot will treat two people differently based on status. Maybe you're looking for something like Greyhound.

To be clear, the new policy doesn't affect me. I'll still choose to board at tail end of BG1 and suffer even more of the dire indignity/mistreatment UA is heaping on the BG1 customers since I'll be last in line to board. I hope I survive

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 21, 2018 at 10:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.