Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:01 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by username
One big problem with UA's boarding queues is that they actually disrupt concourse traffic. People don't bend the lines and a lot of the times, they end up cutting concourse traffic. They really need to try to manage it better as the problem would not go away with the new process...
And if you try and be a good citizen and bend the line, some yahoo will line up at the bend, cutting in front of your AND blocking traffic.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:19 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Y

On recent LAX-SIN I saw the FAs' map for the forward J cabin and over half the pax were marked as 1K. And that's ex-LAX, rather than SFO.

Heck, I've been on SAN-SFO with 15-20 combined GS/1K. That's on an airbus or 737.

UA only flies narrowbodies AUS-SFO. Extrapolate 30 1K/GS on a 739 to a full 77W or 789, and you've easily got over 50.
All the more reason to prioritize 1K - maybe I'm off I'm my guesses
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:26 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JAaronT

And if you try and be a good citizen and bend the line, some yahoo will line up at the bend, cutting in front of your AND blocking traffic.
That drives me nuts too. You try to do something 'for the good' and people - who I can tell know what they are doing- try to unbend the line. That or people that crash the middle of the line. I try to be very helpful to people who obviously are having issues understanding the boarding process. Line cutters, I am vicious to. I'm happy go -lucky friendly midwestern guy until you screw with my line.

That and people that try to skip the single line que for the 2 person Club entrance. You get behind some CC dumby or someone who doesn't understand F isn't club access and you'll hang there forever. Single line, next available agent.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:35 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fivevsone
discouraging to hear. hopefully there is a commitment to 'doing it right', or at least as published.
I have two test runs now - SFO-SAN yesterday and SAN-SFO today. Overall the improvements were needed, but pre-boarding is now a complete disorganized scrum ... the agents both times announced all of the pre-boarding groups at once, creating a stampede now that 1K have been added to the pre-board group and SAN is a military-heavy route. Chaos that could be solved by merely pausing as you announce each pre-board group. Win for 1K (or rather back to the future) and another erosion of GS.

With the elimination of GS checkin lanes at all but the main hub stations (merging those lanes with Polaris/1K and creating long waits), United is clearly less focused on GS ground handling and the program overall these days.

Hopefully this new process gets smoother as time goes on.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:55 am

UA could have solved all of these problems by having a separate pre-board lane. They shouldn't have tried so hard and gone from 5 lanes to 2. 5 lanes to 3 would have worked better.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:29 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Flew out of Boston this morning - automated announcement has been updated but the pre-boarding announcement has no pauses so as expected there was a mad rush to the gate. Would be nice if they used the one at a time announcement with a pause rather than literally all 5 pre board groups called simultaneously.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
So with this new change as a non-UA *G on a $70 BE ticket EWR-BOS I get to board in the same group as someone flying NRT-EWR-BOS on a ~$7000 paid J ticket... not complaining but something seems a little off to me
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by TexasAggie02
Flew out of Boston this morning - automated announcement has been updated but the pre-boarding announcement has no pauses so as expected there was a mad rush to the gate. Would be nice if they used the one at a time announcement with a pause rather than literally all 5 pre board groups called simultaneously.
This is actually worse than I expected and exactly what I was afraid of.

I expected the odd GA to mess up with gradual improvement over the course of the year. When they enshrine the incorrect method into an automated announcement, this will be an absolute cluster.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TexasAggie02
Originally Posted by LordHamster
This is actually worse than I expected and exactly what I was afraid of.

I expected the odd GA to mess up with gradual improvement over the course of the year. When they enshrine the incorrect method into an automated announcement, this will be an absolute cluster.
Aren't the 'automated announcements' at BOS actually just initiated by an agent pushing a button? Effectively that's just the same as the agents who formerly went 'We now invite disabilitiesmilitaryfamiliesglobal' (and now I assume will go 'disabilitiesmilitaryglobalfamilies1k').
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by fumje
Aren't the 'automated announcements' at BOS actually just initiated by an agent pushing a button? Effectively that's just the same as the agents who formerly went 'We now invite disabilitiesmilitaryfamiliesglobal' (and now I assume will go 'disabilitiesmilitaryglobalfamilies1k').
I guess the question boils down to:

Does a single button press rattle off the whole pre-boarding announcement, or does each "sub-group" in preboarding require a separate press. Also, in the spoken script, is there supposed to be a "pause" between each sub-group as before? Or are all preboard groups invited simultaneously.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LordHamster
I guess the question boils down to:

Does a single button press rattle off the whole pre-boarding announcement, or does each "sub-group" in preboarding require a separate press. Also, in the spoken script, is there supposed to be a "pause" between each sub-group as before? Or are all preboard groups invited simultaneously.
Perhaps someone more regularly in BOS could confirm answer to the former, but I believe each group is a button press. In the script I also believe there is supposed to be a pause, but I have no idea how clearly or explicitly that is spelled out. I suspect not very.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Tennen
I just noticed this as well, and I wondered why no one else picked up on it earlier. IMHO, this is one of the stupidest moves they've made. They call them the "green" and "blue" lanes, but labeled them with numbers... which happen to match two of the boarding groups. Not confusing at all. I agree that a simple "A" and "B" would've been better, since "Premier Access" would obviously lead to confusion for Group 2 folks lined up in the "regular" lane.
Based out of LAX, I have been able to see all of this first hand. This is completely correct. It took me months to even “get” what the idea was with these lanes, and I practically live at airports. Add to that at LAX, I have been able to see Delta go the other way and embrace UA’s 5 boarding lane setup at all its gates here. Their system works great.

Now, UA needs 5 lanes just to organize its preboard groups. The GS pre boarding worked because there was usually just a couple people, and it was generally easy to stand to the side with some discretion. Even with that though, it was sometimes awkward to find a place to “huddle”. Forget about elitism and priority, it’s a simple matter of the number of people and space.

I don’t have a good feeling about how this is all going to turn out.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by fumje
Perhaps someone more regularly in BOS could confirm answer to the former, but I believe each group is a button press. In the script I also believe there is supposed to be a pause, but I have no idea how clearly or explicitly that is spelled out. I suspect not very.
I was expecting a button press pause. But it was the same announcement the same way at two gates this morning. Didn’t look like the agent was pressing a button. Unless there is a “ohletsjustpreboardeveryoneatonetime” button.

Also - the BG1 announcement came before pre boards were finished.

Oh well. Let’s see what IAH has in store in an hour for my next flight.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
The idea of a "pause" between groups is great, but not consistent with the directive to Gate Agents to get the flight boarded and pushed ASAP. Incentives are not aligned to encourage paced boarding....

Not that I think paced boarding would be any slower, but perception seems to be rushing the boarding process is better for push times.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goodeats21
The idea of a "pause" between groups is great, but not consistent with the directive to Gate Agents to get the flight boarded and pushed ASAP. Incentives are not aligned to encourage paced boarding....

Not that I think paced boarding would be any slower, but perception seems to be rushing the boarding process is better for push times.
Good point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.