Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: LH SEN | UA 1K
1K louse here, happy to pre-board now before all these vips that are too poor to afford their own plane
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by pdx1M
...Strangely, this change may actually ultimately help the "no time for GS" in the announcement sequence. There are enough 1Ks that the agents will pretty quickly discover that they need to wait or they cause issues. With 0, 1, or 2 GS it is pretty easy to just assume none and go on. With 5 or more 1Ks it will become obvious. I suspect that in the long run this will create more time for the GS boarding (so long as you don't mind at times boarding with the lowly 1Ks).
Good point.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1015-1k
Undoubtedly this will evolve into happening regularly. A good portion of GAs already don't pause enough between GS preboarding and Group 1 and create difficult and awkward boarding for GS. GS is being devalued with this change.

100% agree. There are going to be literal cluster*$&#s happening in the limited spaces outside the boarding lanes. It's difficult enough for GS to find space to quietly linger to the side. Just wait for 20+ 1Ks to join the mess at all the hub gates.
Perhaps, and I'd asses, it's more likely that having two extra groups after GS makes it more likely they will not be trampled by the BG1 'horde'. If anything 1K is now the buffer for GS, which might be seen as increased value for GS.

edit: got beat to it!
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
The only F passengers who might have to wait an extra two minutes are those who aren’t already 1K. And who are those? The ones who don’t fly nearly as much and are generally less hyper-sensitive to waiting an extra two minutes anyway.

PS – As a UA MM, I’ve never seen an F passenger on UA have to check a bag due to late boarding. Never.
It's not so much as having to check a bag as it is having to put your bag 5-10 rows behind you and trying to walk upstream back to your seat and also grabbing your bag at the end of the flight. I've had to do that several times while sitting in F....one last drink at the club will do that to you.

I'll hold judgement until I actually go through the process. But when I sit in F (on a paid ticket, discount F albeit) I generally like to be one of the first ~10 paxs to board, situate myself, start streaming something and enjoy a beverage. No doubt I'll still be able to do that, but I get the feeling that after 1K's board and I'm in the "middle of the pack" heard that it's going to be more than an extra two minutes.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by fumje
Perhaps, and I'd asses, it's more likely that having two extra groups after GS makes it more likely they will not be trampled by the BG1 'horde'. If anything 1K is now the buffer for GS, which might be seen as increased value for GS.

edit: got beat to it!
Space. GS like buffers of space, not another pack of people. (I only half joke). The families/kids boarding might be the real thing that separates the groups, if actively recognized/enforced. Usually there's a gap to get that group processed, when they are present.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1015-1k
Space. GS like buffers of space, not another pack of people. (I only half joke). The families/kids boarding might be the real thing that separates the groups, if actively recognized/enforced. Usually there's a gap to get that group processed, when they are present.
By using people to separate in time, do you not then get space?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:58 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by FullFare

I dispute your contention that other worldwide airlines board elites before F/J customers international settings. I fly them, too, all over Europe and Asia, and I do not see that. My experience is the contrary.
I dispute your contention too with just two examples I bring off of the top of my head, ANA most definitely boards their status pax first before premium cabin, and OZ has done the same recently at ICN for their diamond or whatever pax. And this is boarding BEFORE, not at the same time, premium pax.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I like this, as separates 1K from plats.

Concern about the number of preboarding groups though, it keeps growing. Also, if a 1K BP says BG1, will GA’s verify a gold doesn’t try to board during preboarding?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:19 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mnredfox
... will GA’s verify a gold doesn’t try to board during preboarding?
Doubt it. They don’t enforce preboarders who board with GS now, doubt they’re going to do anything with the 1Ks

I’ve seen a particular passenger on a few of my
flights who has 1k on his boarding pass, but would always board with GS.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Labeling the chutes 1&2 is confusing with boarding groups 1&2. And even more so as chutes 1&2 have meant groups 1&2 up to now.

Just because WN use A/B Isn’t a reason not to do the same. Or call it heads and tails. “Group 3, board in lane 2”??

the 1K in pre Group 1 and Gold in Group 1 is a good move. The more like PMUA the better. Obviously
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
People gate lice because they want to make it in the front of their group. What you need to do is make the number of groups big enough that there isn't a need to try to game your position in your group. Maybe this is a way to do it. That or they are looking to make it symmetrical with BGs from 1 to 5 after the do negative 5 to negative 1. Only Eithad gets to use BG0.

Frankly, as a 1K I don't like it. I like lines. They are linear. This new one stuff is groups. And you are going to get {folks} rushing from the back of the group towards the front as soon as the GA starts on "WHhhhoooooooon K".

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 18, 2018 at 4:32 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PushingTin
Frankly, as a 1K I don't like it. I like lines. They are linear. This new one stuff is groups. And you are going to get {folks} rushing from the back of the group towards the front as soon as the GA starts on "WHhhhoooooooon K".
This is another of my concerns. With 5 clear lanes, everyone knows where to stand.

Do they really think groups 3 to 5 aren't going to crowd around so that they can be first in their group to board?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 18, 2018 at 4:33 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by canadiancow
This is another of my concerns. With 5 clear lanes, everyone knows where to stand.

Do they really think groups 3 to 5 aren't going to crowd around so that they can be first in their group to board?
Sharpen your elbows.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by Chukiechz

Doubt it. They don’t enforce preboarders who board with GS now, doubt they’re going to do anything with the 1Ks

I’ve seen a particular passenger on a few of my
flights who has 1k on his boarding pass, but would always board with GS.
those are more likely former GS who have been demoted to 1K , but for some reason they feel they should still have the perks
Old Sep 18, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Not yet in BOS

2165 BOS-EWR new boarding lanes, but same old automated announcement, and 2 BP scanning lanes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.