Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Today DEN-IAH. Two FA's in uniform standing ahead of me in BG1 line, Standing off to the side were two additional FA's in uniform and three others not in uniform but displaying United neck worn ID.

BG1 called and the line moved forward and the two FA's in the BG1 line scanned and boarded (both in exit row), GA told the remainder of BG1 to hold on and boarded the outlier FA's in and out of uniform.

First for me.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by limey1K
Today DEN-IAH. Two FA's in uniform standing ahead of me in BG1 line, Standing off to the side were two additional FA's in uniform and three others not in uniform but displaying United neck worn ID.

BG1 called and the line moved forward and the two FA's in the BG1 line scanned and boarded (both in exit row), GA told the remainder of BG1 to hold on and boarded the outlier FA's in and out of uniform.

First for me.
Well how else will they get the O/H space they are entitled to at the front of the bus wth their "crew" tags. I am seriously thinking about getting some for my luggage as I am in a run of this happening a lot to me of late, esp IAH and SFO.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: Delta GM, *G, BA Blue, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, LHW
United enhances our boarding experience...

....but still no hope for Group 2 Golds (at least it appears this way...)

Improving our boarding processWe’re dedicated to providing convenience and comfort throughout your journey with United and are always looking for ways to improve your overall experience. Our customers have told us they want a better experience when boarding, so we’re working to improve the process by introducing a new boarding method at various airports across our network. While you may notice a different boarding experience than what you’re used to, we’ll guide you through any changes.

What to expect if your gate is implementing a new process

We're currently enhancing your boarding experience at Los Angeles as well as select gates at Chicago O'Hare and Houston Intercontinental.

Simplified lanes

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will be two lanes: to begin, Group 1 will board through Lane 1 and Group 2 will board through Lane 2. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through Lane 2 when called, and Groups 1 and 2 may continue to board through Lane 1. We ask that you wait until your group has been called before lining up.

Boarding groups remain the same

Pre-boarding will still be available to select customers. Please wait until pre-boarding or your MileagePlus Premier® status or group is called before lining up. In the meantime, please make yourself comfortable, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready to board your group.

How will you benefit?

• No need to line up before your group is called: Simplified lanes with new signs will allow you to relax at the gate or within the airport longer.
  • More efficient boarding: Following priority boarding groups, we'll board customers sitting in window seats first and then middle and aisle seats.
  • Less crowding: Fewer lines will create more space and easier access to the boarding door for customers exiting the plane from the previous flight and for customers who are pre-boarding.
  • Improved digital displays: Monitors around the gate will display clear and relevant information about boarding and your flight.

How can you help?

Your input is valuable to us as we continue to improve the boarding process, so we're collecting feedback through interviews at the airport. You may also receive an email with a post-flight survey.

Thank you for your patience as we work to improve your boarding experience!
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Oh, great...

After being required to share Group 2 (as a Gold) with anyone who gets the right UA/Chase credit card, we'll now have everyone in Groups 3-5 jockeying to queue up behind us. And no doubt in front of us because they didn't understand the new system. I predict chaos.
schley and zeer0 like this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
If you've flown through LAX this year, you've already done this.
JVPhoto likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by 318i
Ridiculous. They really think everybody stays a the gate seated and "relaxed"? Lane 1 and Lane 2 will
line up early as always. And boarding by window, middle and aisle seat? Come on, nobody in Group 3-5
will line up according to seat location. They will all storm in as usual. No improvement whatsoever. But
some people in corporate were busy for a long time coming up with useless suggestions.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
And boarding by window, middle and aisle seat? Come on, nobody in Group 3-5
will line up according to seat location. They will all storm in as usual. No improvement whatsoever. But
some people in corporate were busy for a long time coming up with useless suggestions.
It was my understanding that the group numbers did some of this for you -- that window seats were always group 3, etc... Could be wrong though.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
You wonder if they should do a take on the South West procedure - not the free for all seating, but within BG you are assigned in number based on check-in, i.e. BG3-15 would be ahead of BG4-06 but behind BG3-06. Or perhaps United assigns BG3-01 to BG3-10 to windows, BG3-11 - BG3-20 to middles and BG321 - BG3-30 to aisles, BG4-01 - BG4-10 to windows, etc. This then allows others to see if they are ahead or behind you and so the passengers regulate the line for each BG. It does work well on South West when you kindly ask the person if their number is before or after your number. Also, you only get up for your BG because if you are in BG4 there is no point in standing with BG2 or BG 3 as the passengers will all state they need to be in front of you. I currently do not ask someone to see their BP. I will sometimes ask if someone is lined for BG1 to ensure I am in the right lane as sometimes that line is very, very long.

Although I do question whether IT would be able to achieve this with the BP but if they hired a couple of programmers from South West I am sure it is achievable (I am very technology challenged but seems doable to my mind).

Now I have not spent hours on this or discussing it with others, and have only had two cups of coffee, but it may help with some of the lane crowding.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
2 thoughts.

Marketing should be banned from using the term "enhanced". Bad connotations, just braces me for crap news.

pmUA red carpet boarding. 'nuf said.

Cheers.
Pat89339, COSPILOT, schley and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by GBadger
It was my understanding that the group numbers did some of this for you -- that window seats were always group 3, etc... Could be wrong though.
That could make a slight difference, didn't know that.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by 318i
What hope were you looking for / wanting (just out of curiosity?)
Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Had this for my LAX-SIN flight in February. It seemed more organized than the usual process. Still lots of lines but not the mob you often see in front of the gate.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
You wonder if they should do a take on the South West procedure - not the free for all seating, but within BG you are assigned in number based on check-in,
Easy. Southwest can do this because the only thing it depends on is time of check-in. There aren't that many 'elites' in Southwest and when there are, they are checked in first or have a check-in number reserved, hence checked in first. There is also no business / premium class in Southwest.

If we try and apply this to UA, it becomes a mess. Reserve a group for 1Ks...ok. Now Plat...ok. Now Gold...ok. Now *G...ok. Now Silver...ok. What about credit card holders. What about 1Ks in economy vs business. How to differentiate those. You can't penalize a 1K in business and give him/her a crappy number for check-in if they just had to check in late, while you give someone else a better number because they checked in first, but have lower status. Lots of DYKWIAs. You get the point. You're basically going to be reserving 1/2 - 3/4 of the entire plane.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UAX_Brasilia
If you've flown through LAX this year, you've already done this.
Was only on a CRJ but didn't seem to be an issue compared to the same plane at SFO with just the old 2 lanes for 1-2 and 3-5.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Easy. Southwest can do this because the only thing it depends on is time of check-in. There aren't that many 'elites' in Southwest and when there are, they are checked in first or have a check-in number reserved, hence checked in first. There is also no business / premium class in Southwest.

If we try and apply this to UA, it becomes a mess. Reserve a group for 1Ks...ok. Now Plat...ok. Now Gold...ok. Now *G...ok. Now Silver...ok. What about credit card holders. What about 1Ks in economy vs business. How to differentiate those. You can't penalize a 1K in business and give him/her a crappy number for check-in if they just had to check in late, while you give someone else a better number because they checked in first, but have lower status. Lots of DYKWIAs. You get the point. You're basically going to be reserving 1/2 - 3/4 of the entire plane.
It's really not that hard.. the naive solution would be to have a letter group for every class you named above. To avoid boarding 9+ "groups" just bin then into the first and back half of letters, so e.g. on a narrowbody

Preboards
A1-30 - F by checkin time
A31-60 - 1K
B1-30 - Plat
B31-60 - Gold
B61-90 - Silver/*G/*S/CC holders
C1-99, D1-99 - everyone else by checkin time

Overpad the group numbers so they fit the 99% use cases, and just print multiple of the last number in the pathological case. UA seems to be trying to copy WN's boarding efficiency and forgetting it's not the two lanes but the fact that nobody needs to be gate lice.
Aussienarelle likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.