Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I must be crazy, cuz this new thing seems totally backwards to me.

As it stands the busiest flights at IAH end up with 5 lines (btw I just flew AA for the first time in a while, why is there 9 boarding groups? They just end up skipping half of them anyway) and at the very least it's fairly orderly in my experience. In the gates that have the proper space, people don't even really spill out into the walkway in the terminal either. If you're gonna cut the boarding groups, it just seems to me that the gate liceing will be out of control. You'll have a GIANT horde of people in the one "line" which will be 3 people wide and then a normal priority boarding type line. It just means more and more people will congregate near the desk which isn't good for anyone.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
What would be interesting is if they insisted that kids less than two, and their parents, uncles, aunts, nephews, nieces, cousins, grandparents, in-laws, who all seem to be some sort of accompanying Emotional Support Animals for the "2 year old", were told that they can only board last. There would be no 2 year olds on any flight everafter and they, their Emotional Support Animal relatives would all suddenly board in their assigned groups.

Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
What would be interesting is if they insisted that kids less than two, and their parents, uncles, aunts, nephews, nieces, cousins, grandparents, in-laws, who all seem to be some sort of accompanying Emotional Support Animals for the "2 year old", were told that they can only board last. There would be no 2 year olds on any flight everafter and they, their Emotional Support Animal relatives would all suddenly board in their assigned groups.

What about military toddlers in uniform?
jackal likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by AugustusM
What about military toddlers in uniform?

Looks like that email is posted on the website describing the test

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/boarding.aspx

I recently waited near a Southwest gate, and walked over to see what's so great about their process. It was very smooth, quick, made a lot of sense.

Then I realized Southwest doesn't charge for checked bags like the other majors, and gets fewer biz travelers, so they don't have the bin issues UA/DL/AA have.

Ironically Delta is testing boarding lanes split up closer to what UA has now.

Gate lice is not a UA unique issue by any stretch. At least they have the financial incentive of hitting more D:0 departures to try and force something quicker, but the current system seems to work fine.

I wonder what kind of chaos would ensue if they ordered each group like Southwest. For example, Group 1 gets a number (1-60) assigned based on fare, status, time of checkin, etc. So like Southwest you slot yourself into your subgroup based on that number.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer

I wonder what kind of chaos would ensue if they ordered each group like Southwest. For example, Group 1 gets a number (1-60) assigned based on fare, status, time of checkin, etc. So like Southwest you slot yourself into your subgroup based on that number.
I can imagine.

The "I paid for this F fare, how DARE you place me as Group 1, position 2. Who does Group 1, position 1 think he is? I demand to board first."
DYKWIA galores basically. People need to get over themselves lol.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
How about everyone gets a number based on the fare they paid for the flight? If you have status then you get a multiplier, kind of like RDM earning. Then they call each number individually, and encourage the people waiting to be called to applaud their betters as they board. First 10 people get mood lighting and a photo op with smoke and lasers while their boarding pass is being scanned. Last person on gets a small trophy of a butt instead of the inflight snack and drink.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I really wish they would do this because it completely eliminates gate lice. The boarding process is one of my favorite things about flying WN. And it's not that hard to leave large gaps in the numbering to accommodate late-booking or SDCing elites, etc. Just do the current boarding groups and order within them by checkin time, or even further split by status (e.g. Group 1 is now Group A, and A1-20 is for F, A21-50 is for 1Ks in Y, and A51-99 is Plats in Y, or similar).

But I agree it would go over poorly with too many pax.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA GS & Million Miler, AA Lifetime Gold (MM)
Originally Posted by zymm
How about everyone gets a number based on the fare they paid for the flight? If you have status then you get a multiplier, kind of like RDM earning. Then they call each number individually, and encourage the people waiting to be called to applaud their betters as they board. First 10 people get mood lighting and a photo op with smoke and lasers while their boarding pass is being scanned. Last person on gets a small trophy of a butt instead of the inflight snack and drink.
(slow clap) ..... :-)
Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by drvannostren
I must be crazy, cuz this new thing seems totally backwards to me.

As it stands the busiest flights at IAH end up with 5 lines (btw I just flew AA for the first time in a while, why is there 9 boarding groups? They just end up skipping half of them anyway) and at the very least it's fairly orderly in my experience. In the gates that have the proper space, people don't even really spill out into the walkway in the terminal either. If you're gonna cut the boarding groups, it just seems to me that the gate liceing will be out of control. You'll have a GIANT horde of people in the one "line" which will be 3 people wide and then a normal priority boarding type line. It just means more and more people will congregate near the desk which isn't good for anyone.
AA's group numbers changed a little while back. Old Group 1 became Group 5. Groups like ExPlat, First Class, etc. that were boarded before Group 1 are now groups with numbers 1-4. More fine-grained, but doesn't allow queuing in chutes far ahead unless there were 9 chutes. Credit cards on AA used to be Group 1 but are now Group 5, still "Priority boarding" but explaining that Group 5 is priority is a little weird. Groups 1-4 do not necessarily have tons of people on each flight, but some do have tons. Equivalent on UA would be like moving Global Services to its own group number and shifting all the other numbers downward.

Last edited by UAzip; Feb 15, 2018 at 1:36 pm Reason: stupid keyboard, deleting close quote bracket
Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by drew in the air
At best GS can be 2 because by law disabled have the right to be boarded before everyone else.
I have not seen this codified in law that they must pre-board. The Air Carrier Access Act does require assistance to be provided with boarding if necessary, but does not specify boarding group or pre-boarding. That being said, I doubt this will change.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by chermorg
I have not seen this codified in law that they must pre-board. The Air Carrier Access Act does require assistance to be provided with boarding if necessary, but does not specify boarding group or pre-boarding. That being said, I doubt this will change.
I'm not sure what qualifies as codified into law but this notice from the DOT seems pretty clear on the topic to me.
https://www.transportation.gov/sites...%20Final_0.pdf
Old Feb 15, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
The "I paid for this F fare, how DARE you place me as Group 1, position 2. Who does Group 1, position 1 think he is? I demand to board first."
DYKWIA galores basically.
or she.
laxmillenial likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by drew in the air
I'm not sure what qualifies as codified into law but this notice from the DOT seems pretty clear on the topic to me.
https://www.transportation.gov/sites...%20Final_0.pdf
That qualifies. It's one of those "the DOT submitted this rule, thus it's incorporated by reference into the ACAA". That didn't come with the original law that now requires it though - lovely intricacies of laws and rules and the government.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I received an email notification of the new boarding process at LAX earlier today. Just now, I received a text from UA that said "We will be testing a new boarding process for your upcoming United flight from Los Angeles."

I guess UA is sending out texts to the winners of the "new boarding test" lottery.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

Looks like that email is posted on the website describing the test

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/boarding.aspx
The big issue I see is calling it "lane 1" and "lane 2".

Group 2 boards through lane 2, then lane 1. Group 3 boards through lane 2.

If they had Lane A and Lane B, there'd be no numeric association, and I think it would be easier to understand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.