Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bldr1k
I don't think there are more GS. There may be more 1Ks as people travel more. However, this has nothing to do with the waitlist. They are selling first cheap, up-selling it, etc. and upgrades are way down. Even as GS I rarely get upgraded domestically.
Maybe - you might be right. But I'm just speaking from personal experience where I'm on the list - and I'm not getting beaten out by cheap upgrades, I love buy ups, if they are truly reasonable - I jump on them.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA ConciergeKey | UA Plat | UA 2M Miler | Marriott Plat | Hilton Gold | Hyatt Globalist
It's all in the execution

I am flying from SNA tomorrow to DEN, which I expect will be a flight with many GS and 1K pax, so it should be interesting to see how the gate agents handle this change. It also happens to be a flight where I cross the 2M lifetime mile threshold on UA. Luckily due to my 1K status and also being upgraded, I am Group 1.

My prediction for this new boarding process will be about 15-20 people hanging around an already crowded gate entry way (1k's, GS, families, disabled), in addition to the dozens of people queuing in groups 1 and 2 thinking they are special, with dozens of people from group 3-5 people standing around, confused and asking questions on where they should stand and when they will board.

When the boarding process begins, and the call pre-boarding, eventually they will get to 1K's after the GSers, and instead of people hearing them say "One K", people will interpret the announcement as "Group 1", which will turn into a about 10-12 1K's rushing the gate at the same time Group 1 tries to board, because they think they were called.

I saw an earlier post where someone suggested the creation of a Premium boarding group before Group 1, which includes FC, GS and 1K - I definitely think that is the best suggestion yet.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by 1015-1k

Except that GS are now not getting the upgrades much either.
*shrug* I’m at 100% this year out of SFO
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFOdelayed

*shrug* I’m at 100% this year out of SFO
How about your on-time percentage?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by fumje
How about your on-time percentage?
Much better than last year, but I hardly ever connect. The captain apologized profusely for being 5 min late this past weekend EWR-SFO.

Anyways interested to try this out later this week SFO-SEA
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by FullFare
So I'm damned if I'm an F passenger and going to board behind a 1K guy who didn't buy a first class ticket. Not gonna do that, and I think that differentiation is flat out nuts. Your argument for defending this carrier for doing this totally escapes me. I can afford to walk with my feet, and, assuredly, will do so if they propose this nonsense. Your thesis that I, and others, are upgraders from cheap fares is short sighted and ill founded. You should consider otherwise.
A large number of the 1K group spends a lot more than F pax. Often times due to the nature of their jobs, they have no choice but to buy a full Y fare - e.g. last minute ticket, F class is sold out, company has policy against premium seats.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA MM
The only F passengers who might have to wait an extra two minutes are those who aren’t already 1K. And who are those? The ones who don’t fly nearly as much and are generally less hyper-sensitive to waiting an extra two minutes anyway.

PS – As a UA MM, I’ve never seen an F passenger on UA have to check a bag due to late boarding. Never.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
With a new board group partitioning starting 18 Sept 2018, will close this thread and refer all to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ep-2018-a.html

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
The only F passengers who might have to wait an extra two minutes are those who aren’t already 1K. And who are those? The ones who don’t fly nearly as much and are generally less hyper-sensitive to waiting an extra two minutes anyway.

PS – As a UA MM, I’ve never seen an F passenger on UA have to check a bag due to late boarding. Never.
Other than leisure flyers? Plats.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Wasn't in use at LGA today but I didn't expect it to be. I expect the LGA agents will need to be dragged to "United jail" kicking and screaming :-D

I'm also curious if the GS agent who usually meets all GS at flights will now be greeting 1Ks as well.

Don't forget...1Ks are still lowly children who board after 2-and-unders. It's just so odd to me to move GS to the 4th group and 1Ks to the 6th. The kids, IMO, should be the last pre-boards.

-RM
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
Oh great, now I have to trip over 1K Lice who hoard the boarding area. That will be oh so fun in ORD, SFO, ......
I like the chutes better. Just make Group #1 = 1K and Group #2 = Plat/Gold. And kick credit card holders to Group 3.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:28 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by JimInOhio

I’ve met the precious 1k spend threshold on a single ticket or 2. I don’t make 1k because 1) UA’s product has been 4-across in business mediocre (haven’t been on hard Polaris yet) and 2) convenience matters to me.

If if I am not the type of customer that UA wants to value then I guess I know where the door is.

But I’ll be shocked if they don’t tweak this to include premium cabin in pre-board. It’s just such an incredible disadvantage. Something DL and AA could and should do marketing over.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kokonutz
...But I’ll be shocked if they don’t tweak this to include premium cabin in pre-board...
How long are you prepared to wait until you decide to be "shocked"?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by Chukiechz
departed SNA today. Gate agent rapid fired off GS and 1K in the same breath, skipping the young children under 2. Barely took a step forward before a few other 1Ks rushed up.
Undoubtedly this will evolve into happening regularly. A good portion of GAs already don't pause enough between GS preboarding and Group 1 and create difficult and awkward boarding for GS. GS is being devalued with this change.

Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade
Oh great, now I have to trip over 1K Lice who hoard the boarding area. That will be oh so fun in ORD, SFO, ......
I like the chutes better.
100% agree. There are going to be literal cluster*$&#s happening in the limited spaces outside the boarding lanes. It's difficult enough for GS to find space to quietly linger to the side. Just wait for 20+ 1Ks to join the mess at all the hub gates.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Undoubtedly this will evolve into happening regularly. A good portion of GAs already don't pause enough between GS preboarding and Group 1 and create difficult and awkward boarding for GS. GS is being devalued with this change

Strangely, this change may actually ultimately help the "no time for GS" in the announcement sequence. There are enough 1Ks that the agents will pretty quickly discover that they need to wait or they cause issues. With 0, 1, or 2 GS it is pretty easy to just assume none and go on. With 5 or more 1Ks it will become obvious. I suspect that in the long run this will create more time for the GS boarding (so long as you don't mind at times boarding with the lowly 1Ks).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.