Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:43 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by jsloan
I dare say that you are dramatically overestimating the effect this is going to have on most peoples' travels.

On hub-to-hub routes, this is likely to irritate some people, although, practically speaking, being behind 50 people in line (at the end of Old Group 1) and 70 people in line (at the end of New Group 1) isn't really that different. But, people fly UA hub-to-hub for a reason -- either they're locked into UA because they also fly other routes, or they prefer the schedule flexibility they get when flying hub-to-hub. On non-hub-to-hub routes, there just aren't that many 1Ks.

I suppose they might lose some passengers to AA for ORD flights -- but, realistically, people who are flying SFO-IAD, DEN-EWR, LAX-IAH, etc. are going to fly UA the vast majority of the time.
In fairness, I don't care abut most peoples' travels. I care about mine. My home airport is DCA so I can fly any of the three legacies in paid F almost always with a stop (AA does a nice job with nonstops on the old US routes). That means I am always dealing with boarding process at both DCA as well as a hub. I have been annoyed with the UA process vice AA and DL for a while. And have complained about it through proper channels. And now they just make matters worse for paid F customers.

If they are going to assume that anyone with an F ticket is an upgrader or miles user and treat them that way then they are going to end up with no more paid F customers.

First should be first. EOS.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Realistically what matter (leaving aside notions of personal status) is bin space. Even for F passengers who want a PDB the reality is that most of the plane is going to board behind them. As to bin space - some of those 1Ks are already in F and as for the rest - they have an entire aircraft full of empty bin above their own seats to use so they aren't likely to be putting their bags in F if they are seated in PC. (Most of the offenders I see of this happen after the plane has started to fill up and a middle of the pack boarding person decides not to risk having to find a spot in coach where they belong.) I think it would have been smarter not to lump F into BG1 with Plats and Gold - i.e., make them BG1 by themselves. But really, other than finally giving back what was for a very long time a perq of being a 1K this doesn't change much for F folks. What this does have some hope of doing is to return to the PMUA approach that psychologically discouraged crowding around the lines. It won't likely do that immediately because UA has spent years training folks to crowd but if enforced it ultimately will reduce early line up. If there is no place to line up people will be less inclined feel like they need to do so. It also makes the bypass line concept very clear again and this was also a very good feature of the PMUA system in that it didn't super penalize folks for being a few minutes late to the gate. So from my perspective it is a positive change with the potential - if actually consistently applied - to reduce the gate scrum.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
This is going to be comical to watch at the hubs, especially with FC/Polaris non-status passengers who may be wondering why half of the plane is pre-boarding and their still waiting in line...
Truthfully, the only change in who's boarding prior to FC/Polaris passengers are the 1Ks. Looks like another tweak upward for them. Free food and drink in coach, priority meal choice in front cabins, and now get to breathe the same boarding area air as the GSs

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 17, 2018 at 6:05 pm
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:46 pm

yes we will board before families and their half dozen adult kids allegedly under 2 I spoke to a GS today and their website as well confirms that!
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:53 pm

I am not at all eager to get UA started on trying to differentiate between "real" F fares and "instant upgrade" F fares again. There is zero practical difference between -F- fares and /UPDI fares; let's please not introduce one.

Further, you're going to have people complaining because their TOD to "First Class" didn't give them access to this particular "First Class" perk.

Personally, as someone who prefers to spend less money rather than more, I am quite happy that UA doesn't try to discriminate against various groups of J/F passengers (e.g., removing Polaris access for upgraded passengers).
While I fully expect and understand this kind of reaction, it's important to understand that this is also what drives devaluation in the first place. Global First is a good example.

Here in the US we're spoiled with upgrades, but at the same time, we have the most lackluster INTL premium cabin and lounge experiences (yes, agree, PL has been a significant improvement, we'll see if it holds). Other *A airlines, LH and LX come to mind, still offer a real INTL F product today (and lounge access on domestic F fares). What they have in common is that they don't give cheap access to those experiences. It requires a heavy investment in $ or miles. Which is probably what you need if you want to offer a unique premium experience like the FCT.

(/UPDI Economy fares have been withdrawn, which is a good thing. This is about -E- vs -F- fares which are coded differently in class, basis and rules.)

The domestic F cabin has rarely been worth the price to me. I'm happy to accept upgrades, but that's because I value the experience at far less than what they want to charge for it.
Right, this pretty much underlines my point. You're absolutely right based on the arguments you provide. If devaluations like the subject of this thread keep creeping in, more and more pax will think the same, and in the end, United First's demise will be only one economic recession away. UA will say that there was no more demand for a premium cabin. Similar to how there was no more demand for GF, although foreign carriers keep flying INTL F in and out of the US. Think an *A carrier can't get away with domestic economy-only? Ask SK.

I hope you're following me here. It's not about differentiating between upgraders and non-upgraders per se, it's about making sure that there will always be a premium cabin to upgrade in. One that is actually worthy of the "premium" cabin nomer. With perks like - you know - premium boarding, for those who prefer that.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Truthfully, the only change in who's boarding prior to FC/Polaris passengers are the 1Ks.
Also UA and Star Golds who gate lice.

Back in the UA glory days pre-Jeffey and the debacle what was the merger, 'pre-boarding' meant First Class and 1Ks. The most loyal and most valuable customers.

Now UA values a FC customer as much as a mid-tier elite. That's just sad. What does that say about their corporate culture?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Also UA and Star Golds who gate lice...
Where does it say Golds will board before FC/Polaris? The lice problem you abhor was there before, but they were 1K. Now they're Gold. Lice w/i a group never bothered me. That's a personal choice to stand in line or not. I see it all the time - people on the trip of their lifetime standing at the head of Lane 1 for half an hour prior to flights to/from Hawaii. If you're annoyed that you're not boarding first in your group so you can sit in the seat longer before take-off, there's a solution...

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 17, 2018 at 6:03 pm
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Originally Posted by MMBlakes
Starting tomorrow the preboard order is

disabilities
military
gs
families
It was this at UA in FRA today.
Sadly it was a bus gate so it really didn't matter ... you all got on the same bus and then it was a free-for-all for who boarded.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by kokonutz
If they are going to assume that anyone with an F ticket is an upgrader or miles user and treat them that way then they are going to end up with no more paid F customers.
With all due respect that is absurd. Everyone buys F for different reasons. People with no status maybe get the most out of it. But for me I buy up to F when I am unlikely to secure a CPU/RPU (due to high # of GS) and want to be comfortable for a longer flight. Or flying with family and want to buy 2 into F and take my chances with CPU for the other 2 (did this successfully this year). This will have zero affect on my plans even if I drop back to Group 1 (as lifetime Gold).

Yes the occasional non-elite who buys F might be surprised to find himself boarding after half the plane at SFO. But he's still gonna be in his comfy seat, still has plenty of overhead space, still gets his preflight drink, and will still deplane before all those 1Ks crammed into E+. He will probably be more cheesed when he discovers that he can't get his 1st or 2nd meal choice because all the elites in F have priority. But that's a catering incompetence issue.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:07 pm

Not a fan... devalues a GS perk and effectively kills group 1 by flooding it with golds.

I usually board between groups 1 & 2 but now will have to line up early to ensure overhead space for the inevitable times when the gate agent doesn't call 1K during pre-boarding. There are far too many 1Ks for this not to be a disaster... hopefully they raise the PQD requirement to cut down on 1Ks next year.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:07 pm

Just got the email...Board in Group 1 as part of our better boarding processBeginning September 18, we’re unveiling boarding enhancements — designed to improve your overall experience when boarding — at every airport across our system. We’ve been focused on a better boarding experience and want to let you know about a few key enhancements you’ll notice.No need to line up before your group is called: As a United MileagePlus® Premier® Gold member, you’re now part of Group 1 and will get to board earlier.Less crowding: We’re saying so long to five lanes and are simplifying to only two lanes. You’ll board through Lane 1 when Group 1 is announced and can continue to use Lane 1 to board even if you arrive at the gate after Group 1 has been called.Improved digital displays and boarding communication: Monitors around the gate will display clear and relevant information about boarding and your flight. If you prefer to spend your time away from the gate, you can now opt in to receive a United app notification that lets you know boarding has started.*Thank you for being one of our most loyal MileagePlus members, and we look forward to seeing you on board soon.Learn more ›
*For the most up-to-date itinerary information, please visit united.com.

program.To contact the sender, write to:
United Airlines, Inc.
233 S. Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL 60606© 2018 United Airlines, Inc. All rights reserved.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:08 pm

Where does it say Golds will board before FC/Polaris? The lice problem you abhor was there before, but they were 1K. Now they're Gold. Lice w/i a group never bothered me. That's a personal choice to stand in line or not. I see it all the time - people on the trip of their lifetime standing at the head of Lane 1 for 45 minutes on flights to/from Hawaii.
Golds now board in group 1 along with Plat's. Rarely do I see FC passengers line up 50+ mins before boarding, but then again it may be the routes I fly. There are for sure more Gold's than 1K's though, so there's definitely a good possibility of more people lining up early, which would push FC to the back of undoubtedly long lines.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:08 pm

Where does it say Golds will board before FC/Polaris? The lice problem you abhor was there before, but they were 1K. Now they're Gold. Lice w/i a group never bothered me. That's a personal choice to stand in line or not. I see it all the time - people on the trip of their lifetime standing at the head of Lane 1 for 45 minutes prior to flights to/from Hawaii.
Right there in the new system. Golds board in Group 1 just like premium cabin passengers.

Originally Posted by Boraxo
With all due respect that is absurd. Everyone buys F for different reasons. People with no status maybe get the most out of it. But for me I buy up to F when I am unlikely to secure a CPU/RPU (due to high # of GS) and want to be comfortable for a longer flight. Or flying with family and want to buy 2 into F and take my chances with CPU for the other 2 (did this successfully this year). This will have zero affect on my plans even if I drop back to Group 1 (as lifetime Gold).

Yes the occasional non-elite who buys F might be surprised to find himself boarding after half the plane at SFO. But he's still gonna be in his comfy seat, still has plenty of overhead space, still gets his preflight drink, and will still deplane before all those 1Ks crammed into E+. He will probably be more cheesed when he discovers that he can't get his 1st or 2nd meal choice because all the elites in F have priority. But that's a catering incompetence issue.
I've been flying UA via ORD quite a bit this summer and I have seen 4 or 5 instances at ORD where FC overhead space is full by the time the last couple F pax get on toward the end of Group 1. And by then its way too late to know which E pax threw a bag or 2 up there. With this change there will be even MORE E pax ahead of FC pax in boarding.

It's a simple and true fact that for me as a paid F pax it is far less stressful to connect in CLT or DFW or DTW or ATL on AA or DL than it is to connect at a UA hub. I know I will be among the first on and know I will get overhead space....even if I won't get a PDB from sAA FAs...although I CAN pre-order my meal!!!!

Last edited by kokonutz; Sep 17, 2018 at 6:18 pm
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
I am 1k.
I have a headache now.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Golds now board in group 1 along with Plat's. Rarely do I see FC passengers line up 50+ mins before boarding, but then again it may be the routes I fly. There are for sure more Gold's than 1K's though, so there's definitely a good possibility of more people lining up early, which would push FC to the back of undoubtedly long lines.
On some elite heavy routes, 1k and Plat far outnumber Gold and below.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.