Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA MM
As others have alluded, this is simply a way of creating another boarding group without blatantly devaluing the "elite access" feature of their credit cards (which probably matters more to these airlines than anything else). Frankly, I think it makes sense. BG2 is often 60+% of the passengers on a flight and I know many have complained to United that BG2 is an almost worthless benefit for UA Gold and *A Gold passengers.

Last edited by JimInOhio; Sep 17, 2018 at 3:35 pm
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Mixed feelings about new boarding scheme. I like that UA Golds and *G's now board before people with credit cards, but piling in most elites and most premium passengers (except for those that are 1k) will make for a huge Group 1.

Overall a positive change, but this is going to lead to a massive Group 1. It is good though that UA Golds and *G's get to board before those with credit cards.
TomA likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 17, 2018 at 9:23 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by LordHamster
Because, there is a benefit to getting the FC cabin settled... remember FC service and boarding early allows you three benefits.

1. Overhead access issues avoided.
2. You can enjoy your pre-departure drink in peace.
3. You can get some pre-departure work done on the laptop
THIS!!
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:44 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by FrenchBullies1975
There's rarely ever a problem getting bin space on F/C.
This just ain't so.

There's always a problem, especially on smaller planes such as the 737 or 320. This is because the bulkhead pax in the front row of F have no underseat storage in front of them: everything has to go in the overhead, which often means placing it above a row behind your own, especially if it's a plane where the first bin on the left as you look towards the cockpit is unusable because it contains safety equipment or (too often) crew luggage. If you're on a regional jet or similar, it's even worse, with bins only on one side of the plane.

On larger planes, there are still problems. Many bins in C on 767s are too small to take a regular rollaboard. On a 777 with 2+4+2 in C, there simply isn't enough bin space above each row to accommodate the hand luggage of eight pax.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
I'm probably in the minority here, but the absolute only reason I enjoy boarding first is to snag overhead space.

Otherwise, I prefer to board at the very last minute to avoid spending anymore time on board then I absolutely have to. If UA found a way to secure space for my carry-on, regardless of the time I boarded, this would be something I'd be ecstatic about!
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Email I just got from UA said this rolls out tomorrow (September 18th).
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Selfishly, I'm excited to no longer have to lice the G1 line to make sure my bag goes up, although I have my doubts on implementation; this will be a mess both in terms of the number of preboards and also if the GA forgets to do the new procedure. I'm excited to be treated to preboarding, but getting real for a moment there are way too many 1Ks for this.

It's a bit of a slap in the face to the rest of the paid F cabin, and I guess despite my constant angst about getting in line, 757s have taught me that the problem must be poaching from Y pax. I definitely agree that it would be wonderful to lock the bins and then board F last once the rest of the cabin is settled. More lounge or house time and less time spent anxiously waiting to get on the plane early.

I think the big miss here is that they didn't bump paid E+ into G2 like DL does; seems like an easy add.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 1P
This just ain't so.

There's always a problem, especially on smaller planes such as the 737 or 320. This is because the bulkhead pax in the front row of F have no underseat storage in front of them: everything has to go in the overhead, which often means placing it above a row behind your own, especially if it's a plane where the first bin on the left as you look towards the cockpit is unusable because it contains safety equipment or (too often) crew luggage. If you're on a regional jet or similar, it's even worse, with bins only on one side of the plane.

On larger planes, there are still problems. Many bins in C on 767s are too small to take a regular rollaboard. On a 777 with 2+4+2 in C, there simply isn't enough bin space above each row to accommodate the hand luggage of eight pax.
Exactly. If I’m travelling with a rollerbag and especially my camera gear, no way do I feel comfortable booking the bulkhead, and even in a regular row, I always have to line up early for fear they’ll make me gate check.
I VERY often see late arriving F pax have to do just that.
I couldn’t care less about my PDB, just give me bin space.

I don’t know if they still do it, but last time I flew AS they let bulkhead pax board first. That’s brilliant.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by findark
I'm excited to be treated to preboarding, but getting real for a moment there are way too many 1Ks for this.
Exactly. Any predictions about min spend of 15k next year for 1k?

It's a bit of a slap in the face to the rest of the paid F cabin
Seriously. I don't understand this. At least give them Group 1 or something.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
There goes a GS benefit...some routes already have so many GS that pre-boarding becomes a mess, now with 1Ks, pre-boarding will be nearing group 1 volume (especially on routes with a lot of kids....)
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by zymm
So there's now even less incremental value between Gold and Plat. Flying out of SFO, BG1 is the main reason I went for Plat over Gold. Now I'll have to get to the gate super early every time I'm sitting in a bulkhead seat, as trailing in at the end of BG1 won't cut it anymore. Definitely curious to see how preboarding half the plane works out though!
Yep. UA just lost a decent amount of my business. I really valued platinum over gold, for this specific reason (also the E+, but primarily this). I fly EWR-MSP a ton, and DL often has better timing. I'll clear gold, and then move most of my business to DL.

Also.....I can't believe airlines haven't figured out how to monetize overhead space. I would love to pay a nominal fee ($10-20?) to have a dedicated storage area for my bag above my seat. It would eliminate 90% of the boarding hassle.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 17, 2018 at 9:05 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
They have group 1.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*
* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

https://www.united.com/web/en-us/con...g-process.aspx
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by DCEsquire
Paid F passengers are already BG1.

Putting 1K ahead of FC makes sense, I think. The 12K+ in revenue from a 1K is more valuable than the $1200 revenue in a RT TCON P-fare. Passengers that fly F/J internationally more than 1-2x per year will hit 1K in no time.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gold23
Also.....I can't believe airlines haven't figured out how to monetize overhead space.
It is called Basic Economy.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:27 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
It's a bit of a slap in the face to the rest of the paid F cabin, .
Yes, if you are going to effectively treat paid first and business class customers as group six you are going to lose many of those customers, myself included.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.